• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Third Version Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2018
Ever since I read Zygarde's Pokedex entry, I knew there was going to be a third version. Revealing it's secret power when the ecosystem starts to fall apart- that is the foundation for an awesome plot. The games are not going to take place at the same time as X and Y and they will be sequels. It will probably be called Z, as in X and Y, the legendaries' names started out with the first letter of the game (X, Xerneas and Y, Yveltal- Z, Zygarde).

I have a few different ideas of what's going to happen plotwise:
1) there is going to be a war among the humans of Kalos. They mention all of these things about a war in Pokemon X and Y, so I figure with Z what will happen is there is going to be a war and people are going to destroy themselves and Zygarde is going to come out. Will there be an official team of bad guys? Probably multiple teams of bad guys in this game- more than two, with differing intentions and each of the bad guys are going to contribute in their own way to the destruction of the ecosystem. Zygarde is going to show up somehow and stop the war.
2) That quirky electric-type gym leader will make an invention and it will go horribly wrong and destroy things in the environment and mutate Pokemon, changing their type and ability in mutated form. Zygarde would come in after a while and save the world, however it would be captured by the electric-type gym leader, who turns out to be a villain, and you'll have to find him battle him and eventually he'll let Zygarde free and then Zygarde will save the world and he'll hide somewhere, maybe back in Terminus cave, maybe they'll invent a completely new lair for him, who knows, for you to catch.

I don't know how much Xerneas and Yveltal would be involved in the game. I don't think at all. Maybe catchable post-game but they're not going to be very important to the main plot.

Now in terms of where the game will take place, I think it will occur in Kalos. However maybe we will get to peer into the southern part of Kalos and explore that a little bit more than just one town down there. I think Terminus cave will be expanded and will have more of a central role in the plot, maybe if my second theory is correct, it will be Clemont's hideout and there may be some new areas in Kalos.

Rivals: Clemont's sister, maybe she'll finally be of age to be a trainer by that time.
I'm not sure if the rivals in the original games will become rival characters in Pokemon Z, especially not Shauna who wanted to explore a faraway region next time.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Maybe Pokémon Z could happen, but as paid DLC for X/Y, not a separate cartridge.

That's what I said in the first place!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[F]irst off, honestly, can someone PLEASE explain to me why anyone EVER expected a pokemon grey? Gamefreak just picks colours/metals/jewels at random to name games, so why on earth would black and white result in grey when blue/green and red resulted in yellow, Gold and Silver resulted in Crystal, Ruby and Sapphire resulted in Emerald, Diamond and Pearl resulted in Platinum, so the question is not why Gamefreak didn't do what was expected and not make grey but rather why isn't' anyone asking why people were EVER expecting grey? Have they seen the colour grey? It's drab and not very exciting, why would you name a game after it? Why not name it "17th monster related cartridge industry"? When has Gamefreak EVER released a third game in a series that was a merging of the previous two? Okay, rant done

I wouldn't exactly say that GameFreak names their games at random, per se. If you really think about it, Yellow's namesake probably came from mixing Red and Green's namesakes using the RGB color scale. Another thing I've noticed is that the names of the Pokémon games from Generations II and IV actually complement each other quite nicely since Generation II's first two games are named after metals, as is Generation IV's director's cut, and Generation IV's first two games are named after different kinds of crystals, the category of minerals which was used as the name for Generation II's director's cut.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, for people that keep citing "Gamefreak said they will be doing something different" is everyone honestly just totally forgetting the Pokken game that's coming out? I mean, you can't get much different than a Tekken style fighting game for the Pokemon RPG series. That's obviously what Gamefreak has been referring to this past little while.

I wish Pokkén Fighters/Pokkén Tournament wasn't just exclusive to Japanese arcades, though…

I gotta agree, a new console Pokemon game would be great. They haven't done one since like Battle Revolution back in Gen 4, right?

Seconded! (Off-Topic: Speaking of which, I might want to get back to my current play-through of Colosseum…except for the fact that I may need to restart my game because I saved after failing to catch a Shadow Pokémon — yeah, I know: ouch, it hurts….)

Ever since I read Zygarde's Pokedex entry, I knew there was going to be a third version. Revealing it's secret power when the ecosystem starts to fall apart- that is the foundation for an awesome plot. The games are not going to take place at the same time as X and Y and they will be sequels. It will probably be called Z, as in X and Y, the legendaries' names started out with the first letter of the game (X, Xerneas and Y, Yveltal- Z, Zygarde).

This is somewhat off-topic, but I'd just like to point out something in your post that bothers me to you: first you say that, "The games are not going to take place at the same time as X and Y and they will be sequels," which tells us that you think that the sequel will be split into a pair of games like Black 2 and White 2 were, but then you say that, "It will probably be called Z, …," which implies that you believe that only one game will be released. So, which is it?

I have a few different ideas of what's going to happen plotwise:
1) there is going to be a war among the humans of Kalos. They mention all of these things about a war in Pokemon X and Y, so I figure with Z what will happen is there is going to be a war and people are going to destroy themselves and Zygarde is going to come out. Will there be an official team of bad guys? Probably multiple teams of bad guys in this game- more than two, with differing intentions and each of the bad guys are going to contribute in their own way to the destruction of the ecosystem. Zygarde is going to show up somehow and stop the war.

…except that the war that was mentioned in X and Y happened 3,000 years ago?

2) That quirky electric-type gym leader will make an invention and it will go horribly wrong and destroy things in the environment and mutate Pokemon, changing their type and ability in mutated form. Zygarde would come in after a while and save the world, however it would be captured by the electric-type gym leader, who turns out to be a villain, and you'll have to find him battle him and eventually he'll let Zygarde free and then Zygarde will save the world and he'll hide somewhere, maybe back in Terminus cave, maybe they'll invent a completely new lair for him, who knows, for you to catch.

This seems unlikely given that, judging from his appearance (since I haven't gotten that far in Y yet due to Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, AlphaSapphire, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, etc.,) Clemont, being the inventor of Super Training as of X and Y (I suppose that'll have to be retconned in order not to contradict the fact that this feature exists in OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire,) seems to be what you call 'quirky' in a rather friendly way.

I don't know how much Xerneas and Yveltal would be involved in the game. I don't think at all. Maybe catchable post-game but they're not going to be very important to the main plot.

The fact that a generation's two original games' mascots still play at least some role in each director's cut we receive makes me question this reasoning.

Now in terms of where the game will take place, I think it will occur in Kalos. However maybe we will get to peer into the southern part of Kalos and explore that a little bit more than just one town down there. I think Terminus cave will be expanded and will have more of a central role in the plot, maybe if my second theory is correct, it will be Clemont's hideout and there may be some new areas in Kalos.

Regardless of how whatever GameFreak does with our return to Kalos, seeing more places is always great, so count me in on looking forward to seeing some of the more southerly parts of the region!

Rivals: Clemont's sister, maybe she'll finally be of age to be a trainer by that time.
I'm not sure if the rivals in the original games will become rival characters in Pokemon Z, especially not Shauna who wanted to explore a faraway region next time.

Hmmm…I wonder where Shauna might go? (Maybe that'd suit Generation VII better, though….)

Oh, one more thing: sorry for replying in such a rapid-fire manner and lumping it all into one post, guys, but I thought that doing so might be more acceptable than posting a bunch of separate replies!

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I think he means that the plot of the next game(s) could be that a new war erupts in Kalos after 3000 years of relative peace.

Which I think would be an interesting plot, provided that Game Freak actually tries to develop the story and characters this time.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
I think he means that the plot of the next game(s) could be that a new war erupts in Kalos after 3000 years of relative peace.

Which I think would be an interesting plot, provided that Game Freak actually tries to develop the story and characters this time.

As much as I'd like to see this, how likely would it be for this to happen?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2018
This is somewhat off-topic, but I'd just like to point out something in your post that bothers me to you: first you say that, "The games are not going to take place at the same time as X and Y and they will be sequels," which tells us that you think that the sequel will be split into a pair of games like Black 2 and White 2 were, but then you say that, "It will probably be called Z, …," which implies that you believe that only one game will be released. So, which is it?

I meant Z, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, XYZ. That's my feeling. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, but there may be another war that happens now, after 3000 years of peace (Zekrom nailed it right on the head) because Lysandre did hint at there being problems in Kalos during X and Y. Maybe in Z these problems will be amplified and more prevalent, and another war will begin among the people. It may have happened 3000 years ago, but history is known to repeat itself. And this war may cause some shifts and problems in the ecosystem. This will cause things to happen with Zygarde and the "secret power" we are informed of in Pokemon X and Y. That's the reason that I think it's likely the war would happen- I think that they are preparing something big with Zygarde.

This seems unlikely given that, judging from his appearance (since I haven't gotten that far in Y yet due to Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, AlphaSapphire, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, etc.,) Clemont, being the inventor of Super Training as of X and Y (I suppose that'll have to be retconned in order not to contradict the fact that this feature exists in OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire,) seems to be what you call 'quirky' in a rather friendly way.

Hey, all that stuff may be a mask to his true identity. He creates very odd inventions. You never know, this theory is a little out there, but it could be plausible. People do have secret dark sides. GameFreak said they are trying to surprise us. An evil invention that would screw up the ecosystem- that would allow for Zygarde to take part in the story.

The fact that a generation's two original games' mascots still play at least some role in each director's cut we receive makes me question this reasoning.

GameFreak DID SAY they were looking to surprise us. I wouldn't be surprised if they broke that pattern of involving the other two legendaries. However, maybe they will try to surprise fans like me who think they're going to break the status quo by not breaking the status quo at all :p

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
FRIGGIN IPHONE WIFI BOOTING ME OFF EVERY TEN SECONDS

AHEM

So I'm sorry if this has been said before, I didn't read this thread all the way through and I've never heard it anywhere else.

Gen 5 had to be special and set apart from the other games. Normal games tend to be first and second releases with a third version and remakes somewhere. Since there were no previous gen pokes getting any evolutions due to BW being entirely different, they didn't really need a remake. Plus since they needed to be different, why not two direct sequels with unique stories in the same gen?
XY already follows the normal formula: first and second versions with new Pokemon(ie fenniken) new evolutions(Sylveon) and even Megas now bring more older pokes back. They've also had the OrAs remakes in their gen. The next game is more than likely to be a special sister third version game.... Z. No not because XYZ makes perfect sense, or it could be called A, H, O, etc. I mean: X and Y are coorodnants on a 2d plane. The games are in 3d. The third dimension coorodnant is Z. Makes more sense to me. So anything else would most likely result in poor planning by GF. Not that I wouldn't buy X2Y2 if it comes to that. >.>

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Honestly, if the next games were a sequel, I don't see how they would be able to incorporate Team Flare. Isn't that whole team dead? Or did just Lysandre die?
Anyway, I'd prefer it if the next games were called XZ and YZ or ZX and ZY rather than X2 and Y2. Mostly because it looks a bit cooler. And the Z looks like a 2 anyway, or I guess the 2 could be stylised to be similar to Zygarde.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Personally, I'd like to see GameFreak use the names 'Pokémon Z' and 'Pokémon W' for the Kalos sequels if paired sequels are what we get due to reasons I've mentioned before, but I suppose that only really makes sense if Hoopa is involved somehow since he messes with time, the fourth dimension, by warping things all over the place and maybe even between forks of the Pokémon franchise's timeline.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2018
Honestly, if the next games were a sequel, I don't see how they would be able to incorporate Team Flare. Isn't that whole team dead? Or did just Lysandre die?

Post-game, there is a Team Flare grunt in Kiloude City. Not everyone in Team Flare died, just the individuals who were in Team Flare's secret base at the time the Ultimate Weapon was activated.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years

Yes, but there may be another war that happens now, after 3000 years of peace (Zekrom nailed it right on the head) because Lysandre did hint at there being problems in Kalos during X and Y. Maybe in Z these problems will be amplified and more prevalent, and another war will begin among the people. It may have happened 3000 years ago, but history is known to repeat itself. And this war may cause some shifts and problems in the ecosystem. This will cause things to happen with Zygarde and the "secret power" we are informed of in Pokemon X and Y. That's the reason that I think it's likely the war would happen- I think that they are preparing something big with Zygarde.

Maybe for the next console Pokémon game or a new entry in the Pokémon Conquest side series if there ever is one, but it seems unlikely to me that GameFreak would ever do something as cool as making a pair of main-series Pokémon games whose shared plot revolves around a Pokémon war. The company might help make a Pokémon Conquest game set during the war in which Lieutenant Surge participated and might even allow the Pokémon Company International to insert it into the main canon's timeline, but I doubt that it would be the dominant force behind this game's development.

Hey, all that stuff may be a mask to his true identity. He creates very odd inventions. You never know, this theory is a little out there, but it could be plausible. People do have secret dark sides. GameFreak said they are trying to surprise us. An evil invention that would screw up the ecosystem[ — ]that would allow for Zygarde to take part in the story.

I'm just not sure how something like this would fit in with what we know about Clemont right now. I can imagine GameFreak giving Clemont some additional back-story that reveals him as having been embittered by the theft of the rights to some invention of his that could power such a device if it were created by some other organization, but my current impressions of Clemont are that he wouldn't have it in himself to be involved directly.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
MAJOR SPOILERS FOR OR/AS… probably…:

Okay so a few months ago there was a thread on the board about how OR/AS confirmed the gen 6 games were in an alternate timeline from all the previous games and having finished it, I would definitely agree, so what if Pokemon Z was in the timeline of the original games WITHOUT mega evolutions and it it went through a similar story except it is the aftermath of the war WITHOUT mega evolution, and it's essentially the same story just without everything that MEga Evolution and Infinity Energy brought to the world so it would be similar in some areas and quite different in others, and Hoopa actually plays a role in game in which it somehow connects the two timelines and if Xerneas/Yveltal weren't used to power the weapon (because presumably it never existed 3000 years ago) but rather trying to harness the raw power of Zygarde

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I kinda doubt that they'd remove Mega Evolution in the next game. Game Freak's ridin' that train hard.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I kinda doubt that they'd remove Mega Evolution in the next game. Game Freak's ridin' that train hard.

No, no, not REMOVE it, you just go through the game without it and when you get to the point where old timeline merges (or connects) with new timeline, suddenly mega evolution comes into the world it never existed in before. In the grander scheme of things, X, Y, Or/As could have been simply a diversionary dip into another timeline to establish mega evolution and Hoopa was the tool that caused timelines to merge so that the main pokemon timeline is still back as the main timeline but those four games explain where mega evolution came from and why it suddenly exists where it never existed before.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Post-game, there is a Team Flare grunt in Kiloude City. Not everyone in Team Flare died, just the individuals who were in Team Flare's secret base at the time the Ultimate Weapon was activated.

Oh yeah, I think I remember that. Well, I guess a repeat of B2/W2 could happen, with the revival of Flare, but that's a bit boring.

No, no, not REMOVE it, you just go through the game without it and when you get to the point where old timeline merges (or connects) with new timeline, suddenly mega evolution comes into the world it never existed in before. In the grander scheme of things, X, Y, Or/As could have been simply a diversionary dip into another timeline to establish mega evolution and Hoopa was the tool that caused timelines to merge so that the main pokemon timeline is still back as the main timeline but those four games explain where mega evolution came from and why it suddenly exists where it never existed before.

Anyway, the merging of timelines is an interesting idea. But I doubt Game Freak would not create a plot that has at least some mentioning of mega evolution within the main story. It's too big of a thing to just push to the side. I guess they could mention like 'a disturbance in the force' or something crazy like that, and then BANG Mega Evolution.

But it reminds me of a post by Serebii on another forum where he states that he believes that Hoopa won't have anything to do with the next games. Due to the fact that Hoopa's extra forme was found in ORAS's code, it can be seen that it'll be more related to ORAS rather than the next games. Also the next movie is obviously about Hoopa, so the next games/movie would be about Volcanion or Zygarde if it isn't mentioned in this year's movie. However, this can be ignored due to the fact that the Lati megas were in XY's code but didn't actually get officially revealed/released until ORAS, so the same logic could apply to Hoopa's Unbound forme.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years

…or maybe Zinnia comes back to what could be her own, original timeline since it's the one she mentions in OR/AS and brings Mega Evolution over to it from the timeline that has it in the process?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 22, 2016
Just thoughts: Spoiler alert

Spoiler:

Indigo

The Novelist from Panju
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 7, 2019
I can't say for sure, but I'd like a Z. I feel like with one game they could focus on making it more epic. If they make X2 Y2 i'd be okay with that as well because B2W2 were masterpieces!

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I think X and Y have all the right things in it they just need to be revamped. Better story, more challenging, a way better post game. Not that I wouldn't be happy with a sequel, but I just feel like the better route for it is to just come out with Z. I feel like Zygarde being in the shape of the letter and starting with that letter makes it obvious. Especially since Xerneas and Yveltal followed that theme, but you really never know.

At the same time having a few Pokemon from generation I get megas in oras almost makes me think that something Kanto related is coming our way. Is Gamefreak maybe going a totally different way and coming out with a Kanto remake with an alternate timeline that will tie into both Kalos and Hoenn? It's hard to tell right now and that does seem kind of extreme, but who knows!!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
At the same time having a few Pokemon from generation I get megas in oras almost makes me think that something Kanto related is coming our way. Is Gamefreak maybe going a totally different way and coming out with a Kanto remake with an alternate timeline that will tie into both Kalos and Hoenn? It's hard to tell right now and that does seem kind of extreme, but who knows!!
Tbh, I hope that they don't do that. I know that it's been almost 12 years since FireRed and LeafGreen came out, and that the Gen I part of the fanbase is the biggest, but I'd really rather that they focus on Kalos first before doing another set of remakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back