• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions on the 3-D aspects of the game.

2d VS 3D Your Opinion?

• Total voters

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I don't know, Pokemon is meant to be a 2D game. Let's look at Sonic: the 2D games were great, but the 3D games... well, weren't (this isn't nostalgia factor: go check various reviews if you doubt me). While I'm open to the idea of 3D games, I'm just afraid that Pokemon will lose it's feel as a good-ol' 2D RPG. Well, the battle system is relatively 2D, so we've still got that.
    Pokemon games aren't meant to have a certain display of graphics. The graphics improve along with the systems. The games could still be great in 3D, possibly even better, and yeah I agree w/ that other user you can't really compare Sonic to pokemon. Game Freak would never do anything to destroy the pokemon name.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    It is supposedly the last Pokemon game, so I'm almost positive that it will be on the 3DS.

Was this announced somewhere? That it's supposedly the last Pokemon game, I mean, or is this your thought?

Also, It's already known that it wont be released just for the 3DS, seeing as how Japan will get it before the 3DS will be released.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    First of all, BW has been confirmed for DS. Second, you do realize that the whole "last generation" rumor circulates every generation, right?

This is very true. Slashedsickness, did you know Game Freak was going to stop at G/S/C, but because It sold so much, they had to make another game.
    So then people heard this and thought that Hoenn would be the official last, but it sold good too, so they continued this up until this point.

Trust me, don't believe It until Game Freak says so publicly ... which wont be for awhile.

Years
    I can't remember who it was on here that said it, but it was basically along the lines of wanting the cities in-game to have the same feeling of grandeur and majesty as in the anime. I completely agree with this; though some of the 3D battle sprites in the preview pics looked a bit odd, the pictures of the main city looked beautiful. I can't wait!

miley810

Assassin
    Years
    I love both ways I will probley miss the old way but the new way seems great too.I realy like that there starting to give us good grafics and not grafics that looks like it is drawn on paper by a kid who doesn't know how to make his drawing look 3D yet.

Pokemafia

Pokemon was a 2d game in the beginning, and it shall ALWAYS remain a 2d game in the end, 2.5d is ok, I hate that the signature of pokemon games is gone and we have this 3d rubbish. I will only buy Black or White solely to compete in the 2011 VGC, otherwise I hate it.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Pokemon was a 2d game in the beginning, and it shall ALWAYS remain a 2d game in the end, 2.5d is ok, I hate that the signature of pokemon games is gone and we have this 3d rubbish. I will only buy Black or White solely to compete in the 2011 VGC, otherwise I hate it.

this sounds stupid. its not like they had a choice to make it 3D back then, it was all available. i'm pretty sure "pokemon is going to be 2d and always will be" was going on in their heads while making r/b/y. like the mario games, super mario 64 was excellent. and dont get me started on GTA. this game has both angles.

It is supposedly the last Pokemon game, so I'm almost positive that it will be on the 3DS.

black and white ARE for DS, and i'm guessing chrome/grey/prism or whatever will be on 3DS

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I'm not even sure if it's 3D since you still only move left, right, up, and down. It seems a lot more like 2.5D to me. Either way, the 3rd dimension sucks, but I don't really care as it doesn't have an effect on gameplay.

Last edited:

Thunderhead

Ride the Lightning
    Years
    I want to see them do a 3D game on the wii. It would be good 3D, and not the kind you would see on a N64.....

That, and graphics never bothered to be in my vision, so I have no intrest in 3D/2D/1D/8D/ whatever D

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
    I mean I like the 3D aspects and all, and they were pretty neat. The only problem I have with them is that they make a rather stark contrast between the sprites of the overworld items and 3D backgrounds. And those 3D additions took away the old ability to save in less than 10 seconds that we used to see in games like leafgreen. I don't know about all of you, but sometimes I just want to hurry up and finish what I'm doing in the game and not have to spend a minute and a half waiting for my game to save because I moved 2 pokemon in my box. It's ridiculous.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    Hmmhp...

So some new pictures were placed on serebii.net and it looks kinda out of the ordinary to me. It shows trainers roaming in 3-d plains. I'm not really liking the look of the city. It's just, kinda far from the old pokemon games. I'm not ranting or anything because I'm still going to buy Black or White (undecided.) I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the new look of the pokemon world that is being created by the developers. (Lets cross our fingers and hope for the best!)

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    I like the advanced, technological feel of the city so far. (: It really feels modern. The world is changing like this, so why not the games too?

As for the 3-D...it depends on how it'll play and how the camera angles will move (like for the circular town). At first I thought it was heavy 3-D, like being on top of the lighthouse in Olivine, but I'll just have to see first hand how it feels playing.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    Likewise, the thought that the camera may be placed weirdly while in town or whatever just gives me bad feelings about the game. Sometimes the view of the game is EVERYTHING. Your not going to want to play a game where you can't see because some careless creator placed some bland house in view of where you are walking. (Not saying Gamefreak is careless.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2014
    Look, Nintendo. If you're going to make Pokemon 3D, at least make the whole thing 3D instead of 3D with 2D sprites. I have never seen an instance where 2D sprites on a 3D playing field looked good.

Also, the back-sprites of Red/Blue/Yellow are back... *facepalm*

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2010
    Im not certain yet. From videos it looks like in some places the 3d is exxagerated and causes a degree of parralax error when navigating.

But still 3d looks cool and we'll probly get used to it. There is a cheat for HG/SS which makes it 3d like this too, honestly look it up. I have it ands its quite good

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Look, Nintendo. If you're going to make Pokemon 3D, at least make the whole thing 3D instead of 3D with 2D sprites. I have never seen an instance where 2D sprites on a 3D playing field looked good.

Also, the back-sprites of Red/Blue/Yellow are back... *facepalm*

I don't have a problem with that, and I think the sprites will be in 3D. We just can't tell from the sort battles we've seen so far. Though a total 3D game may just depend on which system you get. Black and white will be enhanced for the DSi, and since the games will also be playable on the 3DS I imagine that would mean 3D sprites, 3D everything! For the ones w/ just a DS Lite/DS..well..oh well guess they would be stuck w/ the 2D sprites.

Back