• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

License?

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2009
I am planning on making a pokemon game via DarkGDK & C++.
However, I would like to learn more about getting an actual license, or "sneaking" around copyright issues.

I have a devoted team, and well, they want some-sort of payment.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
I don't see that happening. Ever.

Sorry, but you can't release any commercial games using Gamefreak's ideas (Pokemon, I mean). :/

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2009
I don't see that happening. Ever.

Sorry, but you can't release any commercial games using Gamerfreak's ideas (Pokemon, I mean). :/

Sorry, I don't know who GamerFreak is.
O well, I'll just find a way to sneak around copyright issues.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Gamefreak.

And you can't sneak around copyright issues, as it's simple, you use the idea for Pokemon in any game that isn't official for your own commercial gain and you'll find yourself in trouble. Plain and simple.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
A few years back, Gamefreak spoke about Pokemon fangames. They said something like as long as the game doesn't hold any Pokemon copyrights (e.g Pokemon themselves, pokeballs, etc) and doesn't use any of the graphics created by Gamefreak, then they are allowed to be sold commercially. But then its not really a Pokemon game is it :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
You know, selling your game isn't the only way to pay your team... If you're really dedicated, then you'd pay them out of your own pocket. Besides, why does your team demand payment? There are tons of people out there who would help out for free...

You could always try accepting donations... It's definitely a safer option than flat-out demanding people pay for your game, but I can't guarantee that Nintendo will be OK with that either.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2009
I am not actually selling it.
I am putting it up as a "free" online playable game. But players can buy items/pokemon/etc on the website. Mainly for server expenses.
This idea that I had was to get used to working with others, and managing a game. Since with all my time with C++, I worked alone.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Although the advice I'm going to give you is legal, I wouldn't really recommend it as you'd be served pretty fast.
If you wish to earn money for your game, put a donate button at the top of your website and ask players to donate money to help pay for the website's cost and don't actually say it's for the game- but imply to players it is a "If you like the game, throw me a fiver" lol.

Back