• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do people think Espeon is a canine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightEspeon ♥!

Espeon is awesome!
Years
  • I think that's just silly! It's a cat. I don't know why but I don't like it being a canine or a fox :/.

Before you even say ears.
    Delcatty has those ears and eyes!
    So ha-ha-ha I win! xD

No actually. I think Delcatty has the same eyes as Glaceon on the artwork.
    Oh whatever!

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'v heard people debate that Umbreon isn't based off a jackal/fox/canine, but havne't seen people say Espeon isn't feline before.

It looks quite like a cat to me, but eh. Interestingly, it's supposedly possibly based on a few things:
    It appears to be based on legend of the nekomata, also known as bake-neko. Nekomata are mysterious two-tailed goblin cats. It can also resemble a carbuncle, a Latin-American mythological beast which had a jewel on its forehead. Its forked tail may also be related to its ability to see the different, forking paths of fate. It also bears some resemblance to the Fennec Fox, which are thinly-built foxes with small noses, narrow eyes, and large ears.
    From https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Espeon_(Pokémon)#Origin

Kirkland

show me my silver lining
    Years
  • I always thought it was a Cat. XD The tails, the face, it doesn't look like a dog or similar at all to me. :S

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • In appearance to a real life animal, Espeon is most close to a Simese Cat (atleast to me and my friends). How dare anyone refer to my wilil Espy as a canine =X She's too elegant to be a mangy mutt! *Goes off to brush Espy's fur*

Ayselipera

Maybe some people feel that way because a couple of the other eeveelutions have canine like traits and they associate that with Espeon. I've always seen it as your typical cat though.

Takoto

Illustrator
    Years
  • I always thought it was a cross between a domestic cat and a Fennec fox. Cat because of the body and tail (which is a reference to Nekomata) and Fennic Fox because of it's large ears.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I always thought it was a cross between a domestic cat and a Fennec fox. Cat because of the body and tail (which is a reference to Nekomata) and Fennic Fox because of it's large ears.

Same here. That's exactly what I always thought. Its body is more feline like, but its head and definitely ears are more fox like. Canines aren't just dogs or "mutts," people. Maybe my mind is just telling me that it's a fox because I prefer foxes to cats. Meh.

But all the Eeveelutions are pretty much based off of canines and felines, so I guess it's a draw. It's like the Legendary "Beasts/Dogs/Cats/Gerbils/whatever." Some people think they are based off of cats. Others say its dogs. I see traits of both animals in the Eeveelutions.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • It's like the Legendary "Beasts/Dogs/Cats/Gerbils/whatever."

Personally, I prefer the term "Legendary Beefs".

Topic-wise, I don't really understand how Espeon could look like anything but a cat to any sentient being in the multiverse.

seriously, what's up with forcing gems into the foreheads of cats though? D:

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • IMO, the reason Espeon is classified as a canine is because its pre-evolved form is canine. That doesn't make it on by any means.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2010
    In appearance to a real life animal, Espeon is most close to a Simese Cat (atleast to me and my friends). How dare anyone refer to my wilil Espy as a canine =X She's too elegant to be a mangy mutt! *Goes off to brush Espy's fur*

How dare you. I suggest you watch what you say. 'mangy mutt'? Eevee is a FOX. It therefore evolves into a FOX. Regardless of which evolution it is, they are all foxes. Deal with it, you 'mangy cat'.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I don't think it looks like a cat or a dog, it just looks like magical creature.

It looks like the Ruby Carbuncle GF from final fantasy VIII.

However, the guy who posted above me has a point. Aren't they all supposed to be foxes?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back