• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you have a tough time finishing the RBY games?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
  • It took me more than 5 times to finaly beat the E4 on my yellow and blue versions. Yellow gave me the hardest time.

So did you have a tough time beating the games? Or did you just sweep through it?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Umm...no? Yellow isn't bad at all since you can get all the starters. Yay for balance! And Red and Blue can be challenging if you don't train. Then you just get pummeled, unless you have items to back you up.

Ayselipera

To tell you the truth I've never finished RBY. When I first got my yellow version I was really young so I didn't have the slightest idea of a stradegy.

I had one Charizard that I leveled up to around the 60s and went into the Elite four like that. I made it as far as Lance. His Gyarados got me everytime. :(

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • When I was a kid, I found them challenging but I always beat it at the end. Something that has always stuck with me is arising to face a challenge and as a kid I loved having to find the next town or task to do. That has stuck with me throughout my whole life, just another thing pokemon really helped me in. These games will also stick with me forever, I will probably be telling my kids about it.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Yeah, I had a pretty tough time. It seems like my best Pokemon were always weak against the E4 elements.
    However, with a little help from MissingNo., I leveled a few of my Pokemon to level 100 and beat 'em.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Nope, I found the games to not be too challenging (well, Yellow was for a bit before I dumped Pikachu for a more worthy Pokemon). Hardest part was the level grinding for the E4, but if you have the patience, it makes them that much easier.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
  • I beat them and it was awesome. I had way more patience back then and I would level my pokemon up nicely.

Yellow was a cinch since you had all three starters plus Pikachu, who was always very useful for fighting Misty.

Tears In The Rain

Thirsty, purposeless Vampire
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    The first time I beat yellow, my very first game I actually ended up having my guy friend do it.
    Other than that no trouble, I learned to train properly.

Although in my silver I did have a hell of a time with the gym leaders Whitney and Claire.

Tori

just got sponsored
    Years
  • haha, the first time i tried to beat yellow i failed miserably. i had yellow version before even watching the series because i thought it was good and i never knew that brock was a rock leader. xD fail for me

Tears In The Rain

Thirsty, purposeless Vampire
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    Actually I just remembered, my problem in Yellow that first time was not actually the elite four themselves it was Gary at the end. :P

I liked Silver better when you battle your rival first.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    On my recent play through, I swept until the elite 4. My team entering was only

Ninetales lvl 41
    Gravler lvl 42
    Kadabra lvl 43
    Jolteon lvl 46
    Blastoise lvl 46
    Articuno lvl 53

The Fight with Gary was kind of hard, but with Mewtwo. Oh my god (I didn't use the Master Ball)

KennethXEcker

Consistently Average TCG Player Since '08
    Years
  • I started with Yellow, and at first, it was really really difficult getting past Brock....Rock>Electricity

after that, it was pretty easy though...

Years
  • I found out about Missingno.'s existance before i got to the Elite 4 the first time, and i had no scruples with cheating and glitch-abusing, so no, the Elite 4 didn't cause me any problems. So the only thing i always struggled with was Misty's Starmie, it always took eternally to beat it, Bubblebeam really liked to crit....

Back