• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

yuuichi's pixel art

Years
    • Seen today
    again i try
    yuuichi's pixel art

i havent thought of a name for the other on nor this one yet

Well this is sure an improvement, though you hate me, this is actually better than your old ones, but remember that you should use some more colors instead of just 5 or 6, also have black outlines in the under part. (legs, belly)

Years
    again i try
    yuuichi's pixel art

i havent thought of a name for the other on nor this one yet

This needs a lot of work. Frankly, the palette choice is awful. A slightly desaturated light magenta, with no other colors. There is almost no shading in the outline, and the shading overall makes little sense. The anatomy is confusing, I honestly don't know what it is I'm looking at here, everything seems to run together with the pink lines. I don't know what that thing running off the head up the back is. An ear? It doesn't capture the pokemon style very well at all; the pose is facing too far sideways. I would recommend working on the anatomy and linework first.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
    No offense, but I don't think you're inclined to help because the fact is, you're not that good either. Don't take it the wrong way, just sayin.
    yes his is
    also
    yuuichi's pixel art

all you did is press Ctrl+I so all shading is reversed :/
    try to use 2 different colors on other sprites

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
    yes his is
    also
    yuuichi's pixel art

all you did is press Ctrl+I so all shading is reversed :/
    try to use 2 different colors on other sprites
    1.no he isnt
    2.old sprite

yuuichi's pixel art

my scond trie at a snake
    the pink thing is his tongue the red are spots
    yuuichi's pixel art

ombrenus
    forget about that ombrenus i recolored
    yuuichi's pixel art

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    The snake is an improvement, just make it more smooth.

Ombrenus, or whatever has, yet again, a bad pallete, try using multiple colours.
    Ombrenus also has the light coming from the left, not top-left.

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
    The snake is an improvement, just make it more smooth.

Ombrenus, or whatever has, yet again, a bad pallete, try using multiple colours.
    Ombrenus also has the light coming from the left, not top-left.
    i recolored ombrenus but it is still only one color

Years
    • Seen today
    What I mean for Ombrenus is that you can have blue/pink or whatever color you're using, but you should make the wings a different color from the body, to make it look not plain. Your pokemon only have like 6 or 7 colors, instead, you could have 16. Compare yours with Nintendo's, and think about it.

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
    What I mean for Ombrenus is that you can have blue/pink or whatever color you're using, but you should make the wings a different color from the body, to make it look not plain. Your pokemon only have like 6 or 7 colors, instead, you could have 16. Compare yours with Nintendo's, and think about it.
    yuuichi's pixel art

ok i made em red

Years

1.no he isnt
    2.old sprite

yuuichi's pixel art

my scond trie at a snake
    the pink thing is his tongue the red are spots
    yuuichi's pixel art

ombrenus
    forget about that ombrenus i recolored
    yuuichi's pixel art

Pokemon style sprites do not face forward, nor do they face the side. The snake's linework is jagged and lumpy, the shading needs a lot of work, and the spots are distracting and add nothing of interest to the sprite -- I would suggest losing them. The tongue is poorly shaped and uses a bad palette. It's much too bright.

As 5qwerty said about the second sprite, the shading is coming from the wrong direction for pokemon-styled sprites, the palette needs help, and also, the shading is flat. That recolor's palette is atrocious, by the way. Not nearly enough contrast in the highlights and shadows, and it's too dark overall, hiding the details of the sprite.

Seriously, you should try to get palettes from existing sprites, and try to learn the style better before attempting to create your own palette.

[Edit]

yuuichi's pixel art

ok i made em red
    This is even worse. You need to use colors that complement each other, not horribly clash. You also shouldn't have a blue outline on a red wing.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
    yuuichi's pixel art

change the colour on the wings to something (qoute kenji): that complements the other colour...

And the outline of the wings is still blue :(

Years
    yuuichi's pixel art

change the colour on the wings to something (qoute kenji): that complements the other colour...

And the outline of the wings is still blue :(
    Or, change the blue to something that complements the red, since it's a much better color choice than that blue. Not that it's a great choice, but it definitely beats the blue.

Also, I just noticed that you completely altered the shading by recoloring the wings. Now the wings seem to have a light source coming from the body, while the body's light source is coming from the left. That.. isn't good.

Years
    • Seen today
    Personally, I think Red is fine. I mean look at Salemance, Blue body with red wings, nothing wrong with it.

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
    i changed the wings outline and added a lower bodie and maade it face bottom left next is adding arms

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I've stayed out of this topic because when I first saw it, things were a mess... but after a few weeks, it still feels like you're not really listening to what people are saying. Pokemon sprites are designed according to the environment of the game; to create a space for status boxes displaying HP and such, the sprites are placed in the top right and bottom left corners of the field. However, since they ARE engaged in battle with each other, the sprites are drawn at an angle to show that they're facing their opponents, as shown below. Also shown below, the sprites are lit by a single light source in the top left corner.

yuuichi's pixel art

Your sprites, when placed in the same field, would look something like the image below. As you can see, the sprites seem to be ignoring each other, and the shading can't be traced to any single light source.

yuuichi's pixel art

The other major problem is your palette selection; while the wings DO look nice and smooth, that's not necessarily something you want in a Pokemon sprite. To get the most natural-looking result, I like to use existing palettes from Pokemon sprites. You should try recoloring your latest sprite, using the palettes from Milotic, Volbeat, or Latias (for the red) and Wailmer or Kyogre (for the blue). Or, well, whichever palettes you want to use.

I also recommend giving my tutorials a try... specifically, you should try making a small terrestrial mammal, they're good practice.

Back