• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Great Anti- HM Slave Idea

Years
  • Who hates HM moves?
    I DO!
    I NEVER use them for my team, but of course, I need HM Slaves to help me.
    But here's what I think they should do i nfuture Pokemon Games

Cut- There's no need to cut scrubs unless they're in your way. Leave scrubs out.
    Fly: Make a train of airplane that you can use to get to each city easy and fast.
    Surf: Same thing as Fly, but use a boat.
    Strength: Let the player be able to move the boulders by him/ herself.
    Defog: Leave the fog out.
    RockSmash: Leave the rocks out.
    Waterfall: Um, let the boat go up waterfalls.
    Rock Climb: let the player climb the rocks by him/ herself.

Just some ideas from your truly.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Some of those are pretty good ideas, but some of them are atmospheric, like the fog, boulders and trees. I agree having them in the middle of what is supposed to be a well used path is kinda stupid, but off to the sides is okay. the Waterfall at the e4 is kind of a gate thing. Sorta something to show you can actually deal with what's ahead. I'd keep that. One more... there couldn't be an airplane in some towns, like in the starting areas and obscure places like Celestic Town. Flying works like that.

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    Strengt-
    Humans may not actually be able to shift these boulders, soooo.
    Yea that's why there's strenght
    However i agree wih all the rest ^_^

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • At least that would mean that no swimmers would get pissed at me for riding my Pokemon...
    What if your character is really afraid of water? I mean, that would explain the "NO SWIM" thingy that has been bothering me for the past few.. years.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I don't agree with any of the ideas. xD

These things are there to make the game harder, and if we didn't have those HM's and had it easy-going, it wouldn't be as much fun to me. :\

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
  • I don't agree with any of the ideas. xD

These things are there to make the game harder, and if we didn't have those HM's and had it easy-going, it wouldn't be as much fun to me. :\
    So pressing A a grand total of one more time makes the game harder?

You need to play Battletoads.

HMs --> Key Items works better for some things, but Surf and Fly should be kept the way they are.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Well that is not what I meant. xD

What I meant was that if we didn't get those HM's, we would be able to cross over to Canalave City, go to the Galactic Hideout without using cut, etc. without beating the gym leaders and that's why the HM's are for a purpose. :)

It wouldn't be a purposeful game if that happened. :\

Last edited:

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Well that is not what I meant. xD

What I meant was that if we didn't get those HM's from the Gym leaders, we would be able to cross over to Canalave City, go to the Galactic Hideout without using cut from Gardenia etc.

It wouldn't be as much fun if we could do all that. :\

Not "not as much fun." HMs are implemented into the game as checkpoints. Notice how after beating a Gym, you get another HM? That's purposeful.

Of course, they could have made Rock Climb a tad bit more useful in battle...

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Well I do not want a space to be taken up by a move for progressing in the game but at the same time I do not want my Zelda with gloves to move boulders and an axe or something to cut down shrubs or a hammer to smash rocks to mix with my Pokemon my lovable creatures that are there to help you through the journey fighting or getting you through obstacles. Now if HM's became say special abilities for Pokemon that you may choose one to obtain when visiting a Gym Leader yes otherwise nope as I said I don't want my Zelda in my Pokemon.

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
  • Of course, they could have made Rock Climb a tad bit more useful in battle...

...Like making it a Rock-type move, for example? xDD
    Anyways, I think the checkpoints can be done in a proper way. Such as other people are suggesting, replace them with key items. Get them out of our move slots (and leave Surf be, please.)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I think items would be a good idea for some of these...like an axe or something to hack through the shrubs...a hammer to smash the rocks...a surfboard to cross water.
    A ten year old with an axe, a sledgehammer and surfboard.... Well first off it takes some strength and/or skill to use any of those.

You need to play Battletoads.
    XD

Did anyone else notice this? Because I lol'd heartily.
    Notice what, the word scrub? Scrub is low plants — bushes, small trees, tall grass et ceatera.

Last edited:

.FoX.

Blaine's Succesor
    Years
  • In my opinion, I think HM moves should be able to be forgotten like any other move when the pokemon learns a new attack. Why can't they be forgotten unless you go to the move deleter anyway? Because if you make your pokemon forget the move you could be stuck? (for example, Make the pokemon forget surf when your in the middle of a deserted islan) Well, this isn't a real problem because HM moves never run out. If you make your pokemon forget the move, just teach it to him again; your HMs wont run out. SO, there is no point in having HMs that cant be forgotten normally.

I think pokemon with HMs should be kept in the game. Forget substituting fly for a train, or surf with a boat. Interacting with the pokemon is a key part of pokemon games; HMs add to that experience. Just imagine, wouldn't you prefer to ride on the back of a pokemon instead of taking a boat? Which is more pokemon interaction oriented? HMs should stay, but they should be forgetable, just like any other move.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • In my opinion, I think HM moves should be able to be forgotten like any other move when the pokemon learns a new attack. Why can't they be forgotten unless you go to the move deleter anyway? Because if you make your pokemon forget the move you could be stuck? (for example, Make the pokemon forget surf when your in the middle of a deserted islan) Well, this isn't a real problem because HM moves never run out. If you make your pokemon forget the move, just teach it to him again; your HMs wont run out. SO, there is no point in having HMs that cant be forgotten normally.
    One problem with that is that if you are in such a place, and can easily delete HM moves like so - what if for whatever reason the player releases that Pokemon? Unlikely, yes, but that could end up with them stuck on an unsurfable island or so forth (especially if they didn't have any of the fishing rods either). They like to ensure that there is no way to have people stuck forever in a spot (look at the extents that they go to so that hackers won't explode the game, such as the ???-sprite of Arceus which outside of hax isn't possible), so I don't see them going against it in future games - although I agree that it would be nice to have them deletable.

HMs can be annoying at times, but I don't seem them going, nor that bad a thing either. They are, as mentioned before, used as checkpoint stuff - beat a gym, get the ability to use an HM! Many places though have barriers so that you can't get to them before you're meant to - some including stuff like Cut-able trees, or Boulders, etc. Some also allow for the classic puzzles they have, such as the Strength puzzles they have in games (such as Ice Path in GSC).

Besides, this is Pokemon, a game which you are some kid who uses Pokemon, not 'young-weightlifter-with-planes-and-strange-creatures' - if you can do all the stuff to get from point A to B, then what is the point of Pokemon and Gyms then, if they enable you to pass obstacles? And if one has to replace stuff with, say, replacing Fly with planes or trains or whatnot, or this:
    Waterfall: Um, let the boat go up waterfalls.
    ...yeah, HMs win out, IMO.

Vail

wah
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2014
    Well, I think it's annoying that you have to waste a spot on your Pokemon's movesets just so you can proceed in the game, or find an extra Elixir. But the solution isn't to get rid of the obstacles; they should just make the HM moves stronger so you don't feel like your Pokemon only has 2 or three useful attacks. xD

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Wow, totally great.

So how do you expect the boat to work? We make a good game stupidly easy (because swimmers aren't going to climb a boat to fight you) and no wild Pokémon either, and lose one of the best (if not THE) best water move in existance. S-m-r-a-t.

As bobandbill said, it's a Pokémon game where you are a normal ten-year-old kid, not Chuck Norris. Noone's going to be pushing boulders the size of themselves. >:|

The solution is not removal, it's upgrades. Like the one above said, increase their potential.

Back