• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Jimmy Carter be Charged With Treason

Should Jimmy Carter be charged with treason

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • I think Jimmy Carter should be charged with treason due to his meetings with Hamas. The definition of treason in the United States is:
    United States Constitution said:
    Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
    Under this definition I think he should.

Years
  • Who is jimmy carter? Is he a terrorist?
    He is the thirty-ninth President of the United States and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002.
    Wasn't the meeting with Hamas in peace talks though? I'm sure there's a loophole that would make it fine for him to meet with them.
    The meeting was not authorized by the State Department. He held the meeting out of his own initiative and was warned by the Government not to meet with them

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I wouldn't go so far as calling a meeting treason. He was only 'warned' due to many countries non-negotiating policy with terrorists.
    Besides according to the definition of 'treason' I don't think it constitutes, since Hamas isn't exactly at war with the entire US.

Judging by his humanitarian attitude, it would be somewhat unlikely to assume his intentions would be as extreme to encourage Hamas to further engage Israel.

(Edit: after reading, the news article states that Hamas is prepared for a truce and a ceasefire). So gg to you. Seems that good has come out of the meeting?

I think you're being over-paranoid.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Who is jimmy carter? Is he a terrorist?

Ftw :D

But yeah, im over in Britain so have no heard too much about it. From what I've heard they were proposed peace talks, but i can see where the speculation would arise due to their unauthorised nature. Still, innocent until proven guilty.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    By that very same definition, Jimmy Carter is not levying war against the United States, nor is he adhering to Hamas. Besides, in order to convict him of treason, he must either confess in open court or have two witnesses testify to this supposed treason. Keep on misinterpreting the Constitution however you wish, though.
    I think you're being over-paranoid.
    It's not so much paranoia as it is a manifestation of the sectarian idiocy that seems to dominate the American conscience.

Even if Carter may have succeeded in securing peace between Israel and Hamas for the moment, neither side can really be trusted. Between Palestinian radicals and Israeli hard-liners, both of which are itching for any excuse to starting pulling triggers again, any truce does not stand much chance of lasting very long.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Seriously people, its Carter we are talking about -_-

Shouldn't get so jumpy over the decisions made by a complete idiot...

Guest123_x1

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif, Helv"]I think Carter's meeting with Hamas crossed the line big time-same with our policies of funding both sides of the Israel-Palestinian conflict (especially in the form of "humanitarian aid" to the Palestinian people which usually ends up going to the Palestinian Authority terrorist leadership anyway).
    Although the interpetation of the Constitution in a way to bring charges is broad (and possibly out of scope)-I suppose it is worth looking into-especially since the (majority of) Palestinians are going along with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's agenda of destroying Israel and the US through their support of a possible upcoming nuclear bomb.

When the Palestinians say they want "peace"-they want A PIECE (of the land). Realistically, though, they want the whole thing (replace the entire state of Israel with a Palestinian state).
    They really don't want any truce-they want full control of the land known as Israel and evict the Jews from it altogether.

You might also want to see
    https://www.israeltoday.co.il/default.aspx?tabid=178&nid=15783[/FONT]

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Seriously people, its Carter we are talking about -_-

Shouldn't get so jumpy over the decisions made by a complete idiot...
    HA! Quoted FTW.

Really... is Carter going to be charged with treason? No... So it really doesn't go past that.
    Carter has done so many stupid things in the past, and now he's running around doing this and that and adding on to the stupid things.
    And as in the worlds of the Dixie Chicks I'm ashamed that the former President of the United States (Jimmy Carter) is from Georgia.
    (ok, so I changed the quote around a little XD)

Back