• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird fic idea: Cyrus = schizophrenic?

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
Years
  • Sooo... I haven't seen a lot of threads in the Writer's Lounge just for brainstorming ideas, but I've seen enough that I figure it's gotta be legal.

I've had a random little idea for a characterization quirk that started to turn into a few scenes that finally exploded into a W.I.P. oneshot today, so now I kinda need some feedback on the idea: what if Cyrus, Galactic boss and super-creep, is a schizophrenic? By no means am I suggesting that he actually is schizophrenic in canon, so please to not be debating over that. I'm asking, would it be a good/interesting basis for a oneshot? Even though I don't believe Cyrus has schizophrenia in any canon, I'm trying to characterize him in this fic so that schizophrenic Cyrus is as close to canon Cyrus as possible. Probably game Cyrus.

I'm not exactly an expert on schizophrenia. A single-semester psychology course, Wikipedia, a handful of articles from Schizophrenia.com, and the first thirty minutes of Donnie Darko are all I'm going on at this point. However, I'd like to, and I plan to, do a heck of a lot more research before this fic is done.

What I'm hoping for here is advice--from anyone who knows more about schizophrenia than I do, from anyone who thinks my characterization is going too off-base, from anyone who has any sort of ideas at all about how to pull this off. This thing is harder to write than I'd expected, and I'd expected it to be pretty hard. It is nearly impossible to write "voices" that don't sound like... well... like some amateur writer's overly-cliché attempt to write ZOMG HED VOICEZ!!!1! Which isn't the idea here.

The bits of canon characterization and the broad generalizations of schizphrenia I'm drawing on for this characterization:

-- Cyrus is deadpan. He himself completely denounces emotions.
    -- People suffering from schizophrenia are also often described as unemotional, cold, and aloof. This is a "negative" symptom of schizophrenia, called affective flattening, which is an extreme decrease in the ability to express emotions. Other negative symptoms include a disinterest in the lives of other people and no ability/interest in socializing.

-- Cyrus's big plan is to destroy and remake the universe with himself as its god.
    -- Not a direct connection, but, many schizophrenics have delusions of grandeur, in which they literally believe themselves to be some amazing individuals. In some cases, yes, they can believe themselves to be God or some similar concept. While Cyrus doesn't think he is a god, the fact that he tries to become one is significant in its own way.

It isn't a lot, but it's enough to build a fanfic idea off of. And here's the rest of the idea:

Probably developed it as a teen, a bit of an early case, but not too unusual. Starts with hallucinations: hearing things that he knew couldn't be real because nobody else hears them, unless the people around him are lying. The various topics that the voices like to ramble/shriek about include the fact that Cyrus is lazy, that he should kill himself, that he alone creates the universe, second by second, with every thought, and that he's let it get out of his control, and must make it anew. That's what the voices say. At times there are probably plain delusions as well, when he really DOES believe he creates the universe. Less frequent are visual hallucinations: like his surroundings turning into an abyss, patches of land floating on nothing, gravity that suddenly turns sideways and people walking on walls, water that flows up. On those days, he probably finds somewhere quiet to sit until things calm down.

Then we have modern Cyrus. Probably on some kind of medication at this point, enough to reduce the voices to annoying background dialogue. The other hallucinations, mostly, have been reduced to manageable levels. The freaky landscapes he used to see are restricted mainly to his nightmares now. But that doesn't mean schizophrenia is something in his past, or some handicap he has to deal with on a day-to-day basis as he goes about his other business. It IS his business.

Somehow, he becomes motivated to reconcile the world he knows to be real with the world he thinks to be real. His delusions tell him he is a god while his rational side tells him that he isn't, and so his solution is to make himself into a god, so the delusional and the rational can agree with each other. And there is the grand motivation of Cyrus, ta da.

So, yeah. That's the rough idea. Cue the involvement of more characters, an actual kind of ongoing plot, attempts to confuse the reader as to whether or not Cyrus is insane or if Dialga/Palkia/Giratina/Darkrai/Mesprit/Azelf/Uxie/Slowpoke is just trying to make him think he is, and frustrating attempts to write head voices that aren't boring or preposterous. It would mainly be a backstory and same-time-as-canon fic.

So, any ideas, please? Ways it just doesn't fit together, ways it doesn't make sense? Ways it does? Rules of characterization and/or schizophrenia I'm breaking? Resources? Suggestions? Helpful comments? Assurance that I'm not off my rocker for attempting this?

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Only one thing here puzzles me a bit. One of Cyrus's defining characteristics is his calmness. As you said, he is very cold and also very calm. He doesn't yell and go batshit when Dawn/Lucas destroys his plans. However, schizophrenics are often paranoid, which causes them to become a bit jumpy sometimes. Also, when it's easy for you to believe a crazy murderer is chasing you or that the whole world is simply a conspiracy against you, calmness might not be the reaction of choice. Especially when Dawn/Lucas is, in fact, after him. Not that this would prove to be a problem, but you just have to come up with an explanation for Cyrus's calmness, concidering these facts.

Other than that, I think this is a great idea. You should really go for it, but just be extra careful that it comes off neither too angsty nor too "lol look Cyrus is totally nuts, let's all point fingers at him and laugh". However, seeing how much trouble you've already seen through for this, I don't think that will be a problem. So: go for it!
    I'm already looking forward to seeing this fic posted here ^-^

ckret2

Years
  • Only one thing here puzzles me a bit. One of Cyrus's defining characteristics is his calmness. As you said, he is very cold and also very calm. He doesn't yell and go batshit when Dawn/Lucas destroys his plans. However, schizophrenics are often paranoid, which causes them to become a bit jumpy sometimes. Also, when it's easy for you to believe a crazy murderer is chasing you or that the whole world is simply a conspiracy against you, calmness might not be the reaction of choice. Especially when Dawn/Lucas is, in fact, after him. Not that this would prove to be a problem, but you just have to come up with an explanation for Cyrus's calmness, concidering these facts.

Other than that, I think this is a great idea. You should really go for it, but just be extra careful that it comes off neither too angsty nor too "lol look Cyrus is totally nuts, let's all point fingers at him and laugh". However, seeing how much trouble you've already seen through for this, I don't think that will be a problem. So: go for it!
    I'm already looking forward to seeing this fic posted here ^-^

Thanks for the suggestions! Glad you like the ideas. I actually just addressed the same stuff you mentioned in your second passage in an email I sent to a friend about the idea: most fics where characters are made "crazy" end up either angst or comedy. I'm trying to make this neither. In fact, since it IS going to be from inside his own head, it'll be very psychological. By the end, I'm hoping that it'll be hard for the reader to decide whether he's insane or whether he really is being... uh... telepathically addressed and stalked by malevolent Psychic-types Pokémon. He builds a very convincing case.

As for the very cold/very calm issue, that's one of the first things I tried to find an explanation for. I've found a few symptoms that fit:

Examples of Physical Symptoms----

--A blank, vacant facial expression. An inability to smile or express emotion through the face is so characteristic of the disease that it was given the name of affective flattening or a blunt affect.

Examples of Feelings/Emotions----

--The inability to experience joy or pleasure from activities (called anhedonia)
    --Sometimes feeling nothing at all
    --Appearing desireless- seeking nothing, wanting nothing ((certainly, Cyrus seeks and wants quite a lot, but he APPEARS desireless, so this still fits him pretty well.))
    --Feeling indifferent to important events

From Schizophrenia.com – Schizophrenia symptoms, possible early warning signs, which has just about become my favorite site in the world since starting this project. Of course, the site lists some other symptoms--such as "sudden irritability, anger, hostility, suspiciousness, resentment" and "lack of goal-directed behavior. Not being able to engage in purposeful activity"--which obviously do NOT apply to Cyrus, but not every schizophrenic displays every symptom.

And still, Cyrus could have been more suspicious/irritable/jumpy when he was younger, and maybe he still is in private when his "Emotions are for the weak!!" façade starts to slip. Also, odds are that by the time we see him in canon, he'd be on meds of some sort, so the most blatantly visible of his symptoms would be under control most of the time.

Beyond all that, though, I've got another explanation for why he's calmer than you'd expect. But that would be moving into serious spoiler territory for the fic idea.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Ah, this could be a very fun fic to read. >=D I do have some thoughts on it, though:

I don't know anything about schizophrenia past a Wikipedia article, but from the quote you gave from schizioprenia.com it said that the subject would possess an inability to show emotion/happiness/so on and so forth. Unless I'm not mistaken, didn't Cyrus go out of his mind yelling at people and things on Spear Pillar/in the Distorted World? I just beat Platinum an hour ago, and I recall Cyrus yelling at the player for making the worlds be destroyed if they catch or harm Giratina or... something. I wasn't really paying much attention to the text at that time.

Also, the suspicious/irritable/jumpy teenager!Cyrus would have had a really difficult time building his machines if he's leaping a foot into the air at the slightest noise or movement that disturbs him. It takes a lot of concentration to assemble something mechanical, and a jumpy or easily-irritated person would have to also be extremely careful with their movements.

Other than that, I think you should go ahead with this and I'll definitely be reading it.

ckret2

Years
  • Yay, more feedback. :D

Ah, this could be a very fun fic to read. >=D I do have some thoughts on it, though:

I don't know anything about schizophrenia past a Wikipedia article, but from the quote you gave from schizioprenia.com it said that the subject would possess an inability to show emotion/happiness/so on and so forth. Unless I'm not mistaken, didn't Cyrus go out of his mind yelling at people and things on Spear Pillar/in the Distorted World? I just beat Platinum an hour ago, and I recall Cyrus yelling at the player for making the worlds be destroyed if they catch or harm Giratina or... something. I wasn't really paying much attention to the text at that time.

It says "inability," but that's not literally accurate. Schizos aren't completely emotionless. In some--not all, but some--cases, the emotions are most certainly dampened, but not entirely absent. There are multiple rather confusing explanations for why this might be, but the one I'm latching onto is that because people with schizophrenia are spending so much emotional energy dealing with their private worlds, they don't have much to exert in dealing with the real world, hence less emotional expression. And then some schizophrenics really DO have a complete inability to express/comprehend emotion, but not all schizophrenics are like that. There are many different variations on schizophrenia. Some still have some emotional comprehension, some don't have any; some have hallucinations, some don't; some get paranoid, some don't.

No two cases will have the exact same symptoms, and at times the symptoms can fluctuate, getting better or worse. Cyrus in this case won't have completely uniform emotional expressiveness, which is why at times he can stare down the Deep Dark Dripping Demon Silhouette From Hell and say nothing at all except "Interesting. So, there is a Pokemon that can only appear as a shadow," and twenty minutes later snarl at the hero for stupidity. If he indeed is angry then; I thought he was getting more into megalomaniacal monologuing mode than actually expressing rage at that point (although he stated soon after that he was angry, so we know he CAN feel), but Pokémon is like the Internet, it's hard to determine emotion from the text alone.

I was paying attention to the text as hard as I could, but it's rather hard to attempt to pick up on the nuances of dialogue when you're internally fuming at realizing you have to rework a certain character's paranoid delusions. ("'Incomplete soul'?! I don't remember any of this 'incomplete soul' stuff in Pearl! I've just been jossed!") In any case, probably some of the details of characterization will shift around as I move forward in Platinum. Apparently Cyrus has a grandpa somewhere, but I'm stubborn and want to reach him and talk to him myself rather than just collect spoilers online.

Also, the suspicious/irritable/jumpy teenager!Cyrus would have had a really difficult time building his machines if he's leaping a foot into the air at the slightest noise or movement that disturbs him. It takes a lot of concentration to assemble something mechanical, and a jumpy or easily-irritated person would have to also be extremely careful with their movements.

He wasn't jumpy his whole childhood. The way I've got it planned so far, he starts getting very vague audio hallucinations around age twelve or thirteen, a bit on the young end of things but not too unusual, at which point he's already been messing around with tools long enough to know how to disassemble/reassemble basic things like telephone handsets and Poké Balls, and so he's already gained a reputation as quite the mechanic for his age. The hallucinations are general enough and in-the-background enough that he can imagine that they're from noisy neighbors or something for a while, and he's got another few years of pseudo-normalcy before the full effects of schizophrenia kick in. The symptoms that develop in the meantime are creepy nightmares (not usually recognized as a really big symptom but something that schizos often report), a sense that he's being followed by something incorporeal when he's outside that comes and goes but never becomes really constant, slowly growing awkwardness/inability to connect with other people emotionally, and a gradual increase in the complexity of the audio hallucinations to the point that he realizes that they can't be from noisy neighbors unless those neighbors are following him all over town and silent to everyone else, which he knows can't be true. He doesn't have a full-blown psychotic episode until seventeen.

So, up until then, he can work with his machines without much difficulty (just occasional distraction when he thinks he hears someone talking to him and decides "Must be my imagination..."), and then when he gets control of his symptoms enough that he can function--I haven't decided how long that'll take him yet--he'll be able to get back to his machines without much trouble. And anyway, he'll definitely be fairly paranoid as a teen, but not quite "jumpy"; that was my bad word choice there.

But yeah, I'll definitely be dealing with the trying-to-work-with-machines-while-schizo issue to some degree. Right now, the earliest (chronological) scene I've written so far has him trying to disassemble a phone, but getting constantly distracted because he keeps thinking he hears someone in the hall behind him. Thin walls, he figures.

Other than that, I think you should go ahead with this and I'll definitely be reading it.

Thanks! :D I just hope the fic will live up to all the planning/plotting/researching that's going into it, heh.

As long as I'm here asking for advice, does anyone have any ideas for how Saturn and Mars might've ended up following Cyrus and becoming Commanders? I've got plans for Jupiter already. In this fic, Jupiter will join Cyrus first, followed by Mars, followed by Saturn; Jupiter's around 22 years old, Mars is around 17 or 18, and Saturn's around 19 or 20. (And all except Mars feel a bit young, but I think Jupiter's older than Saturn and that Cyrus is at least five years older than Jupiter, and if Cyrus is 27... I still can't believe Cyrus is 27, heh.)

Back