• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The quad region tournament saga!

Elekid Kid

Banned
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    The quad region tournament saga! edited and revised!

Well, this is my first fanfic, im sorry it is a bit on the short side, i will be adding much longer chapters as the fic goes on. This was just a taster to see how people like it, and if there are things to work on. I hope you enjoy it.

The scene was amazing. Awe inspiring Stadiums, Training Pitches, modern hotels and restaurants set against a stunning backdrop of sea, dotted with swimmers and boats. For Donny, this was the stuff dreams were made of. Pokemon trainers hung around everywhere. Some were relaxing by the sea or queuing at hotdog stands, but most were cooing over their precious pokemon, grooming them and boasting about them to others while Wingull flew overhead.
    This was Middle World Island, home to the Quad Region Cup, the tournament held every four years where one hundred of the world's most powerful trainers gathered from the four regions of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh to be crowned the ultimate trainer in the whole world. To claim the title they would have to battle through everyone in their path from the large number of fenced off official battle pitches to the islands 15 50,000 seater stadiums.
    Donny had come far since he had first started out with Charmander back when he was a novice. He had with him his team of pokemon he had collected on his travels, and he was ready.
    "Come on Charmeleon we have to find the Pokemon Centre and register!" he called back to his trusted partner.
    "Char!" Chameleon turned away from the delicious smell of pepperoni wafting from a pizza joint at the side of the road and followed its trainer through the maze of people towards the large, modern steel structure that was the Pokemon Centre. Many flags with pokeball icons waved about in the sea breeze, while the biggest screen Donny had ever seen advertised a new brand of pokeball Silph Corporation of Kanto had released.
    The automatic glass doors glided open to reveal an enormous circular lobby with benches, computers and elevator doors around the wall. The foyer reached up the full height of the building ending in a glass dome. About every three metres up there was a circular walkway round the wall, with corridors leading to the rooms. A huge oak desk stood in the middle of the room, many beaming Nurse Joys waiting behind the counter to serve the long queues of people. Above the Desk there was another big screen, not as large as the one outside, but still big enough that everyone in the room could see it. Right now it displayed the words "Welcome to the Middle World Island Pokemon Centre" Donny was seriously impressed and continued admiring the building while he waited to be served.
    "Welcome to the Pokemon Centre, may I help you?" the receptionist asked, as though she had asked the question a million times that day.
    "Hello, yes I have reservations for a room and I'm also here to register for the tournament, all my information is on there."Donny said, as he handed the receptionist two pieces of paper held together with a paper clip. After the receptionist had tapped away at her computer for a couple of minutes, she handed the papers back along with a room key, a card with a string attached, and a booklet.
    "Your room is 3021, right at the top on the thirtieth floor, the card will let you into the trainer lounge and other exclusive areas, maybe even get you a free meal if you're lucky, You also need it to get into the competitors entrance in the stadiums, you are also allowed two friends to sit on your team bench. You should leave at least half an hour to get to your Specified Venue for your battles, which are announced on the big board above me, if you have any queries the booklet has it explained. I hope you enjoy your stay and good luck!"
    "Thank you very much."Donny turned to go and got scared out of his wits when he was bounded into by a six foot five pack of muscle.
    "Hey! If it isn't old Donny!" Donny's first instinct to having a massive sixteen year old boasting a six pack and an afro that added a foot to his height was to run away and call 911, but then he realised who it was, who could ever forget? After all, he had once tried to mug him.
    "Huh? Marcus! You made it to the championships too!"
    "You betcha! I'm here to compete and win! No-one else will stand a chance!" Marcus roared confidently punching his fist into his hand.
    "Um, excuse me guys, I hate to break up this lovely reunion, but could you move away? Your holding up the other guests." The receptionist had become irritated and taken action amidst the grumbling of an elderly couple due up next.
    "Right sorry, we have to catch up! How about a warm up battle?"
    "All about the battling as always, man. But I accept; I need to give my pokemon the sense of victory so they know what to expect!"
    A tall lean boy shrouded in a black cloak walked briskly along a small dirt path, lost in his thoughts. He was full of contempt. Why was he even bothering to compete? He was far superior to everyone on this island; they should just crown him right now.
    "Grr!" The boys Houndoom swivelled his head and raised his tail.
    "Hm, what is it Houndoom?" the boy looked up to see a crowd gathering around a patch of ground with a battling pitch marked roughly on it.
    "Just some mediocre trainers trying to put on a good show. Look, he hasn't evolved his Charmeleon yet, what a loser. And that other one, trying to look hard. Still, not all trainers have the skill to enter my elite. Hopefully they will provide some entertainment in the championship." As the boy turned away a ground shaking crash caused him to stop dead in his tracks. As he turned around in curiosity an almighty roar pierced his ears. Screams and gasps came from the spectators. No doubt about it, a Steelix had entered the fray.
    "Breloom lets go!" yelled Donny, tossing a pokeball.
    "I see you have been doing your homework." Noted Marcus, clearly seeing that Donny had gone for type advantage. "But it's not going to work!"
    "We will see, Breloom Dynamic Punch!" Breloom extended its hand and charged towards the huge iron snake.
    "I'd figure you would use a fighting move, but it won't work! Steelix take the blow then use Dragonbreath!" Steelix took the heavy blow like he was tapped and then let rip an incredible blast of energy that sent Breloom flying.
    "Breloom, hold out! Force palm!" again Breloom charged and attacked and again Steelix stayed strong knocking Breloom back with an iron tail.
    "If we can't affect that beast down here then we'll attack where the brain is! Sky Uppercut! Jump all the way!" Donny cried desperately, as Breloom leapt up, Marcus ordered Steelix to send a hail of Stone Edge rocks down, grinding Brelooms leap to a halt.
    "Use seed bomb on the rocks!" Breloom continued upwards blasting rocks out of its way. Donny thought about the power of the Stone Edge, and then he made his move.
    "Use Counter! turn the stone edge around!" Breloom swung around in midair and raised its hands, halting the shower of rocks and sending them right back where they came from, as well as opening its mouth and giving Steelix the strongest hail of Seed Bombs it could muster. But Marcus wasn't about to give up, ordering Steelix to finish it with another Dragon Breath, Steelix opened its mouth, but gave another almighty roar of pain and came smashing to earth under a storm of rocks and Seed Bombs. A round of applause and cheering came from the audience as Marcus' jaw dropped in disbelief.
    "No way man! Steelix we'll just have to train harder and next time we'll win, you did great."As Marcus called Steelix in, Donny walked up to him with Breloom and Charmeleon, carefully avoiding the massive holes in the ground the battle had left.
    "Great match Marcus. It was supposed to be warm up but it turned into a truly intense battle. Maybe we will meet again in the finals. For now though we better get to the pokemon centre and rest up and treat our pokemon, Its essential they are in top shape for the coming weeks. " By now the crowd had dispersed, the sun was setting and both the boys wanted to get back to the Pokemon Centre and relax. After they had made it back to the paved road, The cloaked boy stepped out of the shadows and spoke into a walkie talkie he had retrieved from a pouch on his belt.
    "Calling Headquarters, this is 88, calling to report that everything is going smoothly, continuing analysis of trainers, nothing special, over and out." The boy approached the cliff face and smirked as he looked over the horizon. Soon everything would become clear, once he was crowned champion no one would give him any hassle, and he could manipulate everything until he had the world in his grasp, and his organization would take over the world, and he would be rewarded beyond anything.
    ****************************end of chapter one********************

I know it is short, i will probably edit it tommorow and add more

Last edited:

Lukespade

Poke'mon Author
    Years
  • interesting but

plz be more descriptive in the enviornment and characters. otherwise sounds like an interesting story base

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Don't mess with the font, and try to paragraph. Also, two enters when a new person talks. We can't put tabs here, so we have to stick to that. Also, a bit more description would help. How exactly was Stone Edge used? How did Breloom blow it up? Also, don't post unfinished chapters. Yeah. Uhm... It's interesting. The story is pretty good and interesting, but it sort of stops there. I've got a hard time at this sorta thing so I'll let Xanthine or POB do the full review.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • I've got a hard time at this sorta thing so I'll let Xanthine or POB do the full review.
    Looks like I got here first *Glances around for Xanthine.* Yay! I get first review.

Anyway, as Dark Lakitu said, you need to space out your paragraphs with an empty line between each. Also, default font formatting is a good thing to use rather than custom fonts. Custom fonts tend to do bad things to people's eyes, especially to those as bad as mine. Plus, messing with fonts is against the PFF rules found here.

Now, on to the grammar/mechanics review.

You had terrible transitions littering this chapter. One such example is this:
    The scene was amazing. For Donny, this was the stuff dreams were made of. Pokemon trainers hung around everywhere.
    You should gradually lead the reader to that conclusion rather than jump to it all at once. Add some more detail before saying that there were trainers everywhere. You could give the reader an image of the scene, a more specific description of the trainers, etc. That way, it won't feel like you're trying to skip through as much information as you can to get to the climax of the story. Just remember: your readers will like your story more if they can picture everything in their minds. It isn't like the climax is the only part of the story the reader focuses on; they tend to focus more on the detail.

Another problem with that opening paragraph is that we have no idea what "everywhere" looks like. It could be a mall, a stadium, a beach, etc. There are countless settings this could take place in, and you do nothing to narrow the field down. That is something that needs to be changed immediately.

Another thing you did was separating what should have been one paragraph into several. A paragraph is a series of sentences with related ideas. The only time you should start a new paragraph is when a new idea presents itself, or a new topic. An example of what you did is as follows:
    The scene was amazing. For Donny, this was the stuff dreams were made of. Pokemon trainers hung around everywhere.
    And here is your "second" paragraph:
    Some were relaxing by the sea or queuing at hotdog stands, but most were cooing over their precious pokemon, grooming them and boasting about them to others while wingull flew overhead.
    These two sections should have actually existed in the same paragraph, not different ones. The reason for this is that your second part continues the idea of there being several trainers hanging out, so separating them makes absolutely no sense. The only time you would separate these two parts would be if you had something between them, which should not happen if you structure it logically anyway.

The atmosphere seemed laid back, but before long, the air would tighten up and the battles would begin.
    This is quite a puzzler in my opinion. Some poor foreshadowing is portrayed here, made poor by the fact that you used opposite descriptions of the same thing. Also, using the word "seemed" weakens the meaning behind what you are saying, because you are implying that it is a point of view issue. That makes it more like one person could see it as laid back while another would see it as tense. If you are trying to get the message across that the trainers were laid back along with the current atmosphere of the time, then you should change your wording there.

You may want to consider trashing that entire foreshadow. It does nothing to get your point across that gradual introduction couldn't do better. If you want to do a foreshadow still, then you need to make it more subtle rather than "OMG!!!" out there. A complete rewording would be necessary to make it effective.

This was Middle World Island, home to the Quad Region Cup, the tournament held every four years where one thousand powerful trainers gathered from the four regions of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh to be crowned the ultimate trainer in the whole world.
    A few grammar errors here. Johto was misspelled and you forgot a comma after "Hoenn." I have a few issues about this paragraph as well.

First off, don't you think one thousand trainers is a little excessive? I would think that regional qualifying tournaments would have taken place in each of the four regions that would have cut the participating trainers down to less than one hundred. It just seems a little unlikely that one thousand trainers would be gathered in one place to battle.

Secondly, one island supposedly holds the battles of one thousand trainers. If you wanted to make that even somewhat plausible, you would need ten or more stadiums. You have to figure that round one would feature five hundred battles, round two would have two-hundred and fifty, round three would have one-hundred and twenty five, and so on. That would get to be rather time consuming, especially for one stadium. In real time, the tournament would be dragged out to several weeks to accomodate the multitude of battles and the need for trainers and Pokemon to rest between battles.

Thirdly, do you think any person in their right mind would want to watch one thousand hundreds of battles in one tournament? You have to think about the judges, how many battles they could take before they would become insane, and the fact that crowds bore easily. No one, no matter how crazy for battles they may be, could possibly sit through that many battles with no second thoughts.

For this part, you just really need to work on realism. I would suggest changing the number of trainers that will be in the tournament to sound more realistic, and perhaps specify how many stadiums there are on this island.

This was serious. But Donny had come far since he had first chosen Charmander as his starter pokemon that magical day when Professor Oak had come to visit him in Cinnabar Island . He had with him his team of pokemon he had collected on his travels, and he was ready.
    This is very awkward wording. When you said that there were one thousand trainers, all of whom were among the best of their region, we were able to guess that it was a serious thing. The next sentence, the one dealing with his Charmander, just sounded awkward. Your wording really confuses the meaning of the sentence, and should be changed to better communicate your message. Maybe not describing the day he got Charmander as "magical" would be the best way to do it.

Another thing that is seriously wrong with this paragraph is that Professor Oak visited Donny at his home. In every canon I have seen, the Professor never goes to the character; the character goes to the Professor. Plus, giving Donny one of the cliche "starter" Pokemon may turn him into a Gary-Stu. I would try to avoid that if I were you. If you are unsure of what a Gary-Stu is, the I would suggest reading this article on Wikipedia.

"Come on, Charmeleon, we have to find the Pokemon Centre and register!" he called back to his trusted partner.
    Wait, he is at the biggest tournament of the world and only has his starter at stage two? This is good in that it makes your character less Stu-ish, but I really hope he has some really strong Pokemon that have yet to be introduced yet...

"Char!" Charmeleon turned away from a weedle it had been eyeing hungrily and followed its trainer through the maze of people towards the large, modern steel structure that was the Pokemon Centre.
    I'm not sure why a Charmeleon would hungrily eye a Weedle. For one, Weedle is quite poisoness and would most likely hurt Charmeleon a great deal before it could incapacitate it. Two, swallowing down the barb on its head would be no small feat, as it would probably burn horribly on the way down. Three, a well-trained Pokemon probably wouldn't entertain instinct and would instead prefer Pokefood over other Pokemon.

The automatic glass doors glided open to reveal an enourmous circular lobby dotted with benches, computers and elevators. Pride of the place went to a long oak desk with people queing to check in with one of the many Nurse Joys. It was impressive.
    It's good to see you adding in more description, but this still needs some work. You had no transition into this sentence, and it ended up going from "They headed towards Pokemon Center" to "They enter Pokemon Center." You give no description of the walk towards it, none of the awe they would feel looking at such a magnificent structure, nothing at all really.

Also, this paragraph had some awkward wording too. Instead of saying "Pride of the place went to ...", you should have said "The many Nurse Joys behind the long, oak desk seemed to beam with pride as Donny admired the building." This clears up diction and syntax errors strewn about this section, and just sounds better all around.

"Hey! If it isn't old Donny!" Donny turned to see where the shout had come from to find an enormous muscular guy with a Mohican charging towards him.
    This paragraph needs some work too. Just how muscular was this "guy"? How large was the Mohican? What did the guy look like? Those are a few of the questions your readers will have in regards to this section. You answer none of those, and there are plenty more that need answered as well. A lot more detail is needed to allow the reader to imagine the scene effectively.

"Huh? Marcus! You made it to the championships too!"
    The way this is set up leads me to believe that this is more a question than an exclamation. Also, you should describe Donny's reaction through detail and dialog rather than just dialog. Describe how he said that, what his facial expression was, etc.

"You betcha! I'm here to compete and win! No-one else will stand a chance!"
    Again, describe what Marcus' looks like here and how he says this. It seems that you have a problem with describing your characters in spots with dialog.

"All about the battling as always, man. But I accept; I need to give my pokemon the sense of victory so they know what to expect!"
    Should have a semicolon there instead of nothing. Even if it is just dialog, you should separate it as if it were a normal sentence. The only time you wouldn't is if you wanted to give a rushed feel to it. However, the errors I have seen before now lead me to believe that this is not your intention, and that it was an honest error.

A tall lean boy shrouded in a black cloak walked briskly along a small dirt path, lost in his thoughts. He was full of contempt. Why was he even bothering to compete? He was far superior to everyone on this island; they should just crown him right now.
    It seems like you started rushing more here than before. You made more errors consistently here than most other places in the chapter. You should have a comma separating the two differing parts in the first sentence. Also, in the fourth sentence, since you have a contrasting idea, you should have a semicolon.

"Grr!"
    "Hm, what is it Houndoom?" the boy looked up to see a crowd gathering around a patch of ground with a battling pitch marked roughly on it.
    You should have indicated at the "Grr!" that it was a Houndoom that spoke instead of in the next character's dialog.

"Just some mediocre trainers trying to put on a good show. Look, he hasn't evolved his charmeleon yet, what a loser. And that other one, no sense that he looks like a complete nutter. Still, not all trainers have the skill to enter my own league of elite. Hopefully they will provide some entertainment in the championship."
    Several mistakes here. It looks like you really started to rush in this paragraph. You misplaced quite a few commas, putting them where periods would be more appropriate. Also, you should revise the sentence containing the underlined word. I was unable to make very much sense of it the way it is written now. Just seems like you kept writing sense everywhere you could. At least it has some semblence of realism now.

As the boy turned away he stopped dead. An enormous crash had come from the battle pitch. Then an almighty roar. Then the screams and gasps of the spectators. No doubt about it, a steelix had entered the fray.
    You need to restructure this entire paragraph. There is little logical organization going on here. It should be occurring in order of time, not randomness. The crash should come before he stops dead, but after he turns around. The rest of it seems okay, but perhaps not. Just try to reword it and see if something works better than the current form.

"You can have the first move!" offered Marcus.
    Capitalization error for one, and a period missing for two. Also, even if they are friends, or past acquaintences at least, it is highly improbable that Marcus would give Donny the first move. Furthermore, it seems like you are sticking to the game canon with that idea. If Pokemon were real, do you think they would be taking turns? The answer is no. They would be constantly attacking, defending, or evading their opponent. There would be little standing still like there is in the games. Turn based battles in fictions make them boring, while real-time battles make it exciting.

"Thanks a lot. Breloom, Dynamic Punch!" Breloom extended its hand and charged towards the huge iron snake.
    Capitalization errors with a misspell. The first word should be capitalized because it is, well, the first word of the sentence. There should be a period between a lot and Breloom since the topics are in no way related. The attack name should also be capitalized, just as a Pokemon's name should be.

"I'd figure you would use a fighting move, but it won't work! Steelix take the blow then use dragonbreath!" Steelix took the heavy blow like he was tapped and then let rip an incredible blast of energy that sent breloom flying.
    This is highly unlikely. Dynamic Punch is not only a fighting type attack, but a strong one at that. The chances of a Steelix, of all Pokemon, walking it off are slim to nil. Steelix is a Rock/Steel type, giving it a 4x weakness to fighting. Dynamic Punch should have wrecked Steelix, either fainting it or significantly weakening it.

"Breloom, hold out! Force Palm!" Again Breloom charged and attacked and again Steelix stayed strong, knocking Breloom back with an Iron Tail.
    You did proofread this, right? Because that's a lot of proofread errors. Tons and tons of capitalization errors here. They weren't just attacks this time, either. You capitalized Breloom only once in this entire passage, despite successfully doing so many times before this passage. This leads me to believe that you didn't read through it before posting it, which is a no-no.

"If we can't affect that beast down here then we'll attack where the brain is! Sky Uppercut! Jump all the way!" Donny cried desperately. As Breloom leapt up, Marcus ordered Steelix to send a hail of Stone Edge rocks down, grinding Breloom's leap to a halt.
    Again, several capitalization errors. The magnitude of these is starting to disturb me, since they are the easiest mistakes to pick out in a proofread. You should not be missing anywhere near this many at all. If you are rushing, then start taking your time. Type in a Word Processor and save often. Let one day pass before proofreading, then post. Don't just type and post if you can't eliminate errors while you're writing.

"Use Seed Bomb on the rocks!" Breloom continued upwards, blasting rocks out of its way. Donny thought about the sheer power of the Stone Edge, and his brain clicked.
    More capitalization errors. I am really starting to doubt you proofread this now. Also, you used awkward wording again in this passage. Reword it so that it sounds better and makes more sense.

"Use Counter! Turn the Stone Edge around!" Steelix let out another almighty roar and the another crash as it came down to earth under a storm of rocks and seed bombs. A round of applause and cheering came from the auddiance as Marcus' jaw dropped in disbelief.
    Capitalization errors and a missing letter in "around". Plus, you didn't describe it nearly as well as you could have or should have. You gave quite a brief summary of what happened here instead of a full description. The entire battle scene was like this though. It was more or less attack, counter, attack, counter, attack, counter, success. You need to make it interesting by adding more detail in, otherwise it will just get boring with the same repeated pattern.

"No way man! Sigh I guess I'll just have to train harder!"
    Never include the word "sigh" in dialog tags. You should have actually written that as:
    "No way man! I guess I'll just have to train harder," Marcus sighed.
    That sounds much better, doesn't it? Plus, the dialog isn't interrupted by a random sigh.

One final note. The ending was horrendously rushed. You could have drawn it out much longer. You go from "Oh, I won, lets go heal" to "I'm going to show you an intense battle soon kid". Absolutely NO transition to that part at all. You need to ease readers into a new revelation rather than pummel them with it. Try harder to gradually introduce new information/characters.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • The attack name should also be capitalized, just as a Pokemon's name should be.
    Not necessarily.

This is highly unlikely. Dynamic Punch is not only a fighting type attack, but a strong one at that. The chances of a Steelix, of all Pokemon, walking it off are slim to nil. Steelix is a Rock/Steel type, giving it a 4x weakness to fighting. Dynamic Punch should have wrecked Steelix, either fainting it or significantly weakening it.
    The anime/manga mechanics are rigged, and Steelix is a Steel/ GROUND type. It's also got massive defence.

That's kind of it.

I just have to add that you need to pick either to capitalise Pokemon names and attack names or not capitalise them at all, not both. My second two cents are up.

Post Office Buddy

Years
  • I just have to add that you need to pick either to capitalise Pokemon names and attack names or not capitalise them at all, not both. My second two cents are up.
    I probably should have elaborated further on this. When you specifically reference one Pokemon, you are supposed to capitalize it. That's because you are directly referring to an individual Pokemon rather than the entire race. When you reference the entire race, then you can use a lowercase instead.

In the case of this fiction, he directly referenced the Pokemon in question. He didn't say "the breloom" or "the steelix", but "breloom" and "steelix". The article really does make a difference.

He was also inconsistent on it, which kind of messes with it too. He alternated between "Breloom" and "breloom" quite often, so in either case he was wrong. He needs to stick with one way the entire way through.

For attacks, I consider them to be proper nouns. I have a hard time explaining why, but that's just how my brain thinks. Perhaps Xanthine can give us some insight into that?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was definitely wrong about Steelix. I haven't used it in forever, since I got one to level 100 I think, and for some reason confused it with Aggron. My bad.

Elekid Kid

Banned
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Right thanks for your comments and especially to POB for taking the time to review what I now realise was a horrible start, I have since thorouglhy revised this and I hope you will like what I have done.

Post Office Buddy

Years
  • Right thanks for your comments and especially to POB for taking the time to review what I now realise was a horrible start, I have since thorouglhy revised this and I hope you will like what I have done.
    I wouldn't call it a horrible start. It just needs some improvement. Everyone needs some improvement when writing their first fiction. I went through the exact same thing when I wrote my Prologue, and I grew from that experience. I am positive that you will grow from it too.

Anyway, I think you forgot to edit your post, as there is no difference between last night and today. Or are you still working on the editing?

Elekid Kid

Banned
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Chapter II

well this is it, i hope you like it!

Donny was woken by the sounds of what sounded like a ticker tape parade, and buried his head in his pillow hoping the parade would pass, but after what seemed like an eternity, Donny gave up on getting back to sleep, not that he'd got much sleep anyway, the coming tournament was doing his head in.
    He grabbed yesterday's sweater and pulled it over his head. After taking another ten minutes to put the rest of his clothes on, he headed over to his floor to ceiling window and admired the view. Because he was on the 30th floor, he could see right to the very horizon. A couple of early morning ferries were passing over the route between the island and the Vermilion Port in Kanto, where Donny had sat on a bench less than forty eight hours ago. But now it was as if he were in a whole new world, a whole new adventure, it was wonderful and mind numbing at the same time, he only hoped all the other trainers were feeling the same way.
    He flicked some sleep out of his eye, and was rudely prevented from slumping back to bed by a loud rapping on the door. Oh no. This could only be one person he thought to himself. Sure enough, when Donny opened the door, (after even louder banging on the door because Donny couldn't find the room key) he found Marcus, fully dressed in a new outfit consisting of a combat pattern no sleeve top and matching shorts and running shoes.
    "You're up early." Mumbled Donny
    "I've already been for a run around the island. Ten miles nonstop fast jog. Then I went to try out the gym, pumped weights for half an hour and did chin ups." Marcus said proudly.
    "It's just unfortunate you don't win this tournament by fitness levels. And what's with the racket downstairs?"
    "Haven't you heard? The big shot legendary trainer that's in all the girl's magazines, the heart throb guy, he's the tournament favourite."
    "Oh yeah I know the guy you mean, god I hate him, with his cheerleaders and his cape and everything, so unmanly."
    "Yeah, maybe he could beat me in a pokemon battle, but just let me at him with my boxing mitts on."
    "Hm, that's something I'd pay money to see. Anyway, We've got five days till the preliminaries start, and my hotel booking stops two days after the tournament finishes, so I think we should devote a few days to relaxing and preparing don't you?"
    "Sure thing, I like the sound of that massage parlour in the trainer exclusive area, and I hear they have a separate trainer lounge and practicing zone too."
    "Sounds good, but let's get breakfast first. I read about a diner in the "places to eat" guide. Serves the best waffles around apparently."
    "Welcome to the exclusive trainer lounge. We hope you will enjoy our excellent facilities during your stay." Donny and Marcus had spent an all out day of luxurious therapy. They had visited the islands renowned thermal baths, gone to the beach (Where they had both enjoyed riding around on Marcus' Wailmer and getting Water Spouted into the air) and enjoyed the best food a trainer pass can get free. Now they had decided to head to the lounge and do some strategy research.
    It had the air of a coffee house, leather chairs on a purple carpet. They headed over to a couple of free computer cubicles and swiped their cards through a reader, which gave them a password to use to log on in the future. From there a menu popped up, and Donny clicked on register pokemon to be used in the preliminary round. From there he chose to use Charmeleon, Forretress and his Manetric, giving him a nice choice of types. Next to him Marcus had picked Steelix, Snorlax and Dragonite, continuing his love of big pokemon.
    After confirming the selection they topped up on the various rules and regulations, and learnt that there were required to attend the opening ceremony in three days time, in which the ancient tradition of icon fusion would take place. Four stone tablets in a quarter circle shape inscribed with an image of the region it represented would be sealed together as a remembrance of the reason for the Quad Region Cup.
    They also found that they would be representing the region of their birth. As Donny came from Cinnabar Island he would be representing Kanto and as Marcus hailed from Cianwood City, he would be representing Johto. They logged off and took an elevator down to ground level to the private training area.
    It consisted of ten square kilometres of varying types of surface. There was a grassy area, a rocky area, and even a small artificial lake. It was quite empty as it was pretty dark and most people where at the restaurants and bars. But there were a few other trainers around and they all seemed to be hard at work. An Infernape was dodging a volley of heavy disks been fired at it by a machine and a Gengar was hard at work firing Shadow Balls at moving targets. "I've just realized you haven't yet met all the gang, care for a look?" asked Donny
    "Huh sure! But first, ladies and gentlemen" Marcus announced to an invisible crowd "let me introduce to you, the big, the strong, crushing all in their path, the team of Marcus! Let's go!" as Marcus said this he simultaneously tossed six pokeballs into the air. This caused a deafening sound as the six pokemon hit the ground. Donny was stunned as he was faced by a team of big proportions. Steelix, Wailmer, Snorlax, Dragonite, Mamoswine and Arbok all stared Donny down, making him feel very small indeed.
    "Well, size doesn't always mean strength you know!" stuttered Donny, regaining his composure. "Let me show you something!" One by one, Donny's team was revealed. First Charmeleon ran forward, followed by Forretress, Manetric, Breloom, Gallade and his beautiful Milotic. Now both teams faced each other off.
    "Wow, you have a nice team there, I can't wait to beat them in the final." Remarked Marcus
    "Can't wait to lose to them you mean." Smirked Donny.
    Thats it for now, adding a longer chapter tommorow, this is what i had time for.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2009
    Great!

Nice story, do you write alot of stories? This was really good! Keep it up!​

Back