• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Your Pokémon Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowedness

Pokemon/RockMan Fanatic
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jan 4, 2008
    Actually Ruby and Sapphire do have a National Dex that is obtainable legitimately. What you do is trade any Kanto/Johto Pokemon not on the Hoenn Dex to Ruby/Sapphire after obtaining the two jewels in FRLG, and this will cause your Pokedex to auto upgrade to National Mode but you can still switch between the two at any time. This is not a rumour either, it works and I have done it myself. you cna also find this information on sites such as GameFAQS.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I was referring to the limitation that FRLG and Emerald have. RS does not have that. You can trade non-Hoenn Pokes to RS as soon as you get the Pokedex from Prof. Birch.

shadowedness

Pokemon/RockMan Fanatic
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jan 4, 2008
    Oh right, sorry then I misunderstood that. Anyway, would someone mind telling me what "hax" means because I read the following definition but still don;t understand its meaning:
    hax - "hacking", or more specifically any time when one gets exceptionally
    lucky and gets a CH/freeze/0%/miss/etc at a critical moment. If you have no
    honor, blame it on hax.
    I don't get the part about no honour., Also, this was taken from the move-set guide on GameFAQS.

WaveBurst

Its Our Velocity
    Years
    My Team: (Ruby)

Blaziken Lv 100

Overheat
    Sky Uppercut
    Blaze Kick
    Mirror Move

Meganium Lv 100

Flash
    Razor Leaf
    Cut
    Solarbeam

Manectric Lv 100

Strength
    Thunder
    Thunder Wave
    Spark

Blastoise Lv 100

Hydro Pump
    Waterfall
    Dive
    Surf

Swellow Lv 100

Aerial Ace
    Fly
    Wing Attack
    Steel Wing

Girafarig Lv 100

Psybeam
    Confusion
    Stomp
    Earthquake

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Oh right, sorry then I misunderstood that. Anyway, would someone mind telling me what "hax" means because I read the following definition but still don;t understand its meaning:

I don't get the part about no honour., Also, this was taken from the move-set guide on GameFAQS.
    The definition was pretty spot on. Here is an example for you:

Player A has a Raichu while Player B has Gyarados. Even with its great base Atk, Gyarados won't be able to attack first, since Raichu is faster and Gyarados is 4x weak to Electric. So Player B, being the smart trainer they are, switches out Gyarados for a Choice Band Tyranitar packing Earthquake. Player A, also a smart trainer, anticipated this and used Thunder Wave, paralyzing Tyranitar as it was switched in. The next turn Player A uses Substitute while Player B uses Earthquake. Since Raichu is faster, it makes a Substitute, only to have it destroyed by a SE boosted Earthquake from Tyranitar. At 75% HP, Player A again chooses Substitute while Player B is forced again to use Earthquake. Same result. At 50% HP, Player A tries Substitute a third time and Player B gives Earthquake another shot. This is where the term "hax" comes to play. Raichu's Sub goes up, but this time Tyranitar is fully paralyzed and cannot attack, allowing the Sub to stick. The next turn Player A selects Focus Punch while Player B is again forced to use a SE boosted Earthquake. Since Focus Punch ALWAYS goes last, the Earthquake goes first. Unfortunately, due to the parahax of last turn, all Earthquake does is destroy the Sub, allowing Raichu's SE Focus Punch to OHKO Tyranitar.

That is one of MANY different scenarios where "hax" comes into play. It also occurs when a lower accuracy move misses at a crucial time, An attack is a Critical Hit at just the right time, or when Ice Beam or Thunderbolt freezes or paralyzes at the worst (or best) time possible. That is called "hax".

The statement about honor really just means that if you lose by hax, accept it and move on. Don't whine that someone only won because of the hax or crap like that. Take the loss with honor and dignity.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2008
    You can flog your bro easy because you have two cheap ubers and he doesn't have any.

Before I rate your team, there are a few tips I want to cover that you, as well as others who have posted their teams here lately, should follow to not only make your team better in-game, but you can also do well when you battle competitively.

- NEVER give the same Poke more than one move of the same type. For example, your Blastoise has both Hydro Pump and Surf. This is totally redundant and limits the effectiveness of your Poke.

- NEVER use any HM moves not called Surf. They are completely useless. There is no situation where Waterfall or Dive will ever be better than Surf. There will never be a situation where Strength is better than Body Slam or even Return.

- NEVER use crappy two-turn moves like Hyper Beam, Fly, Dig, or Solarbeam. For example, you can do more damage attacking twice in two turns with Aerial Ace than you can attacking only once in two turns with Fly. Not to mention the fact that AA will ALWAYS hit while you have 90% accuracy with Fly, and you have TWO chances to miss with it. Horrible. Same thing with Hyper Beam. Attacking twice with Return in two turns (TWO 102 AP move) will do more damage than attacking once with Hyper Beam in two turns (ONE 150 AP move).

- NEVER have too many shared weaknesses on your team. While having Salamence, Dragonite, and Flygon all on the same team is pretty cool, that 4x weakness to Ice they all share is definitely not. A good Poke with Ice Beam will tear right through all of them. Balance your team as best as you can, making sure that for each weakness one Poke on your team has, you have a counter for it.

Lastly, understand that the programmers made the in-game AI weak on purpose. They did it not only so six-year olds could beat the game, but also so ANY Poke in the game can be successful. What really happens is the subpar AI teaches too many trainers horrible strategy. With the WiFi feature of the DS and DP, too many novice trainers are in for a horrible beating if they agree to battle someone else through the WiFi feature and think that their opponent is going to behave the same way. A real opponent isn't going to leave their Poke in play if you put it to sleep. A real opponent is going to switch their Poke out if you have a Poke in that it is weak to. A real opponent isn't go to use mathematical calculations to determine it strategy, resulting in the occasional random non-attacking move. A real opponent isn't going to have horrible movesets on their Pokes (i.e. Double Team on Blissey????). The sooner you learn and adapt to the correct way of battling, the more fun you are going to have, mainly because you won't have your butt handed to you every single time. LOL

At any rate (pun intended), fixes and suggestions (both wanted and unwanted) in bold:

Personally, I wouldn't use any of those Pokes. Your team, along with my suggestions, will make a pretty solid team that will not only be effective in-game, but will be able to handle battling against others much better too.

ok, when you said do NOT use surf, any HM other than surf, surf is the strongest one. the strongest moves in the game without sacrificing anything at all, and with good ACC is:

psycic
    ice beam
    surf
    flamethrower
    thunderbolt
    eruption
    waterspout

and a combination of:

groudon using solarbeam/sunny day then solarbeam
    yawn/hypnosis etc. then dream eater

and, with pokemon with the same move bit, you're wrong. in a way you're correct, but, what about types of pokemon and their moves?
    let's just say my mewtwo for example. it knows shadow ball. i need that move for ghost-type pokemon E.G. gengar. pshycic wont affect shost, when gengar might have shadow ball. my mewtwo is history.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2008

Blaziken Lv 100

Overheat
    Sky Uppercut
    Blaze Kick
    Mirror Move

yes, quite a good moveset, but mirror move could be replaced by eruption in scolding (teaching through breeding) and i would have to say prob a super-decent pokemon t verse the champo, just sayin

Meganium Lv 100

Flash
    Razor Leaf
    Cut
    Solarbeam

a good choice. however you got it, it prob has almost the best move-set, but i would replace flash with dragon claw or something.

Manectric Lv 100

Strength
    Thunder
    Thunder Wave
    Spark

i wouldn't exactly use this pokemon. try a magneton or or a maybe minun and plusle etc. but not manectric. not a good move-set either. replace spark with thunderbolt, strength with sap cannon or wateva. this is only my apinion.

Blastoise Lv 100

Hydro Pump
    Waterfall
    Dive
    Surf

a very good pokemon indeed. i would replace for tyranitar lol. but instead of dive, you should teach it skull bash/hydro cannon.
    Dragnite is the pokedude for the HMs. you should swap that with dragonite/salamence.

Swellow Lv 100

Aerial Ace
    Fly
    Wing Attack
    Steel Wing

good choice. arial ace should be in the move-set category though. you should already know this. i would replace with a pidgeot/xatu. only my opinion lol.

Girafarig Lv 100

Psybeam
    Confusion
    Stomp
    Earthquake

good pokemon. i wont say anything for this, you're spot-on, well, i'll say a recommended pokemon for this. mightyena. mightyena learns phsycic. if you can argue with that, mine did at lvl 62. so ha.

as a result, that pokemon team is super-useful. good on ya'.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Still Training Them Up in levels...

Blaziken:

Sky Uppercut
    Fire Blast
    Blaze Kick
    Slash

Glalie:

Shadow Ball
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam
    Crunch

Milotic:

Mirror Coat
    Recover
    Ice Beam
    Surf

Grumpig:

Psychic
    Magic Coat (So helpful in battle frontier =P)
    Bounce
    Iron Tail

Shiny Azumarill:

Brick Break
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Iron Tail

Raichu:

Thunder
    Thunderwave
    Thunderbolt
    Volt Tackle

I got 6 frontier symbols with Milotic, Grumpig, Glalie, and Raichu (Switching around =p) Other symbol is rented pokemon XD

Last edited:

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014

Blaziken @ ???
    Nature: ???
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: ???
    - Overheat/Fire Blast
    - Sky Uppercut
    - Blaze Kick /Swords Dance (If you want it to be a physical sweeper)
    - Mirror Move Replace this immediately with Rock Slide, as Blazey is way to fast for Mirror move and it is a crap move

Your Blaziken is pretty good, but as I said earlier don't put mirror move on it as it is a crap move, Swords Dance to get it's attack boost, and Rock slide kills its Flying weakness, You could go even further and trade him to emerald and teach him Electric punch so he has protection against water. Go with Fire Blast, as it's just as powerful (I think) but doesn't reduce Sp. Atk which is kinda lame.

Meganium @ ???
    Trait: (Forgot)
    Flash Get rid of it
    Razor Leaf
    Cut Get rid of it
    Solarbeam Could get a better move, but what would I know (Seriously lol I have no idea about grass pokes)

No idea about him, BUT definitely get rid of CUT and Flash, they are both horrible moves to put on a poke, Also, advice from shanecdavis, get rid of Solarbeam as he always says you can attack with twice with a better move thats more powerful. Anyway someone else can help you replace the moves :P

Manectric @ ???
    Trait: ???
    - Strength REMOVE!
    - Thunder Replace with Thunderbolt, Has more accuracy but still gets STAB so is powerful.
    - Thunder Wave Keep
    - Spark Replace with something else

You have 2 offensive Electric moves, neither of which are the best to put on an electric poke, Thunderbolt is the best, as it has great accuracy and power, plus it gets STAB. REMOVE that god awful HM move (Strength)

Blastoise Lv 100

Hydro Pump
    Waterfall
    Dive
    Surf

This is a REALLY awful moveset

It's bad because you have 4, yes FOUR water moves, which means this poke is only truly effective against Rock, Fire and Ground replace the moves so that it can cover its weaknesses.

Change it to this:

Blastoise @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 Defense / 252 Sp. Defense / 6 HP
    - Rest/Counter
    - Surf
    - Toxic
    - Ice Beam

Swellow @ Choice Band
    Trait: Guts
    - Aerial Ace
    - Fly Once again REMOVE this awful attack, as aerial ace does more damage in 2 turns and CANNOT MISS!
    - Facade
    - Steel Wing

I dont know too much about Swellow but what I do know is its trait Guts gives it awesomeness in a battle if it has been inflicted with a status problem so you'll get 50% attack increase + Choice band power increase, which is a pretty powerful hit.

Also, this poke is so much better than Pidgeot, DO NOT SWAP, lol

Girafarig Lv 100

Psybeam
    Confusion
    Stomp
    Earthquake

Don't know about this pokemon

So yeah, Help in BOLD! You can either choose to regard it or disregard it, OR better yet wait for Shanecdavis to rate, as he gives out alot of help to poke players.

Also, If i were you disregard the help from ltr_17, as he really has no idea, I mean Dragonite with HM moves, WTF!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    A few comments, both wanted and unwanted, in bold:
    ok, when you said do NOT use surf, any HM other than surf, surf is the strongest one. the strongest moves in the game without sacrificing anything at all, and with good ACC is:

psycic
    ice beam
    surf
    flamethrower
    thunderbolt
    eruption
    waterspout

I was with you until the last two options here. These are not good moves. The strongest moves are not always the best. Those two are prime examples. Having to depend on HP as the source of a power's move is risky. It is always better to have a consistent attack, albeit a little lower on the power side, that won't fail you at an important juncture. As for the list, I would have included Dragon Claw, Return, Earthquake, Shadow Ball, Drill Peck, among others, but I assume it was only an example.

and a combination of:

groudon using solarbeam/sunny day then solarbeam
    yawn/hypnosis etc. then dream eater

Actually, Groudon with Solarbeam is bad strategy that is typically used by novice trainers that see a Grass move that doesn't need to recharge and assume it is awesome. In actuality, a STAB Earthquake (without a +Atk nature or Atk EVs) that runs off of Groudon's much higher base Atk (150, compared to 90 base SAtk) does max damage of 58% to Kyogre, compared to 45% max damage from a Solarbeam that is Super Effective. The most important thing here is that Earthquake would be a 2HKO while Solarbeam would be at least 3. Now, throw in the fact that the best Groudon set includes a +Atk nature and max Atk EVs, and the max damage is boosted to 76%. Then there is the choice of having it hold a Choice Band or the preferred move Swords Dance, ensuring that Earthquake is a OHKO, while Solarbeam is still a 3HKO. Plus, this allows you to add another physical move (i.e. Rock Slide) instead of a wasted move like Solarbeam.

Yawn/Hypnosis/(enter sleep move here) and then Dream Eater is another flawed strategy. It might work against the brainless AI, but it will fail miserably when you play competitively, as a normal person wouldn't leave a sleeping Poke on the field. So, with WiFi coming up with DS/DP, it is better to remove the bad strategy that one gets from only battling the pathetic AI, in order not to get routinely destroyed against another person.

and, with pokemon with the same move bit, you're wrong. in a way you're correct, but, what about types of pokemon and their moves?
    let's just say my mewtwo for example. it knows shadow ball. i need that move for ghost-type pokemon E.G. gengar. pshycic wont affect shost, when gengar might have shadow ball. my mewtwo is history.
    Like before, you are concentrating too much on the type of a move and the need for it to be "Super Effective". Your Gengar example is flawed because Gengar is also Poison-type, meaning a Psychic is going to OHKO Gengar in a very bad way, while Shadow Ball is still a 2HKO. So, for your argument's sake, let's use Dusclops instead, which is only Ghost. A STAB Psychic (unboosted with no +SAtk nature or SAtk EVs) does max damage of 61% to Dusclops, while a "Super Effective" Shadow Ball only does max damage of 54%. Once again, this is due to the fact that Mewtwo has an ungodly base SAtk of 154 while only an excellent base Atk of 110. Add a +SAtk nature and max SAtk EVs and that max damage jumps to 78%. Throw in a Calm Mind and it is a OHKO, using a Psychic attack against a Ghost-type.

Last edited:

elric331

Kurosaki Ichigo
    Years
    right now:

lv89 blaze (blaziken)
    lv94 rayquaza
    lv73 flygon
    lv64 salamence
    lv 50 latios
    lv 49 metagross
    *had to make up for blaziken to lv 75+ for e4 since i missed catching Groudon on my first ever GBA game and was such an idiot that i fled from it...*

Bow down before the mightiness of dragon type pokemon!!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    So yeah, Help in BOLD! You can either choose to regard it or disregard it, OR better yet wait for Shanecdavis to rate, as he gives out alot of help to poke players.

Also, If i were you disregard the help from ltr_17, as he really has no idea, I mean Dragonite with HM moves, WTF!
    I only will offer suggestions on teams here when a person asks for them. Mainly people just like to post their team because they think it is good and don't want anyone telling them otherwise. LOL It is painful to see sometimes (i.e. the most recent post that has a team full of Pokes that are OHKO'd by Swampert), but it is their game and their team. If they wanted help they would have asked for it.

[email protected]

Moderate Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2007
    Mine is:

Charizard Lv. 37
    Flamethrower
    Mega Kick
    Mega Punch
    Wing Attack

Pidgeot Lv. 36
    Wing Attack
    Fly
    Quick Attack
    Aerial Ace

Snorlax Lv. 32
    Rest
    Yawn
    Snore
    Strength

Vaporeon Lv. 31
    Surf
    Bite
    Water Pulse
    Quick Attack

Electrode Lv. 33
    Sonicboom
    Spark
    Thunderbolt
    Selfdestruct

Parasect Lv. 33
    Spore
    Giga Drain
    Bullet Seed
    Toxic

I'm in Silph Co. in Saffron City. Post any suggestions you have!

Jackie

Pokemon Ranger
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2007
    Charizard
    Lapras
    Pidgeot
    Jolteon
    Tyranitar
    Bellossom

Simple as that.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Since you are still progressing through the game, your movesets are going to suck rocks. I will offer what your movesets should end up with. Fixes and suggestions in bold:
    Mine is:

Charizard Lv. 37
    - Flamethrower
    - Swords Dance
    - Rock Slide / Earthquake

- Wing Attack

Avoid using Normal attacks on non-Normal Pokes. Not only can different type moves be just as powerful, but they can also give you an added power boost if the opposing Poke is weak to that move. Swords Dance increases its Atk by two stages and Rock Slide or Earthquake damages a lot of different types. Personally, Fire-types in general are over-rated and not very effective. I would replace this with Alazakam.

Alakazam @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind / Ice Punch
    - Fire Punch
    - Psychic
    - Thunderpunch

Extremely versatile and strong special attacker. Covers a ton of types, but won't last too long with its subpar defenses/HP.

Pidgeot Lv. 36
    Wing Attack
    Fly
    Quick Attack
    Aerial Ace

You have THREE moves of the same type. That is counter productive as it prevents your Pidgeot from being able to deal damage to types other than those weak to Flying attacks. Actually, I would dump Pidgeot and add Dodrio instead. Not only is it stronger and faster, but it learns the stronger Drill Peck instead of Wing Attack.

Dodrio @ Choice Band
    Trait: Early Bird
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Drill Peck
    - Quick Attack
    - Return
    - Steel Wing

If you insist on using the lesser Pidgeot, just use the above moveset with the weaker Wing Attack instead of Drill Peck.

Snorlax Lv. 32
    - Rest
    - Body Slam / Return
    - Shadow Ball / Earthquake
    - Sleep Talk

Instead of the weak Yawn/Snore combo, use the MUCH better Rest/Sleep Talk combo. Body Slam is much better than the crappy HM Strength. Higher power and then can cause paralysis. Having a Snorlax attack first is a scary thought. Shadow Ball or Earthquake is preference. Earthquake does more damage, but Shadow Ball hits things with wings or things that levitate. One of the best Pokes in the game.

Vaporeon Lv. 31
    Surf
    Bite
    Water Pulse
    Quick Attack

Not much I can do about your Vaporeon since its best moveset requires breeding, which occurs way later in the game. This is the moveset I would use though:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 222 HP / 176 Def / 16 SAtk / 96 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Baton Pass
    - Surf
    - Substitute / Ice Beam
    - Wish

Vaporeon makes VERY strong Subs that it can then Baton Pass to teammates. Not only that, but it can heal them with Wish without having to waste a move to do so. Vaporeon is always an excellent choice.

Electrode Lv. 33
    - Explosion
    - Thunder Wave
    - Electrode's moveset is too limited for a good suggestion

- Thunderbolt

Meh. Unless you are emotionally attached this thing I would highly suggest dropping it for something much more effective. Magneton, Raichu, or especially Electabuzz are much better options. For FRLG, Electabuzz is my favorite:

Electabuzz @ Leftovers
    Trait: Static
    EVs: 152 Atk / 216 Spd / 140 SAtk
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Cross Chop
    - Fire Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Thunderbolt

Under-rated and very versatile. Allows you to get rid of Charizard and add a more effective Poke.

Parasect Lv. 33
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Toxic / Stun Spore

Another meh. If this is in-game, I would suggest that you go with Butterfree. Easy to raise and it Compoundeyes Trait rules against the brainless AI. Its trait makes Sleep Powder almost 100% accurate. Use it as your lead, put the opponent to sleep and then switch to an appropriate counter. Just don't use it competitively though, as it will get the crap beat out of it.

Butterfree @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Compoundeyes
    EVs: 128 HP / 252 Spd / 128 SDef
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Sleep Powder
    - Stun Spore
    - Toxic / Whirlwind

I'm in Silph Co. in Saffron City. Post any suggestions you have!
    Sorry about changing your team a bit, but it really gives you a much better balance. Switching either Pidgeot/Dodrio or Parasect/Butterfree for a more physical type (i.e. Tyranitar, Rhydon, Nidoking, Steelix, or even Aerodactyl) would even be more effective for you. Good luck.

Mquaza

Master of Pokemon
    Years
    On my Ruby game I didn't know how do you get to E4, so my Blaziken was at LV76 when I came to E4. :p

shadowedness

Pokemon/RockMan Fanatic
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jan 4, 2008
    On my Ruby game I didn't know how do you get to E4, so my Blaziken was at LV76 when I came to E4. :p
    Yeah I know what you mean, when I first played Ruby it took me ages to get through Victory Road and to find the water entrance to Ever Grande City. For some reason I kept on ending up in that Shoal Cave place.

Oh well, all I need is for someone to rate this team, and an EV set for Snorlax seeing as I can't think of a decent one for him at all. BTW this is Pokemon Ruby, and I still have to trade in most of these Pokemon. You can also replace the Zapdos if you think there is a better choice for a sixth Pokemon.

ZAPDOS @ Leftovers
    Pressure
    - Thunderbolt
    - HP Ice/Grass
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    EVs:
    Modest (+SA -Att) 252 HP/60 Def/20 Spd/60 SA/116 SD

DRAGONITE @ Leftovers
    Inner Focus
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt