• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    What would you guys say is one of the better Dragon types?

I've been using a Tyrantrum, but feel he may have run his course. Thinking of switching him out for a Haxorus, good choice?

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • What would you guys say is one of the better Dragon types?

I've been using a Tyrantrum, but feel he may have run his course. Thinking of switching him out for a Haxorus, good choice?

Zygarde, Period. that or Palkia or Zekrom.

but if not looking for Legendary, I'd say mega Garchomp with a focus sash or an anti-ice/fairy berry or Mega Stone..

I have over 1000 battles on X&Y and of all the dragons types I've faced, Zygarde has been the most durable/hardest hitting, able to survive a moonblast/dazzling gleam from my Xerneas while 100% of the non-legendaries aren't.. but of the non-legendaries, Garchomp has been the one to cause more damage to my team (when Xerneas isn't out or fainted) than any others who have weaknesses to common attacks which garchomp doesn't and usually end up one-shot by a common fighting move..

Last edited:
    Years
  • Zygarde, Period. that or Palkia or Zekrom.

but if not looking for Legendary, I'd say Garchomp.

I have over 1000 battles on X&Y and of all the dragons types I've faced, Zygarde has been the most durable/hardest hitting, able to survive a moonblast/dazzling gleam while the others aren't.. but of the non-legendaries, Garchomp has been the one to cause more damage to my team than any other who just usually end up one-shot by common fighting moves or ice beams and such..

She might have suggested a few already but I think Goodra is another solid option.

You can get a Goomy on Route 14, it evolves to Sliggoo at Level 40 and then eventually to Goodra around Level 50 provided you level it up in an area that's raining. While the evolution process can get annoying, it does learn a lot of good attacks, plus Goodra can hit well on both the physical and special sides.

It's definitely one of the more balanced Dragon-type options you can get, definitely give it a shot if you want.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    Zygarde, Period. that or Palkia or Zekrom.

but if not looking for Legendary, I'd say Garchomp.

I have over 1000 battles on X&Y and of all the dragons types I've faced, Zygarde has been the most durable/hardest hitting, able to survive a moonblast/dazzling gleam while the others aren't.. but of the non-legendaries, Garchomp has been the one to cause more damage to my team than any other who just usually end up one-shot by common fighting moves or ice beams and such..
    I have Palkia and Zekrom on White, but well, we all know the situation with the Pokebank at the moment. Not a huge fan of using legendaries in Squads.

If Garchomp didn't have a mega, which would you suggest between: Haxorus, Salamence, Dragonite and Garchomp?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    What would you guys say is one of the better Dragon types?

Haxorus is definitely a good choice. I've used it before; it performs pretty decently. For moves, I'd suggest you should go with Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Brick Break, and either Swords or Dragon Dance. As far as EVs are concerned, maximize them on Attack and Speed and put the rest on HP. :]

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • If Garchomp didn't have a mega, which would you suggest between: Haxorus, Salamence, Dragonite and Garchomp?

Garchomp still.. give it a focus sash or anti-ice/fairy berry instead of mega stone if you didn't want to mega evolve it.. Haxorus, salamance just easily gets one-shotted by everything Dragonite would be my 2nd choice, but it has one issue.. it's slower usually compared to the pokemon that will kill it..

Also what's good about garchomp is it's movepool to give you full coverage against foes.. teach it Rock Slide/Stone Edge to take care of flying/dragonite opponents, teach it earthquake, teach it dragon claw to kill all the other slower dragons (like on your list), and finally teach it iron head so it can stand up against Fairy types

Last edited:
    Years
  • Haxorus is the earliest of the Dragon encounters iirc, since you can catch Axew in Connecting Cave. Bagon is also found almost right after there, on Route 8. Both become very strong as Haxorus and Salamence and learn some good attacks.

Gible isn't found til Route 13, but thankfully they aren't very rare since the only things found there alongside it are Trapinch and Dugtrio. You can't get Garchomp's Mega Stone until postgame however.

Dratini is like, way too late in the game, you fish for them at Route 21 with a Good Rod. However, you can use a Super Rod there to get Dragonair which might be easier to train due to their higher level.

And of course there's the aforementioned Goomy (found on Route 14, but you can get wild Sliggoo on Route 19 as well) I said earlier if you want a more balanced Dragon. Goodra has balanced attacking stats, impressive Sp. Defense and learns a good bunch of moves through both level-up and TMs allowing good coverage. You do need to level up Sliggoo in a rainy area though, but it's definitely worth it.

So yeah, quite a few good options. Just take a look and see what you like.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • You could always give it to a Bunnelby and ask for a Xerneas or some rarer legendary that you have on the other game. It's unlikely anyone would accept that trade, and if they do, you just got yourself a legendary :P
    I wouldn't recommend this. See, I got plenty of Xerneas and Yveltas, and so do lots of people. If someone were to offer it like this, I'd just trade my XY right away. So yeah, not a wise idea.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • I wouldn't recommend this. See, I got plenty of Xerneas and Yveltas, and so do lots of people. If someone were to offer it like this, I'd just trade my XY right away. So yeah, not a wise idea.

I haven't done this for items. but I have stumbled upon a few postings on GTS where you can tell the person was probably trying to send a Special Pokemon to themselves as they asked for either the most obscure Pokemon or a legendary with a particular level that isn't possible unless hacked (from prev gen) or maxed out or would be crazy to trade... wither of which on some occasions I just happened to have in my PCs and that's how I ended up getting extra Lugia, Xerneas, and whatever :P

So yeah.. I highly recommend that if you have something of value to send to yourself or a friend.. STAY CLEAR OF GTS.. there are players out there who will be willing to send a duplicate/clone or Pokemon they don't need/want to get that "special item/Pokemon" you tried to send..

Instead just better to find a friend or trustworthy individual here on the forums who are willing to help relay the items/Pokemon :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    If Garchomp didn't have a mega, which would you suggest between: Haxorus, Salamence, Dragonite and Garchomp?

All four are very good. Haxorus is probably the weakest of them all imo. Garchomp is certainly the most commonly used, and with good reason. I'd even say its regular form is possibly better than its Mega form, simply because it has higher Speed and it frees up the item slot for something else (I use Life Orb, personally). And then you can use something else as your Mega Pokemon. Salamence and Dragonite are best used with their Hidden Abilities, but both are still good without.

I wouldn't recommend this. See, I got plenty of Xerneas and Yveltas, and so do lots of people. If someone were to offer it like this, I'd just trade my XY right away. So yeah, not a wise idea.

That's why I suggested asking for a rarer legendary if you have one, like Groudon or something. But if you specify a Lv.91-100 Xerneas, I don't think you'd get any takers in the minute it takes to switch games, particularly since no-one searches for Bunnelby lol. Or you could do something equally bizarre and ask for a Lv.91-100 Taillow, which of course you will have the time to train on your other game, but no-one will have one ready. There are plenty of pretty safe options.

Last edited:

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • All four are very good. Haxorus is probably the weakest of them all imo. Garchomp is certainly the most commonly used, and with good reason. I'd even say its regular form is possibly better than its Mega form, simply because it has higher Speed and it frees up the item slot for something else (I use Life Orb, personally). And then you can use something else as your Mega Pokemon. Salamence and Dragonite are best used with their Hidden Abilities, but both are still good without.

I still think Garchomp is the best choice mainly for the #1 reason. of all the dragons, it's the only one who can learn a Super Effective move against Fairies, Iron Head.. While 100% of the others cannot, thus meaning they are totally defenseless (aside from a few weak poison moves) and unable to deal the fairies with a 1-hit KO or massive damage.

There are a couple that can learn Flash Cannon. but considering that the good dragons are physical attackers. Flash cannon is extremely weak in comparison and at best will only take away 20-50% of health, even Dramatically less 5%-10% if against a Geomancy'd/Calm Minded Fairy, while iron head will still deal a 80%-100% blow.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I still think Garchomp is the best choice mainly for the #1 reason. of all the dragons, it's the only one who can learn a Super Effective move against Fairies, Iron Head.. While 100% of the others cannot, thus meaning they are totally defenseless (aside from a few weak poison moves) and unable to deal the fairies with a 1-hit KO or massive damage.

Yep, I use Iron Head on my Garchomp, it can be very useful.

There are a couple that can learn Flash Cannon. but considering that the good dragons are physical attackers. Flash cannon is extremely weak in comparison and at best will only take away 20-50% of health while iron head will deal a 80%-100% blow.

This isn't strictly true. Hydreigon is a very good Dragon-type special attacker. Although I probably wouldn't give it Flash Cannon anyway, since it has a pretty huge movepool and would probably be better off with a different move instead. Switching is often better than trying to take out the Fairy.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I still think Garchomp is the best choice mainly for the #1 reason. of all the dragons, it's the only one who can learn a Super Effective move against Fairies, Iron Head.. While 100% of the others cannot, thus meaning they are totally defenseless (aside from a few weak poison moves) and unable to deal the fairies with a 1-hit KO or massive damage.

There are a couple that can learn Flash Cannon. but considering that the good dragons are physical attackers. Flash cannon is extremely weak in comparison and at best will only take away 20-50% of health, even Dramatically less 5%-10% if against a Geomancy'd/Calm Minded Fairy, while iron head will still deal a 80%-100% blow.

Yep, I use Iron Head on my Garchomp, it can be very useful.

This isn't strictly true. Hydreigon is a very good Dragon-type special attacker. Although I probably wouldn't give it Flash Cannon anyway, since it has a pretty huge movepool and would probably be better off with a different move instead. Switching is often better than trying to take out the Fairy.
    There's no need for Garchomp to use Iron Head because Earthquake already hits Fairies hard enough, while Stone Edge lets it take care of Togekiss:
    Proof:
    neutral STAB Earthquake: 100 x 1.5 = 150
    unSTABed super effective Iron Head: 80 x 1.5 = 160

Power difference isn't noticeable; Iron Head isn't worth using on Garchomp, IMO.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

There are more Dragon Types that learn Steel type attacks that can be used to fight against Fairy Types. There are other types that can help them fight as well.

Goodra can learn Sludgebomb, Sludgewave, and Poison Tail as well as Iron Tail. Dragonite learns Iron Tail. Altaria can learn Steel Wing. Flygon can learn Steel Wing. Hydreigon can learn Flash Cannon (Since its Special Attack oriented its better with Flash Cannon). Tyrantrum has Poison Fang. Noivern can use Steel Wing Garchomp has Iron Head and Iron Tail, though Iron Tail is better.

Iron Tail is most likely going to reappear on the Move Tutor list since its not spread out like it used to be. Most of the Dragons have some way to defend themselves.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    some questions

1. Does it matter which gender gets put in the fast care first (breeding)
    2. Can other Pokemon equip the quick powder, metal powder, lucky punch, or light ball besides the Pokemon mention in the description to gain the effect?
    3. Are there any tricks to getting more chance of a gender hatching from the egg?
    4. I have lots and lots of money. What use are they for?(got alot of everything)
    5.in amie, my etting are only 3 hearts, can i get more then that?
    Sorry, I'm using my phone or else i would have used the quick answers

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    1) No.
    2) No.
    3) No.
    4) IDK, there might be something for you to buy in the Pokémon world. Maybe see if the clothing stores have something you like? You kinda get to a point where you have a lotta money and not much to do with it.
    5) Your Pokémon can have a max of 5 hearts, iirc. Not sure if there's anything special you need to do to get that many, I don't do Pokémon Amie much myself. But just keep doing stuff with them, maybe it'll go up more.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • 1. Does it matter which gender gets put in the fast care first (breeding)
    2. Can other Pokemon equip the quick powder, metal powder, lucky punch, or light ball besides the Pokemon mention in the description to gain the effect?
    3. Are there any tricks to getting more chance of a gender hatching from the egg?
    4. I have lots and lots of money. What use are they for?(got alot of everything)
    5.in amie, my etting are only 3 hearts, can i get more then that?
    Sorry, I'm using my phone or else i would have used the quick answers

1) no.
    2) no.
    3) no.
    4) you can buy all the clothes from the boutiques if you haven't done that yet. other than that, there isn't much use if you have a lot of the essentials (potions, poke balls, etc).
    5) it goes up to 5 hearts, which is the max.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back