• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Did Any of You...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 3, 2009
Did any of you ditch your starter pokemon and make a team without it?

EDIT: Also if you did, why, and did you replace it with a pokemon of the same type?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 3, 2023
In-game, no because I just feel a need to have it. Plus I choose that certain starter for a reason :).

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
In R/S/E? No, though I wouldn't have minded doing so.

FR/LG? Nah... I think in Leaf Green I have all the starters, actually.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 3, 2009
Im asking because i want to train my vaporeon and i just want to have one of each element but i cant leave my squirtle behind =[ lol but yea, i grow really attached to my starter.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 3, 2009
Can a team be just as good if not better without it? Doesnt your starter grow faster than any other pokemon you catch?

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2010
Can a team be just as good if not better without it? Doesnt your starter grow faster than any other pokemon you catch?

Team's strenght isn't relying on starter. Obviously, it's possible to make a good team without starter, but keeping starter in team isn't affecting it negatively. About growing, I think growth rates were added in R/S. Check on site like veekun or serebii for it. From what I recall, starters got medium growth rate.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
About growing, I think growth rates were added in R/S.

Actually, growth rates have always been around. (Someone even cracked them as early as back when Red and Blue were the only games in the franchise.)

Otherwise, yeah, I agree with you. You can have a perfectly good team without starters. In fact, many people who play competitively don't use starters on their teams. It's really just a matter of preference.

For an in-game (against the trainers within the game, such as the Gym Leaders) team, it's not that difficult to simply leave out your starter and go for another Pokemon, as any Pokemon with a powerful set of moves can take down pretty much any trainer's team in the game.

Additionally, starters don't necessarily grow faster than other Pokemon you can catch. For example, Treecko actually grows at the same rate as a Lotad.

Years
I ditched my Swampert when I first played Ruby. Because of two stupid reasons.
1)It doesn't learn Hydro Pump
2)It's ugly
Replaced it with Walrein though, and Walrein was great.

Terry M

Weepinbell: Don't hurt me!!!!!
Years
I kept Treecko because it was the only Pokemon I had that could learn CUT.I could then know what it was like behind the trees!

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
Nope and never will my starter pokemon be alone. It can't even stand a chance against the E4. A good 5 pokemon including my starter are enough.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
I kept swampert all the way through because it's one of the best pokes available early on and you get its prevolution automatically. Pretty sweet deal IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back