• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DENN: OOC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
Years
  • Post questions, comments, and sign-ups here. The roleplay thread is located here.

I'll also be using this space to keep track of sign-ups, caught Pokemon, and assorted stuff.

Sign-ups

Accepted sign-ups: celuthea, Cirrus, Spearow

My sign-up.
    Spoiler:

Celuthea's sign up.
    Spoiler:

Cirrus's sign up.
    Spoiler:

Spearow's sign-up.
    Spoiler:

Map

Spoiler:

Our heroes are currently at an unmarked town on a route just west of the Deep Dark Forest. Denn's capital, the destination, is at the mouth of a bay on the eastern side of the island, just past the rainforest and swamp.

Different wild Pokemon live in the southern and northern halves of the Deep Dark Forest. The division looks roughly like this:

South
    abra/kadabra
    ralts/kirlia
    slowpoke/slowbro
    hoothoot/noctowl
    stantler
    dustox
    venonat/venomoth

North
    poochyena/mightyena
    murkrow
    seedot/nuzleaf
    stunky
    duskull
    spinarak/ariados

Other Pokemon that are found throughout the forest:
    nincada (uncommon)
    tediursa/ursaring
    pachirisu
    paras/parasect
    turtwig (rare, in old growth areas)
    shroomish
    zigzagoon/linoone
    starly/staravia
    zangoose (uncommon)

The southern half is relatively flat. A trodden path winds through it, suitable for foot passengers and stagecoaches. Half way through the forest is a crossroads, where an unfinished road from the north meets the main route. The northern half is considerably more wild and hilly, with steep vertical drops, waterfalls, and no clear path.

Last edited:

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • Name: Marcus Levi

Personality: Marcus tends to be a terribly anxious person, and this has unfortunately come to be his primary characteristic as he has grown into a "man". Hopefully he still has a chance to gain confidence and relax a little as he ventures timidly into the world of adulthood, but for now he is still a stuttering worrywart anticipating the future with both hope and dread. He flips from optimism to pessimism with frightening speed, rarely pausing to land in the zone of realism in his constant, relentless analysis of possible outcomes of a given event. Also, as a result of his obsessive fretting, he is not much of a leader or a "doer" but rather ends up as the one watching things happen in front of him or following those with more available reserves of confidence than he.

On the plus side, he truly is a well-intentioned young man with a kind heart. He does make an effort to see the good in everybody, though that little nagging voice in the back of his head that reminds him of all the ways people could end up hurting him makes it difficult. Also, though he might not always exhibit the greatest common sense and has a tendency to overthink things he is a bright young man with a hunger for knowledge. At his best, he is earnest and sensitive, and at his worst he's pretty much a wreck plagued by indecisiveness and irrational fear.

Appearance: To summarize in a sentence, Marc is a tall, gangly, perpetually nervous-looking boy with dark eyes and a narrow face dominated by a long, slightly hooked nose. He couldn't exactly be described as fair, what with his features having something a bit darker about them and his skin usually maintaining a light tan. His lengthy, bony limbs are accentuated by his insistence on always wearing clothes that seem just on the verge of being too short. A typical ensemble for him would be a faded old corduroy blazer with patched elbows over a white work shirt, a pair of khakis and sensible, brown shoes. Basically, he dresses like a sixty-year-old man or someone from the early twentieth century. Perhaps his most distinctive feature is his thick mop of straight, dark brown hair. He tries to keep it subdued with frequent haircuts but it always somehow seems to have a disheveled, voluminous presence even when short. He wears a worn tweed flat cap to cover it, but strands of it usually peek out to just brush the tops of his ears.

History: Marcus' grandparents immigrated to Denn's capital city ((not sure where from? Are we using real-world continents or game continents or what?)) with the hopes of starting a successful jewelry business. Things got off to a bit of a rough start when Marcus' grandmother fell ill shortly after giving birth to their first child and soon died, leaving her husband struggling with grief and trying to survive in an inner city neighborhood that was vaguely hostile to foreigners with different habits and beliefs. So Marcus' father only enjoyed the sparse comforts of a single-parent, working class household growing up. With his father away for long shifts at various factory jobs, the boy used his time to study hard and eventually gained a scholarship to a nearby university. However, he wasn't interested in using knowledge to acclimate wealth for himself but rather to try and change things for the better - he soon became involved with a group of student revolutionaries. Some of them were interested in the environment, but their primary focus was overthrowing the dictatorship. They were ambitious but not violent, being young and idealistic pacifists at heart, and they operated mostly by distributing pamphlets, fly-papering posters throughout the city and generally trying to get information to the lower classes.

Eventually, despite their careful covering of tracks, one of their secret meetings was crashed by the police. In the ensuing chaos, Marcus' father was one of the few who managed to escape - but not without the emotional scarring of having seen some of his friends brutalized and killed before his very eyes. With the understanding that almost everyone he had known was either dead or in prison, and that the government possibly had his name on file as a dissident, he fled to the country to lie low for a while. There he met Marcus' mother, a native-born woman, while working as a hand on her parents' farm and eventually married her. They moved out to a little plot of land of their own, and it was here that Marcus was born.

Growing up he had less the average lifestyle of a farm boy, but was more influenced by his father's intellectual leanings. He ate up stories of the government's secret atrocities and of his father's youthful adventures in rebelling against them. His mother was worried; Marcus' dad seemed more and more restless by the day, still unsatisfied with the ongoing mistreatment of the lower classes and suppression of free speech. While Marc split his time between feeding the Miltanks and reading books, discontent grew in the hearts of both his parents. Then, one day when he was about eleven years old, he woke up to find his father gone and his mother, red-eyed and solemn, nursing a lone cup of coffee at the kitchen table.

His mother never was able (or willing) to tell him where his father went, and it haunted Marcus each day of his life. It did not interfere with his studies, however - he worked hard and applied and got into a college in the capital city. His mother was happy for him, although also a little bit worried about the chance of him connecting with his father again. He was determined to go and she decided that his higher education took precedence over the possibility of danger. She allowed Marcus to two of the farm Pokémon with him for protection, although they appear to be more suited for domestic life than fighting. Now he is prepared to journey to the big city, awaiting the possibility of discovering new things or uncovering past secrets.

Pokemon: Xavier the Xatu, lvl. 30, who was found an abandoned chick on the edge of their property and eventually raised into a wise and responsible sort of majordomo for the farm, and almost a surrogate father for Marcus. He has had little opportunity for battle in his life, but he is generally intelligent and could prove to have potential. (ATTACKS: Peck, Night Shade, Lucky Chant, Confuse Ray, Tailwind)

Malka the Purugly, lvl. 15, who just recently evolved and is still adapting to her new, somewhat less sleek body with ill temper. She has been a little spoiled up until now, but she also has a deep affection for Marc and a tenacious personality. (ATTACKS: Bite, Scratch, Fake Out, Hypnosis)

What you are travelling with: A leather satchel containing a couple textbooks on political science and Pokémon biology and some paper, pencils and other scholarly supplies. Also, a battered brown suitcase containing two hefty sacks of Pokéchow kibble, a mess kit, some pasta and rice, a few extra sets of clothing, a couple potions, toothbrush, toothpaste etc. You might wonder how a skinny boy like him can hold all that up - it's through sheer force of will. He carries his wallet in his jacket pocket, not that it has much cash in it.

Last edited:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • =D Accepted with a capital A! Glad to have you on board.

Are we using real-world continents or game continents or what?

I dunno, to be honest. Let's say real-world countries with a few exceptions. The USA exists. The UN probably does too. Denn's position on the globe hasn't been fixed, but it's south of the equator and fairly isolated from any continent.

They moved out to a little plot of land of their own...

Hmm... This sounds odd. I'm not sure why. One of the problems in Denn is that most of the land is owned by large multinational corporations or wealthy individuals. They produce cash crops for export while the peasants, who can't afford to buy land, live in misery. (I didn't put any of this in the overview, did I? Heh, heh.) Supposing Marc's parents did find some land up for sale, the soil would probably be rather poor...and they would have to work like the dickens, although since they are middle class they can afford tractors and the like. Which gets me to wondering, why is a middle class family choosing a rural lifestyle? Most people go to the cities, where they can (sometimes) find jobs.

Eh, it probably doesn't matter at this point.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • Thanks for accepting me! I'll try to put up an intro post as soon as I can.

Hmm... This sounds odd. I'm not sure why. One of the problems in Denn is that most of the land is owned by large multinational corporations or wealthy individuals. They produce cash crops for export while the peasants, who can't afford to buy land, live in misery. (I didn't put any of this in the overview, did I? Heh, heh.) Supposing Marc's parents did find some land up for sale, the soil would probably be rather poor...and they would have to work like the dickens, although since they are middle class they can afford tractors and the like.

Fair point. I was thinking of the farms as privately owned for some reason, but I guess this makes more sense. Should I change it or can we just go with the "they bought a really tiny, crappy corner of land" explanation?

Which gets me to wondering, why is a middle class family choosing a rural lifestyle? Most people go to the cities, where they can (sometimes) find jobs.

Well, the logic behind this one was that Marcus' dad is possibly being searched for by the police - he just thought it'd be safer to raise a family out where there's less people.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • j10ahz.png

Map gun! I hope a city being in the desert is okay. If not, switch them around, I guess. Is that a desert?

Gah, I need sleep. Less rambling, more work.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • I don't wanna be the super-pushy one who always harasses people to post or anything, but are we going in any particular order? Or can anyone post?

Basically what I'm trying to ask is, whose turn is it right now?

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • IDK, probably mine =). Although the reason I've been inactive is because I've got a Cold War essay to write, and I'm not even half done... =(

So, expect something tomorrow?

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • Oh no, it's cool! I didn't mean to rush you or anything, I was just wondering. Take your time. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back