• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should IV's be removed from the games?

Should IV's be removed?

• Yes

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

Palkia_279

Palkia's master
Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2008
    I say yes. First of all, getting a Pokemon with good IV's is VERY, VERY, VERY rare. Second of all, it's very hard to figure out what the IV's of your Pokemon are. Most people don't even try to figure out what IV's the Pokemon has, and just EV train thier Pokemon, with the perfect nature, up to level 100. But, the Pokemon, even at level 100, could possibly suck because of low IV's. Oh joy. I just wasted 6 hours of my life. >.<

And IF there ever is a new RPG Pokemon game, they can still get rid of IV's, even if the Pokemon were traded over from the currently existing games. To do this, they can just make it so the IV's they already have don't determine how strong they are, but still remain. So if they're traded back, they will have they're IV's.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Dave, IVs are cetain boosts to the stats that are determined when the Pokemon is caught/hatched/obtained. They range from 0 to 31, for all stats, and I believe the IV number is the number added to that stat by Level 100.

I'm not so sure. They could do without, but they'd have to find some other way to make up for the posssible 31 stat-point boost they'll give a Pokemon. Either that or they could just openly make IVs a thing to be known. They could be easily checked and the ways to breed them onto Pokemon could be more known. That way it wouldn't matter that they're so rediculously annyoing now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2008
    IV's are made so that two pokemon in the game, if caught in the wild, wouldn't be the same. Of course if it was the same pokemon species with max IVs and same EVs the pokemon would have the exact same stats.

Palkia_279

Palkia's master
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2008
    IV's are made so that two pokemon in the game, if caught in the wild, wouldn't be the same. Of course if it was the same pokemon species with max IVs and same EVs the pokemon would have the exact same stats.
    Um, EV's that they already have, and different Natures and personalities make Pokemon different from each other enough.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • I do not want them removed from the games. They add on to a Pokemon's uniqueness of stats. Otherwise there would be billions of Garchomps with the exact same Attack stat.

Palkia_279

Palkia's master
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2008
    Have you forgotten about the natures? Or the EV's they gain? Guess so.

Look, if IV's didn't exist, two of the same species of Pokemon wouldn't have the EXACT same stats. There is much more things that manupulate how a Pokemon's stats turn out other than IV's. IV's play a very small role compared to what Natures, Personalitties, and EV's do.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • HAIL NAW
    Ok in no way should IVs take a hike, when us competitive players love it, losing it would mess up hidden power, which is one of the best moves in todays metagame.

Secondly, IVs are the core of a pokemon, and are not hard like you say to breed at all, go get a ditto, no offense but yeah...Sheesh erfect ivs and above 30s can be hard in every stat, but in other cases shouldnt be that difficult to come by. There are numeros way to get great ivs, it just takes time.

IVs are something that adds great passion to the game, and enlightens it in many ways, like a trophy ;D

thirdly, none of us raise our pokemon to 100, talking about anyone that every plays remotely competitivly, again none of us raise to lv100, once we get all our moves, ivs, evs, and nature, we all use level 100 auto on wifi, simple as that... We all use auto 100 wifi to check ivs on level 1 pokemon, no need to raise a pokemon as you say "suck" at level 100 to check ivs....

Also, losing IVs is just another excuse for A: hackers, and B: more laziness

Seriously, I mean no offense in any way, but any of us saying that it's a good thing is both a sign of lazinesss on yalls parts, and the fact that some of us like iv breeding, it is really cool to look up the ivs, and see a great pokemon

also
    Have you forgotten about the natures? Or the EV's they gain? Guess so.

Look, if IV's didn't exist, two of the same species of Pokemon wouldn't have the EXACT same stats. There is much more things that manupulate how a Pokemon's stats turn out other than IV's. IV's play a very small role compared to what Natures, Personalitties, and EV's do.
    ARE you kidding!?!?!? no no no, IVS play a giant role in pokemon, they determine the best move in the game [hidden power] and can be the sheer difference in a battle.

IVs do NOT play a small role, if they did do you think we all would be breeding for good ones? NO

And in conclusion I end with this:

"A pokemon does not need at all to be 100 to win, just some average ivs (10), a somewhat correct nature (easy abras find/everstone) and a player with skill."

I couldnt agree more with every word you said Kansas:
    That's true, on DS wifi, you can see the exact ivs on metalkids, in one short 100 auto wifi battle
    so instead of wasting your life and making terms of laziness to get rid of IVs, you could of just checked from the moment it was born

Another thing i'd like to add with kansas, as you say how stats would be different without IVs? no they would not, anyone can get the standard sets for any pokemon and have the exact same stats as the other without ivs, it would happen all the time...

I can't stress more how the hard work of IVs, are pokemons greatest reward. They give us something to say everyday: like hey I got a 25 iv pokemon, and thats something to be proud of...

So NO, ivs shouldnt even be touched.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2013
    ya seriously... IV's have been apart of the game since Red/Blue... its the part of the game that makes every pokemon unique. Not to mention, like BeachBoy said... they determine what type and strength Hidden Power they have... not having IV's would make no sense, there would be no varying stats. Theres a lot of factors that go into training and IV's are a major role and a way of rewarding you for hard work.

And aside from that... you don't need to level your pokemon to 100 to see their stats aren't good... Diamond/Pearl definitely has it set up so you can see level 100 stats EXACTLY how they're going to turn out... wasting 6 hours training your poke all the way to level 100 would be your own fault... you can tell how well a pokemon is going to turn out at level 50 also...theres really no excuse for putting that much effort in for so long and not realizing sooner, its kind of your own fault if your pokemon turn out bad... since theres PLENTY of ways to check IV's and its very simple

Palkia_279

Palkia's master
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2008
    ..........man, I REALLY need to get my own Wi-Fi.

Thanks BeachBoy, I had no idea you could do that on Wi-Fi.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Have you forgotten about the natures? Or the EV's they gain? Guess so.

Lol, no I haven't forgotten the Natures or EVs. Get into competetive, most good Garchomps would have the same nature (Jolly) with the same EV Spread (252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP). And Personalities only effect IV breeding, which in this case, is being taken out. And lol, IVs play the biggest role in effecting the stats of Pokemon. They will make the biggest difference and will have the largest effect in determining your stats (bigger than EVs and Natures). Plus, if IVs are taken out, there will be only one type of Hidden Power. Which would suck.

BeachBoy: 10 IVs are far below the normal expectancy and desire for IVs. Usually anything around the 20 range is considered average. And 25+ is considered good. But I once again agree with you on everything else. Losing Hidden Power would really suck, and more and more OU Pokemon would have the same or similar stats.

Back