• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your thoughts on Shinies?

Do You Like Shinies??

• LOVE THEM

Votes: 57 65.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I dont care for them.

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
    Years
    Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like shinies? i think the whole sparkle thing is annoying. I think they should make the sparkle animation simultaneous to the pokemon's animation (kinda like D/P/Pts Ball seals). And have you ever found a shiny in your whole gaming life?

For me, my first ever shiny was a Shiny Sentret on the original Silver, then a Phanphy and Bellsprout on Diamond X) and I think there was also a Swablu in Emerald. Oh, and once, I was trying out my friends SoulSilver and I found a shiny kakuna O.O and I didn't even have pokeballs yet *facepalm*

So basically :
    1. Do you like shinies?
    -what do you like/dislike about them?
    2. Have you ever found a shiny?
    3. If so, what pokemon was it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I've found:

- Machoke (no pokeballs)
    - Kricketot (caught, traded pretty fast)
    - Grimer (caught, only separated with for 3 pokes, I loved it so much).

I do like shines...but some of them I dislike, for example, Dratini and it's evolutions, particularly Dragonite's shiny form, which is hideous

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    In general yes I do like the Idea of shiny Pokemon, they are quite rare and come off as being a novelty.

there's no ultra advantage to them, other then just having an alternate color, but for collection purposes I think they are cool.... some people just get too obsessed with having Shiny Pokemon and that's where I think the dislike for them comes because people without them get annoyed/jealous.

basically for me it's if you got one cool, awesome... if not it's not a big deal I've gone through almost 100 hours in HG and have yet to see a shiny pokemon other than Rage Lake Gyarados and I'm not shedding any tears.

Years
    It's not that I like the look of them all, but some of them look really good and I love the feeling of finding them.

I have had 3 shinies altogether:
    Cascoon for Pokemon Emerald (Didn't use)
    Poochyena for Pokemon Ruby (Now level 84 Mightyena on Platinum)
    Marill for Pokemon SoulSilver (Now level 100 Azumarill on SS called Goldie)

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    I love them! And that's why I am trading in the trade corner. I dnt have a dislike and no ive never found one sadly. :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    In all my games, I have found over 10 shinys XD
    But, after trading for a month I have over 300 now.

Yoak

Pokemon Battler In-Training
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2012
    Shinnies are a great Idea. Because it's so rare, it makes it a great feeling to find one. It's good that it doesn't have any advantage, or else it would make it kinda unfair and not as fun, and is a great bragging right. It's not fun when people just cheat to get them, or dedicate their life to finding them. I have only found one shiny in my entire gaming career (Like, 5 years of pokemon) And that is my shiny Ho-Oh. My sister found a shiny zubat though, but we didn't know about shinies, and were confused. But we caught it

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I like Shinies,I wouldn't say I love them.
    I've never found a shiny in my life,but I have caught one which was Gyarados at The Lake of Rage.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
    Years
    i found a gyarados (not lake of rage),a onix and a Arceus(i got the azure flute from a cheat, but i didnt have the shiny code on) Im trying to find a smeargle on diamond but i cant chain for the life of me

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I'm going to move this over to General Pokémon Gaming since this thread isn't only specific to HG/SS alone.

As for myself, I do generally like Shinies. I don't like all of them, as well, some are just ugly in an alternate color. However, if I were to find one I would be catching it. I've caught quite a few shinies overtime, I believe my very first shiny was an Absol in Pokémon Ruby. I never even realized it was a Shiny at that time since I was so young, I just figured it was different from the rest.

Ev Trainer X

Your average insane gamer
    Years
    Yeah, I like shinies. I've found two in my entire gaming career. The first was a shiny Magikarp I found in Pearl (ironically, I found it while I was EV training), in the lake at Pastoria. The second was a Dratini I found in Platinum, which had a perfect nature for a Mixnite. He's my favorite pokemon, now. Forgive me, Lucario! XD

Edit:I didn't catch my shiny Dratini, I hatched it. My memory sucks.

Last edited:

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
    Shinies are cool, they give you some reason to not use that repel.
    I've never caught/hatched a Shiny at random, and I've only seen one with just plain luck. (A Rhydon. Figure out the rest >_<)
    I have 20-25 of them, but all are caught while chaining.

Years
    In my gaming history I have caught 3 Shinys.
    -Primeape - Victory Road, Kanto, Leaf Green
    -Hariyama - Victory Road, Hoenn, Emerald
    -Floatzel - Route 218, Sinnoh, Platinum

I don't care for them, some of them look more beautiful, some of them - worse.
    I'm playing on emulators, so trading with anothers is impossible. It doesn't make sense to seek them for me.

Lieutenant Unstable

Camelot Castaway
    Years
    I think they're really cool, and usually pretty as long as they're not some awful colour that looks like puke or something, xD. I haven't caught any myself yet, but have had a few given to me as gifts. I like the idea of them, they're rare and collectable and kind of gives you something to do when you feel like you've done everything else in-game, lol.

Rapidash

Firefly Class.
    Years
    I do think that they're cool, but I've never had one. Other than the red Gyardos, obviously.....

I'd love a shiny Umbreon. They look so cool. Also a shiny Ponyta

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    I think shinies are fun to have. They are a good collector's item and they give your team a unique look. That said, I don't go out chain because I must have shinies. I've tried chaining but always break the chain at like 10 and I've tried breeding but I'm too impatient for that.

I've gotten 2 shinies legally:

Lake of Rage Gyarados: I didn't know what a shiny was when I captured it in the original Gold. I also got one in SS, obviously.

Pearl: My very first, non-scripted, legal shiny was a Shiny Pinsir. I was walking through the area towards the Fight Area and one attacked me.

miley810

Assassin
    Years
    I like shinys,but theres nothing like the origanal.My brother traded me a shiny mew.Theres nothing I dislike about them,that I can think off

Back