• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales of Frustration (One Shot)

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
Years
  • Brock and Happini

in

"Tales of Frustration"

Somewhere in Pewter City, the city lights shone brightly as some of the denizens flitted among restaurants and theaters in search of entertainment, but in the residential areas, lights were going out as their occupants went to bed for the night. But in one particular house that stood by the Gym, the lights are still on, illuminating a crowd of children studying a group of teenagers on a TV screen, running through a forest. A Scyther like monster is not far behind. "We have to fight back!" a black haired boy interjects. "If we run, then the Dark Realm wins! We can't have them take over the city!"

"But how?" a silver haired girl gasps as the Scyther monster slashes down some trees, blocking any route for the two boys and three girls to escape. Their audience swallows hard, wondering if the teens will escape at all.

Finally, a brown haired boy jumps over one of the fallen trees! "Let's go, Pokemon 5!"

Some exciting music begins as we see the boy's hand glow green before we hear him say "Pokemon! Metamorphose!" as an image of a leaf appears on his glowing hand. But before the transformation can commence, the image of the boy disappears from the screen with a "CLICK!"

One of the boys looks to see an older boy with brown hair and tanned skin like him clutching the remote control. "Aw, Brock, I wanted to see Emerald Leaf transform!" he complains.

"I know, but look at what time it is." Brock explains, geturing to the clock on the wall, which reads 8:45 PM.

"Can't we stay up and finish 'Yes! Pokemon 5'?" a girl begs.

"Then you guys would be too tired to get up tomorrow, and you have school in the morning." Brock explains. "Besides, you'll be able to see what happened after school."

The girl is impressed. "It comes on during the day? Really?"

"The previous night's episode comes on at 3:30, not long after you guys get home from school." Brock explains. "Furthermore, I know better stories than what you see on TV."

"Like knights in shining armor?" a boy asks.

"Well...sort of." Brock confesses.

"Those are boring compared to the Pokemon 5." the boy smirks.

"If it weren't for some knights in shining armor, the Pokemon 5 wouldn't exist, Forest." Brock counters.

With Brock occupied, one of the children sneaks the TV remote away from Brock, flicks the TV back on and starts flipping through the channels, only stopping at the scene of a familiar silver haired boy dancing on a light filled stage--only he is not singing in English like the children expect!

"Is that Spanish?" the girl asks when she hears the line Mariposa de poder!

"It is!" Forest smiles when he sees the title of the show: "Mariposa y Las Alas"

"CLICK!" The TV is quickly returned to the weather report, then turned off. Es la hora de dormir. Brock sternly explains.

"Huh?" The children are confused.

"In other words, it's bedtime." Brock replies. "Now come on!"

The children are crowded around Brock's feet seconds later. "Tell us a story, Brock!" the girl begs.

"We're not tired yet!" Forest agrees.

"Oh all right..." Brock sighs. "Get ready for bed, and I'll tell you a story." The children reluctantly trudge to the bathroom and start washing up, buying time for Brock to clear a space around his favorite easy chair for the children to sit.

Some whining gets his attention, and he dashes over to a small wool bundle lying in a playpen. A pink humanoid creature is inside, whining a little as it wakes up. "You wanted a story too?" Brock smiles at the creature, making it laugh as it watches the children return, now in their pajamas. Once sure the children are settled, he begins "This one's called 'The Shiny Mermaid'...there was once a king who had, among other treasures, an enchanted tree in his garden..."

"Wait, what does royalty on land have to do with mermaids?" Forest interuppts.

"There's a mermaid in here, she just doesn't appear yet." Brock assures Forest before going on. "This tree managed to grow shining Leppa Berries every year, which were said to cure any sickness. Yet the king could not eat the shining Leppa Berries, because every year, they always were stolen just before they were ready for picking. Finally, he called together two of his sons and commanded them to prepare for a quest he was to give them. So the two princes went out and packed gold, silver, supplies for themselves and their servants..." Before he can go any farther, he gets bombarded by questions:

"What did the Leppa Berries look like?"

"What was the quest?"

"What did the princes look like?

"What did they pack besides gold and silver?"

Brock is having to restrain himself from having a major outburst, but each question is making it harder and harder to focus. "You know, I have an idea...let's start over." he suggests. "Only, this story's a little different..."

"Huh?" The children are interested.

"Rather than having a series of events that ties up at the end, each of the previous events in this tale build on each other, like links on a chain." Brock explains. "Plus, there's a little audience participation involved."

"Now we wanna hear the mermaid story!" a girl interjects.

"We'll save that for another night, we don't have time for that one now." Brock explains. "But anyway, this story's called 'The Pikachu Who Wouldn't Come Home for Dinner.'...there was once a woman that lived in the mountains--she had a son, and the son in turn had a Pikachu. However, this Pikachu didn't always obey her master--she would spend all day chasing Beautiflies, and would often refuse to come home with her master for dinner. So one evening, as the boy was searching for his Pikachu, he found her chasing Beautiflies in the fields, as she always did. The boy called to her..." He switches to a voice that sounds like Ash. "How much longer will you chase the Beautiflies? We must be getting home to supper now, and I'm hungry."

As himself, he continues. 'The Pikachu giggled and replied..." He switches to a high pitched female voice. "Why should I? The Beautiflies love to fly as much as I love to chase them!" The children laugh a little.

Brock returns to his Ash impression. "I'm telling Mom.." He returns to himself. "the boy replied. The Pikachu only said..." He switches to his Pikachu voice. "You do that, and I will continue with my chasing the Beautiflies."

"Uh oh..." Forest giggles.

"So the boy went and told his mother that his Pikachu again failed to listen to him..." Brock continues as himself. "and his mother replied..." He switches to an older female voice. "Go ask the Ninetales to nip her tail." As himself, he continues. "The boy went to the Ninetales and said to her..." He switches to his Ash voice again. "Ninetales, please give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, for my Pikachu won't come home with me, and I am hungry for my supper."

"And then?" a girl asks.

Brock replies as himself. "The Ninetales replied..." He switches to a vaguely Irish sounding female voice. "No, I won't spoil my teeth with something so small as a Pikachu." As himself, he continues. "So the boy returned and told his mother, and the mother replied..." He returns to his mother voice again. "Then ask the Mighyena to pull one of the Ninetales' tails, then." As himself, he goes on. "So the boy went to the Mightyena, and said to him..." He switches to his Ash voice. "Mightyena, please pull one of Ninetales' tails, for she won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." As himself, he continues. "The Mightyena replied..." and he switches to a deeper gravelly voice. "What, and risk having a curse laid on me? That isn't worth catching a Ninetales." He returns to himself. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the Ursaring to slay the Mightyena." As himself, he continues "So the boy went to the Ursaring and said to him..." He switches to his Ash voice again. "Ursaring, please slay the Mightyena, for he won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, for she won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." As himself, he continues. "The Ursaring replied..." "He switches to a slightly French sounding deep male voice. "Of course not, I don't want to dull my claws tussling with a Mightyena."

The children giggle some more as Brock goes on as himself. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask a hunter to shoot the Ursaring." As himself, he goes on. "So the boy went to the hunter and said to him..." He switches to his Ash voice again. "Sir, please shoot the Ursaring, for he won't slay the Mightyena, for he won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, for she won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." As himself, he continues. "The hunter laughed and replied 'Of course not, I'm not wasting my arrows on something as strong as an Ursaring.' So the boy went and told his mother, and she said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the tree to crush the hunter."

As himself, he goes on. "So the boy went to the tree, and said to it..." He switches to his Ash voice again. "Tree, please crush the hunter..."

"For he won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." the children join in as Brock lists the other characters.

Brock is surprised the kids have caught on. "You guys heard this one before?" he smiles.

"I've heard a version of it in school." a girl interjects.

"What else did the boy ask?" Forest is eager to know the next link in the story's chain.

"I'll tell you!" Brock replies before going on. "The tree replied..." He switches to a voice that sounds like Misty. "Of course not, I'm not breaking my branches to do that!" As himself, he continues. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the fire to burn the tree." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went to the fire, and said to it..." He switches to his Ash voice. "Fire, please burn the tree..."

"For it won't crush the hunter, who won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." the children join in as if on cue.

"Interesting game you have going..." Flint smiles as he passes by.

"Brock's telling us a story, Dad..." a girl explains. "We're listing the characters with him so we don't forget them later!"

"Well, just don't stay up too late." With that, Flint disappears down the hall.

Brock just continues without missing a beat. "The fire replied...." He switches to a deep Arabian style voice. "Of course not, I'm not burning out over a tree." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the water to put out the fire." He continues as himself. "So the boy went to the water, and said to it..." He switches to his Ash voice again. "Water, please put out the fire..."

"For it won't burn the tree, who won't crush the hunter, who won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." The children don't even need Brock to prompt them this time.

"Who wants to bet the boy asks the wind to stir up the water next?" a boy giggles.

Brock has other ideas. "The water replied..." He switches to a voice that sounds like Dawn. "Of course not, I'm not wasting myself for a fire." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the Tauros to drink the water." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went to the Tauros, and said to him..." He switches to his Ash voice. "Tauros, please drink the water..."

"For it won't put out the fire, who won't burn the tree, who won't crush the hunter, who won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." the children reply before Brock can even start listing.

"You guys are sharp!" Brock chuckles before continuing. "The Tauros replied..." He switches to a deeper version of himself. "Of course not, I'm not drinking until I burst." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the yoke to throttle the Tauros." He continues as himself. "So the boy went to the yoke, and said to it..." He switches to his Ash voice. "Yoke, please throttle the Tauros..."

"For it won't drink the water, who won't put out the fire, who won't burn the tree, who won't crush the hunter, who won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." reply the children.

Brock thinks about what sort of item he can add to the list next before continuing. "The yoke replied..." he switches to a voice that sounds like Flint. "Of course not, I'm not splitting myself for that." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the axe to cut up the yoke." He continues as himself. "So the boy went to the axe, and said to it..." He switches to his Ash voice. "Axe, please cut up the yoke..."

"For it won't throttle the Tauros, who won't drink the water, who won't put out the fire, who won't burn the tree, who won't crush the hunter, who won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." reply the children.

"This is fun!" a girl giggles.

Brock just continues. "The axe replied..." He switches to a voice that sounds like Max. "Of course not, I'm not dulling my blades for that." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the smithy to temper the axe." He continues as himself. "So the boy went to the smithy and said to him..." He switches to his Ash voice. "Sir, please temper the axe..."

"For it won't cut up the yoke, who won't throttle the Tauros, who won't drink the water, who won't put out the fire, who won't burn the tree, who won't crush the hunter, who won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." reply the children, who are starting to sound bored.

Brock takes the note of boredom as a sign the kids are about to go to sleep. "The smithy replied..." He switches to a voice that sounds like Gary. "Of course not, it's late, and I'm not warming the forge for that." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the rope to hang the smithy." The children groan--how many more items is Brock going to add to the list? "So the boy went to the rope, and said to it..." He switches to his Ash voice again. "Rope, please hang the smithy..."

"For he won't temper the axe, who won't cut up the yoke, who won't throttle the Tauros, who won't drink the water, who won't put out the fire, who won't burn the tree, who won't crush the hunter, who won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." sigh the older children--the sooner the story's over, the better.

Brock smiles when he sees some of the younger kids asleep at his feet. "The rope replied..." He switches to a voice that sounds like May. "Of course not, I'm not breaking in two for that." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the Rattata to chew on the rope." More groans fill the air.

"Is the story almost over?" a girl yawns.

"We still have one or two things left in the list." Brock assures the remaining children. "So the boy went to the Rattata, and said to her..." He switches to his Ash voice again. "Ratatta, please chew on the rope..."

"For it won't hang the smithy, who won't temper the axe, who won't cut up the yoke, who won't throttle the Tauros, who won't drink the water, who won't put out the fire, who won't burn the tree, who won't crush the hunter, who won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." comes the half mumbled reply.

"The Ratatta replied..." and Brock switches to a high pitched female voice. "Of course not, I'm not wearing my teeth down for that." As himself, he continues. "So the boy went and told his mother, who said to him..." He switches to his mother voice again. "Then ask the Persian to catch the Rattata."

"This had better be the last thing..." Forest yawns.

Brock just continues "So the boy went to the Persian and said to her..." He switches to his Ash voice. "Persian, please catch the Rattata..."

"For she won't chew on the rope, who won't hang the smithy, who won't temper the axe, who won't cut up the yoke, who won't throttle the Tauros, who won't drink the water, who won't put out the fire, who won't burn the tree, who won't crush the hunter, who won't shoot the Ursaring, who won't slay the Mightyena, who won't pull one of Ninetales' tails, who won't give my Pikachu a nip on the tail, and my Pikachu won't come home with me. I'm hungry and really want my supper." Forest and a few girls reply--most of Brock's audience is asleep by now.

"The Persian smiled and said to the boy..." Brock switches to a smooth female voice. "Of course, if you'll bring a little milk for my Meowths..." As himself, he continues. "The boy complied with this..." He sighs, ready to see if he can remember his own list. "and the Persian caught the Rattata, who chewed on the rope, who hung the smithy, who tempered the axe, who cut up the yoke, who throttled the Tauros, who drank the water, who put out the fire, who burnt the tree, who crushed the hunter, who shot the Ursaring, who slayed the Mightyena, who pulled one of Ninetales' tails, who gave the Pikachu a nip on the tail." Everyone wakes up and sleepily applauds, impressed that Brock remembered every item. "The Pikachu yelped in surprise, and ran all the way back to her master's house, where she didn't come out for the rest of that evening." Brock concludes. "After that, the Pikachu made sure to come to dinner every night...the end."

"YEAH!!!!!!!!" the children applaud, more out of relief then excitement. They get up, stretch, and troop off to their rooms. "Thanks, Brock, even if it was too long." they yawn. Brock looks at the clock and sighs when he sees it reading 10 PM. Maybe I should've stuck with that mermaid story..." he thinks as he takes a snoozing Happini to her room to sleep.

THE END

Back