• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Pokemon FireRed

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2009
    Hi, Well I started Pokemon FireRed Again and I've been needing help, The second gym gave me some trouble, and so did Gary.

Here's my Team:

Wartortle LV21
    Pidgeotto LV20
    Mankey LV20

Could anyone tell me what Pokemon i should get that will be useful through the whole game And what Levels i should get for each gym + the League?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
    Years
  • You have a pretty balanced team...one thing I did is I'd always catch Nidoran (male or female...or both) and I'd put them on my team. They were pretty helpful. I'm not sure, but you might be able to catch Pikachu which would be helpful for the 2nd gym. I haven't played FireRed in forever, though...

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2009
    Well i guess i could catch both Nidorans, Thanks for the help.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • You could also catch an Oddish since it is good against Misty and decent against Lt Surge. Also, towards the end of the game, it'd be good against Giovanni.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2009
    Oddish would be nice i guess. I've also Beat Misty.
    Going to play more tomorrow.

EDIT: Nidoking and Nidoqueen are out of the question I'm not going back through That Darn cave!

Last edited:

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I'd absolutely recommend an Electric-type for later in the game, which will come in very handy later. You could also try catching an Abra in Cerulean, which evolves into Kadabra and (if you can trade) Alakazam. I've never used the Abra line, but I've heard they're very handy.

As for levels, if you have a decently balanced team, you should be able to sweep through Vermillion Gym at maybe Level 20+. Keep leveling up as you go through the game, which shouldn't be too hard with the VS Seeker you get in Vermillion. Levels 45+ are around the range you want for the Elite 4 and Victory Road.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Misty, right. Well, it would have been smart to try to run into a Pikachu in Viridian Forest, but you cant go back there, i think...
    If you can, try that out, if you cant, Nidorans work for me.

Years
  • Mm, you've got a nice team.

Hm...these could be spoilers soo...(Read at your own risk!)

Spoiler:

I've also found that Butterfree is very useful for battle and capturing Pokemon. So whether you will be patient or not, catch a caterpie or metapod. Though it might be too late.

I was able to beat Misty with a Pikachu caught in Viridian Forest, but when I restarted, I didn't capture one. So I was able to beat her with my Butterfree, Pidgeotto, and Charmeleon. Mainly because I was alot of levels higher than her, I had the advantage dispite of type disadvantage.

Yep, Nidoran (male or female) are very useful in their final stages. I have an awesome Nidoking who crushes any oppenent thrown at him!!! *-*

Yep, one more thing...

Trust your team and good luck!

Last edited:
    Back