• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions on the 3-D aspects of the game.

2d VS 3D Your Opinion?

• Total voters

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    I always knew that they needed to really improve the graphical powers in Pokemon games, and this game looks absolutely amazing, so far. XD They've really advanced in graphics havent they? :)

And Im also glad they got animated sprites then doing it all in 3D. It'd be another Pokemon XD: Gale Of Darkness. :(

Years
    i say its about tim they did this. in fact i was sort of hoping they did this for HGSS but guess not. but im glad its like this now. its very very awesome :D
    and the new battle scenes are amazing:D

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    Its quite interesting... Its a new step in the right direction for Pokemon ^^
    I just hope the effects aren't too crazy, haha.

The battle game play looks fantastic.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2010
    I don't know about 3d overworlds, I'm old school and I like my adventures flat, and 2d. But the battling is too awesome... They've given every Pokemon idle animations and expanded the battle screen for attack sequences at least 5 inches, giving the battle feel a more exciting outlook. I wonder what else they've got in store for us... :P

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Loving it, my only concern is it looks like a lack of your lead poke following you - it's honestly my favorite thing about HG/SS - maybe they can still work it in, if not, there's always Gray? Give them time to work out the 3D poke following.

VirtualBlock

Youth's LoneWolf
    Years
    Hm... I admit they actually improve it alot. Oh snap!!! Maybe it were the OW Sprites that made me choose "Hate 'em"!!
    Oh.. I guess if they made the sprites more in place it would look pretty good... ><

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Awesome graphics are awesome.

I think that each generation can really be defined by the change in graphics, and B&W is no exception.

humanguy2000

NSMBW hacker
    Years
    When I first saw the Black & White screenshots, I thought it looked really odd.... But yesterday, I looked at the screenies again and they look really good! ...But the overworlds just remove the 3d feeling. It would've been good if they used the 3d view from HG/SS that can be accessed through cheating.

Shorty-

Unique is an Understatement.
    Years
    I think its great that they are moving forward with the graphics and all (improvement is better than nothing at all). I just wish the Sprites were 3d as well. ^^

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    I really don't care..As long as the gameplay stays the same and we get new pokemon, I'm fine.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I think its great that they are moving forward with the graphics and all (improvement is better than nothing at all). I just wish the Sprites were 3d as well. ^^

This is my view on the subject. Like I said in the OW thread, I am a huge fan of the 3d look. My gripe is that the OW characters just look a bit too out of place being 2d.

Lexxy

sup brah?
    Years
    I love how there is a city aspect to the game now, like New York or Chicago.

Hopefully all the cities are like this and you start out in a big city and now some small town.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    At first I didn't like the look of it, but now, I'm very amazed, and will definitely make the game different from others! I like the camera angles now, that was the part I didn't like about it. I'm sure it will be something worth waiting for.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I like the graphics and like the fact that they are pushing a old handheld's potential more rather than make a new one and not push the new one's capacity plus it means we get to save money due to us not having to buy a new handheld!.

Ayselipera

For me it will just take some getting used to. After years of having a semi aerial view of everything it will be a little weird looking at the game from a new perspective. I'm not saying that's bad though I just need to start looking at it more and more until it looks natural. Overall my hopes are more on the Pokemon then the graphics.

.ιиsσмиιαc.

how do i pokemon?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2011
    I hate them. They could have done a much better job with it, or maybe everything is still a BETA.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'm a bit mixed. While I'm excited about the games, and the 3D is absolutely beautiful, I feel that the complete 3D might be going a little too far away from the old style of games that I grew up on. At least we keep the movement grid...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I liked the 3D in DPPt. It was tasteful--you might not even notice it if you didn't look closely and that's what I liked about it. It gave depth to the game but wasn't distracting.

I don't... like what I've seen of the 3D in BW though. D: It's all you notice in every screen and I hate the warped sprites and the camera angle and ick. ;_; I'm hoping it'll look better as you actually play but I thought that initial video that came out showing the protag walking in a circle around the buildings was ugly. :/ I guess we'll see but I'm very wary of the 3D. It won't affect my purchase decision but I hope it won't end up affecting my final opinion of the game.

Back