• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can Pokémon be Improved?

Azonic

hello friends
Years
  • Even the craziest and most fanatic Pokémon fans must agree that there is something about Pokémon that they dislike. My question to you is what don't you like about it? What would you do if you had the chance to alter Pokémon?

I've been watching over Holy god jesus whaaaaaat, a thread by Allstories, which stated a shocking comment about the evolution chains of Metapod and Butterfree, and that of Venonat and Venomoth. Allstories made a shocking discovery of which Venonat shares more characteristics with Butterfree than it does with Venomoth, and stated that Venonat should evolve into Butterfree instead. I have also been looking over Does anyone else think that Blaziken was a bad move? in which the thread creator stated that Blaziken was a bad idea for a Pokémon. Fighting chickens are quite silly. Infernape in the fourth generation also ruined Blaziken, because of the fact that there are two starters from different generation with the exact same typing. For my answer, I'd have to agree to both of the threads that I have mentioned in this post. What I have to say is that the creators of Pokémon have to be a bit more aware and cautious about what the characters in the series look like and what they are capable of doing. The concept of the first generation obviously wasn't revised enough.

Since the minute I have seen the new fourth generation Pokémon, I have thought that Pokémon creators are running out of ideas for sprites and new Pokémon. I have to say, some of the sprites are absolutely hideous. The first of my examples is Mamoswine and Piloswine.
    478.png
    221.png

Piloswine was an okay idea, but what I truly disliked was Mamoswine. It looks nothing like Piloswine, first of all. When I first looked at the Mamoswine sprite, I was truly disappointed. Why? Because it was hideous, in my opinion. The blue and white patch around its eyes came out of nowhere during its evolution, and it really looks terrible. The main issue is its eyes, it looks like it was just slapped on the mammoth Pokémon. During the evolution chain, Mamoswine loses most of its fur and its ears, but it grows legs too. The brown tone on their fur is also differed greatly. From what I can see, Mamoswine looks like a big brown walking boulder. Some of the better sprites introduced to the Diamond and Pearl generation would be Gliscor and Yanmega.
    477.png
    474.png

Then again, the above paragraph was completely from my own opinion. I do expect some disagreements. Meh, I actually like Mamoswine as a Pokemon. It's just the sprite that I just want to rip.

The creators also need to be aware of the content they release to the public. Firstly, I would like to introduce Arceus. In the Diamond PokéDex, it states that Arceus had shaped the world with its 1,000 arms. Arceus has arms? Arceus looks like a horse, and walks on four feet just like a horse. I didn't know it had arms, let alone 1,000 of them! In the Pearl PokéDex, it had stated that it existed before the universe was created, though I remember clearly that it had been said that Mew was the first Pokémon to ever exist. Basically, the new information revealed in the third and fourth generation completely contradicts what has been said in the older times. Mew also is said that it has all of the existing Pokémon's DNA inside of it - so it has Arceus's DNA too? Also Deoxys's, when it fell from Space not too long ago? If Mew did exist early in the Earth's days, Deoxys hadn't existed. Deoxys was a virus that mutated into the Pokémon that it is right now, according to the Diamond / Pearl PokéDex. This roughly states that Deoxys hadn't existed before the meteor crash, which was a long time after the birth of Mew. How did Mew get Deoxys's DNA if they hadn't even met?

---

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the Pokémon Company needs to be more aware of the series. I'm not saying that it is completely bad, as there are much more wonderful parts than the bad parts. Personally, I think the Pokémon creators are losing it - Pokémon has evolved so much since the Red, Blue, and Yellow days and I think I like the old days better. Even the anime has just lost its track. Even with these negative comments, I still will be a Pokémon fan for years to come.

So what do you think was a bad idea in Pokémon? What could you do to improve / fix it (if you had the chance)?

Last edited:

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
  • This thread gives me a good laugh at all of Nintendo's blunders.
    I agree with absolutely everything you put in here.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • I have to say I completely agree. When I saw the thread involving Venonat and Butterfree, it hit me for the first time after all these years how similar they are. And with Blaziken, they completely ruined the point of that Pokemon by introducing a Pokemon with the same typing but better stats in the next generation.

The point is, the complany's idea tank is running dry. We're seeing more or less same old, same old as the latest generations are being released. I feel that they should at least reach into the ideas of their loyal fans who put money in their pockets. Look at Pokemon Acanthite, for example. Some of those Pokemon are genius.

As for improvements, possibly the battle engine in some way. It could ruin things, but there are a few things that wouldn't happen realistically, like falling for a Taunt while asleep, or no recharge if Hyper Beam misses, no Sp. Atk drop if Draco Meteor misses. Because you've still used the attack, it has just missed the target. If you see where I'm coming from. =/

Last edited:

MetalMEB

O_______O
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 18, 2012
    I agree with you on all of it too. Especially with the Butterfree/Venonat thing.

Although I made a post stating that I thought the Butterfree line was fine the way it was because the bugs Metapod and Caterpie were based on only turn into butterflies. But then I woke up all the way and deleted my post =P Venonat looks way too much like Butterfree. It should've evolved into it.

I agree... And I hate how they're running out of ideas for Pokemon. And I hope if there is a next gen that they stop with the effin Pikachu look alikes >_> We already have like what... Maril line, Minun/Plusle, Pachirisu... That's 6 look alikes

I'm also disappointed with the appearance of a lot of Pokemon in the 4th Gen... I hope they look better in the next gen, if that is, there is one.

That's all I want... Better looking Pokemon, more unique, (but GOOD) typing, less legendary Pokemon, and a better storyline.

Yep.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    Firstly, I would like to introduce Arceus. In the Diamond PokéDex, it states that Arceus had shaped the world with its 1,000 arms. Arceus has arms? Arceus looks like a horse, and walks on four feet just like a horse.

You know that wheel-looking thing on Arceus' back? I always assumed that whenever Arceus is using it's godly powers, the wheel metamorphs into a thousand arms.

I would've liked a panda pokemon that was Psychic/Dark type, but Spinda completly ruined that dream...

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
  • You know that wheel-looking thing on Arceus' back? I always assumed that whenever Arceus is using it's godly powers, the wheel metamorphs into a thousand arms.

I would've liked a panda pokemon that was Psychic/Dark type, but Spinda completly ruined that dream...

Not necessarily, maybe they'll do something special with Spinda in the 5th gen by giving it a sexy new evolution.

Spinda is all about being out of balance, well, what if there is a status move coming up called "Balance", maybe it hightens all the stats, or makes them level to a good amount. Spinda evolves with that, becomes a "Balance Pokemon" Pandlance or something. It has the Psychic/Dark or maybe Normal/Fighting, but I like the Psychic/Dark better.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • I have to say I completely agree. When I saw the thread involving Venonat and Butterfree, it hit me for the first time after all these years how similar they are. And with Blaziken, they completely ruined the point of that Pokemon by introducing a Pokemon with the same typing but better stats in the next generation.

The point is, the complany's idea tank is running dry. We're seeing more or less same old, same old as the latest generations are being released. I feel that they should at least reach into the ideas of their loyal fans who put money in their pockets. Look at Pokemon Acanthite, for example. Some of those Pokemon are genius.

As for improvements, possibly the battle engine in some way. It could ruin things, but there are a few things that wouldn't happen realistically, like falling for a Taunt while asleep, or no recharge if Hyper Beam misses, no Sp. Atk drop if Draco Meteor misses. Because you've still used the attack, it has just missed the target. If you see where I'm coming from. =/
    I agree. Pokémon is probably at the point where it should start accepting new ideas from their loyal fans. They couldn't do a good job themselves, and they've already proved it do us with the games they've produced. For improvements, I'd really try to get their Pokémon characters back on track. As I've said before, the new Pokémon sprites are terrible. Perhaps Pokémon could add a feedback place where fans can drop off their own suggestions to Pokémon.

#Gecko#

Alert: Tacos Rule
    Years
  • I think the Pokedex entries should not mix up w/ each other and the anime must have more plot and less boring and uninteresting fillers. Well, they're not boring, but I get discouraged when that filler leads to nowhere.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Since the minute I have seen the new fourth generation Pokémon, I have thought that Pokémon creators are running out of ideas for sprites and new Pokémon. I have to say, some of the sprites are absolutely hideous.

I have to agree there. The sprites for a lot of the new 4th gen Pokémon aren't attractive at all, and we're seeing a lot of the same things.

However, it's not just the sprite designs they're running out of ideas for, it's the Pokémon themselves. When D/P first came out over a year ago, I was a little disappointed in the fact that the Sinnoh Dex was made up of a lot of previous-generation Pokémon evolutions and useless baby Pokémon. The fountain of ideas that the creators of Pokémon had going so well for them before is starting to dry out now, as DeanoDance said.

DeanoDance said:

I totally agree there. I've seen plenty of Pokémon hacks with incredibly well-done sprites and well-developed Pokémon. Fans could easily help bring fresh, new ideas into the Pokémon franchise, since the company are running out of fresh, new ideas themselves.

Perhaps the decrease in creativity on the creators' part is why we've seen so many Pokémon evolutions and pre-evolutions in the 4th generations than any other generation so far? I was really looking forward to seeing some more original Pokémon. D:

Years
  • I'm sure some people may want to see no more pokemon, just the originals maybe and then to build on this with better, more realistic gameplay.
    So there are more possibilities within the game, you can take it in many directions and make it seem like it is your game. As opposed to many people's game's being so similar.

You could put all sorts of stuff in. More named characters, who aren't there as a part of the storyline but rather are just side things. Kind of like in animal crossing.

I love Aerodactyl

King of Call of Duty 4!
    Years
  • Anime: I wish the anime could be more like the manga. In the manga, an Arbok was cut in half by Charmeleon's tail. Also, two Magmar's were frozen and broken in half by Giovanni's Cloyster. I know, I know, the anime is supposed to be "kid friendly" but let's be honest, there would be more fans if there were more stuff in the anime like there is in the manga.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • That would be really graphic for little kids. It might do them some harm. I recall reading that an episode that was aired about Ash having a gun. He was flying in the air on a Dragonair shooting his gun. Shortly after it aired, there were a lot of child shootings - many whom were Pokemon fans. If the makers of Pokemon wanted it to be more violent and less kid friendly, then they should have decided it before they released Pokemon to the public. They've chose to be more children-friendly, and they have to finish what's been started. =/

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • On the '1,000 arms' thing about Arceus, oddly enough, if it has so many arms, tell me why it cannot learn Focus Punch, Shadow Claw, or anything involving the limb we know are 'the arm'.

About Mew's DNA, does that mean it's in Porygon/2/Z? These were man-made, but if all Pokemon have Mew's DNA, then do man-made have it in them? What about Castform? If I remember correctly, the weather people made it in RSE. Where does Mew's DNA kick in there?

Anime: I wish the anime could be more like the manga. In the manga, an Arbok was cut in half by Charmeleon's tail. Also, two Magmar's were frozen and broken in half by Giovanni's Cloyster. I know, I know, the anime is supposed to be "kid friendly" but let's be honest, there would be more fans if there were more stuff in the anime like there is in the manga.

Kids don't know there's a Pokemon manga, let alone would be able to get it and read it. Lets leave the manga out of this. It's fine being unknown to the 'little kid eye'.

On the sprites, they made a good move with Leafeon and Glaceon. Many Eevee fans, and fans in general, have been waiting on a grass-type Eeveelution. As for ice, I can't say the same since Vaporeon did a good job of covering Ice attacks.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • On the sprites, they made a good move with Leafeon and Glaceon. Many Eevee fans, and fans in general, have been waiting on a grass-type Eeveelution. As for ice, I can't say the same since Vaporeon did a good job of covering Ice attacks.

Umm.. *cough*. XD

Truth be told, I was more looking for a Normal type Eeveelution, from Generation IV, since it goes without saying, it should really have a type for every possibility. A Normal type Eevee Evolution would sooooooooo look awesome.. but I fell in love with Glaceon, when I saw it, the first time. <3

I've been watching over Holy god jesus whaaaaaat, a thread by Allstories, which stated a shocking comment about the evolution chains of Metapod and Butterfree, and that of Venonat and Venomoth. Allstories made a shocking discovery of which Venonat shares more characteristics with Butterfree than it does with Venomoth, and stated that Venonat should evolve into Butterfree instead. I have also been looking over Does anyone else think that Blaziken was a bad move? in which the thread creator stated that Blaziken was a bad idea for a Pokémon. Fighting chickens are quite silly. Infernape in the fourth generation also ruined Blaziken, because of the fact that there are two starters from different generation with the exact same typing. For my answer, I'd have to agree to both of the threads that I have mentioned in this post. What I have to say is that the creators of Pokémon have to be a bit more aware and cautious about what the characters in the series look like and what they are capable of doing. The concept of the first generation obviously wasn't revised enough.

While I agree that the Venonat/Metapod thing is quite interesting, not only moths start out as caterpillars. Bees, to my knowledge, start out as larvae, over a caterpillar-like creature, which was depicted by Weedle. Maybe it would have been best they replaced Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill with Venomoth and its lower stage(s), and set Beedrill to a singe evolution Pokemon? Who knows.

Concerning Blaziken, I actually quite liked it, and it didn't bother me of the typr mishaps, as I personally thought it fitted the role rather well. Infernape, however, I do not like. Its also worth noting that I'm an avid Water type Starter fan, and to date, Blaziken is the only one to break that trend of mine, as it repaired over the course of the Generation III - IV step, with the release of the Starters for Diamond and Pearl.

On top of it all, I do agree that it seems little attention was paid to keep consistency within the franchise. I'll post more on that later, though..

Since the minute I have seen the new fourth generation Pokémon, I have thought that Pokémon creators are running out of ideas for sprites and new Pokémon. I have to say, some of the sprites are absolutely hideous. The first of my examples is Mamoswine and Piloswine.
    478.png
    221.png

Piloswine was an okay idea, but what I truly disliked was Mamoswine. It looks nothing like Piloswine, first of all. When I first looked at the Mamoswine sprite, I was truly disappointed. Why? Because it was hideous, in my opinion. The blue and white patch around its eyes came out of nowhere during its evolution, and it really looks terrible. The main issue is its eyes, it looks like it was just slapped on the mammoth Pokémon. During the evolution chain, Mamoswine loses most of its fur and its ears, but it grows legs too. The brown tone on their fur is also differed greatly. From what I can see, Mamoswine looks like a big brown walking boulder. Some of the better sprites introduced to the Diamond and Pearl generation would be Gliscor and Yanmega.
    477.png
    474.png

Then again, the above paragraph was completely from my own opinion. I do expect some disagreements. Meh, I actually like Mamoswine as a Pokemon. It's just the sprite that I just want to rip.

I'll agree with you that there was a point in the game where I thought, "wtf? Where did these ideas come from?" with evolution-continuing Pokemon from older Generations to Generation IV. Mamoswine is also one where I thought, "Where the hell did that come from?" From its looks, I actually thought it was a stand-alone Pokemon, because it doesn't relate to Piloswine, except by name; I was surprised to learn it was an evolutionary; the final one, at that, of Swinub.

As for Gliscor and Yanmega, I can agree with you again, that they're some of the better sprites to come out of Generation IV. A favourite of mine, aside from the Eevee Evolutions, as mentioned above, would be Pachirisu, despite the fact that its a Pikachu imitation, with the 5th Generation likely showing an expected evolutionary form named "Raichirisu".

The creators also need to be aware of the content they release to the public. Firstly, I would like to introduce Arceus. In the Diamond PokéDex, it states that Arceus had shaped the world with its 1,000 arms. Arceus has arms? Arceus looks like a horse, and walks on four feet just like a horse. I didn't know it had arms, let alone 1,000 of them! In the Pearl PokéDex, it had stated that it existed before the universe was created, though I remember clearly that it had been said that Mew was the first Pokémon to ever exist. Basically, the new information revealed in the third and fourth generation completely contradicts what has been said in the older times. Mew also is said that it has all of the existing Pokémon's DNA inside of it - so it has Arceus's DNA too? Also Deoxys's, when it fell from Space not too long ago? If Mew did exist early in the Earth's days, Deoxys hadn't existed. Deoxys was a virus that mutated into the Pokémon that it is right now, according to the Diamond / Pearl PokéDex. This roughly states that Deoxys hadn't existed before the meteor crash, which was a long time after the birth of Mew. How did Mew get Deoxys's DNA if they hadn't even met?

I completely agree with the consistency problem you've listed; especially with Deoxys and Arceus, who break it completely. However, the Deoxys thing is not impossible. Its quite possible that Mew did create it, albeit, for some reason, it was lost in space, or of something similar. Arceus, however, blatantly contradicts the statement from Mew's being the source of all Pokemon, by saying it created the world, and likely all Pokemon, as well. Creating the world is fine and all; Mew could have created Arceus so it could create the world with its never-seen 1,000 arms, but the major problem; statements (to my knowledge) stem that Arceus created all life. Consistency died, indeed.

I said it before, and I'll repeat; I think Arceus was just something they threw in on the end, just so they could have another Legendary. Its something I don't really like, but so long as I enjoy the games, I can't really complain.. but they definitely do need to start taking fan base feedback on how to create the next Generations of Pokemon. Their ideas are stemming to a sharp curb, and its not a nice drop, off the edge..

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the Pokémon Company needs to be more aware of the series. I'm not saying that it is completely bad, as there are much more wonderful parts than the bad parts. Personally, I think the Pokémon creators are losing it - Pokémon has evolved so much since the Red, Blue, and Yellow days and I think I like the old days better. Even the anime has just lost its track. Even with these negative comments, I still will be a Pokémon fan for years to come.

So what do you think was a bad idea in Pokémon? What could you do to improve / fix it (if you had the chance)?

Here here! Although there are negative parts, the good ones counter it quite nicely, for me. Amidst the inconsistency, there is still stuff there that helps to compensate for it. Maybe not fully, but it does an okay job in doing so.

As for what I'd do to help improve Pokemon, were I able to.. I'd make the next Generation completely original, by way of Pokemon species. I'd not add any Pokemon in there from the previous Generations, except maybe Eevee, since to face the point, if it fits, Eevee needs its evolutionary chain completing, since it still has a lot of types to cover; including an evolutionary form I think should have been covered long ago; a Normal type one.

For unique ideas, I'd take a survey from the fan base, allowing them to give their ideas on the next batch of Pokemon, however, make it so that only original ideas were accepted; no evolutions/pre-evolutions of current existing Pokemon.

I wouldn't know where to start with the storyline, but like people have said before, in another thread, I'd definitely either get rid of the Elite Four, and replace it with a league, or change it so that it falls to a league, and they are allowed to challenge the Elite Four, afterwards.

For the added challenge, it'd be pretty interesting if the Gym Leaders were always 5 levels ahead of you, or something. XD;

But yeah.. ideas need to come from the fan base, now.. because its evident they're running out of them, and are running to pre-evolutions/evolutions of past Pokemon for a safety net.
    (long, post is long.. x.x;; )

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • For the added challenge, it'd be pretty interesting if the Gym Leaders were always 5 levels ahead of you, or something. XD
    You know that in sliver pokemon for leaders where 5 levels ahead if you only battled trainers right? Anyweh on topic um finish off the main continent of pokemon with 3 more regions add 2 more island regions a connected region to sinnoh and enough bout regions. Pokemon wise an uber panda some evos to finish off the whole old dex of johto/kanto and um thats it.
    Gameplay wise um how bout a customisable character the ability to choose sides um not go and save the world as a retarded mute kid and thats it.
    Anime and manga wise I can give a hoothoot dropping cause meh tiss all bout the games!

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • The Original 251 Pokemon was Perfect... Generation III was a little off putting at first, but the good ones outweighed the bad so it was also an acceptable Addition in the end, however... Generation 4... Nintendo quick theres still time to go back and pretend it never happened!!!

Yeah, I've been readind pokemon special and... I love it, they should make a high quality PG-M rated Anime from it... not sure why but... Red = Tyson from Beyblades...haha I think so anyway.

Back