• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can MW2 run on my Acer?

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
  • Hi, I was wondering if Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 could run on my Acer Laptop.

The video card requirements

Code:
    Shader 3.0 or better 256 MB nVidia® GeForce™ 6600GT / ATI® Radeon™ 1600XT or better

My video card is:

Code:
    [B]ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics
    Up to 1408MB HyperMemory[/B]

I am not very good with video cards so I was wondering if it would run. I think it would be a waste of money if I bought it without knowing if it ran.

Thanks ^_^

Misaka Shiori

Irresistibly Cute
    Years
  • HD3200 from my knowledge is an integrated graphics card since it says "Hyper Memory." HyperMemory is not dedicated video RAM, it takes memory from your computer to store graphical stuff like textures and displays them onto the screen.

With such a card, don't expect for the game to play at full framerate (30 fps is a bare minimum without any choppyness). Also to note that laptop graphics card is NOT upgradable (there are some, but they are probably expensive to upgrade them.), so you are pretty much stuck with the GPU on the laptop unless you buy a new laptop.

Midrange cards like the Geforce 9600m GT from 2008 is a good example that will play the game rather smoothly (I don't know the latest midrange or high end cards for the recent GPUs).

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • HD3200 from my knowledge is an integrated graphics card since it says "Hyper Memory." HyperMemory is not dedicated video RAM, it takes memory from your computer to store graphical stuff like textures and displays them onto the screen.

With such a card, don't expect for the game to play at full framerate (30 fps is a bare minimum without any choppyness). Also to note that laptop graphics card is NOT upgradable (there are some, but they are probably expensive to upgrade them.), so you are pretty much stuck with the GPU on the laptop unless you buy a new laptop.

Midrange cards like the Geforce 9600m GT from 2008 is a good example that will play the game rather smoothly (I don't know the latest midrange or high end cards for the recent GPUs).
    Most Nvidia graphics cards in the past few years are just rebranded older models. Go with an ATI HD 5750/5770 if you want something good. 5750 should be about $150.
    Edit: oh, you're talking laptops. Laptop graphics are usually crap, but try to get one with a dedicated card.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yes, it will run it, but it will really struggle. It's marginally below the 1600, so you're really pushing it, but you should be able to run it on minimum detail with a low res. Higher resolutions are going to hurt due to the shared memory, therefore lower transfer times.

IE: If you want to get through the campain and have no console or other method, then yes, but if you want to play online or take it more seriously than a simple playthrough, then no way. I'd go with the console versions or get a cheap desktop with a half-decent card in it.

Basically, the card is newer than the recommended card, but it's still down a notch, performance-wise.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • Thanks for the comments everybody. It looks like I'm probably going to stick to my PS3 copy. I wanted the PC version for some modding.

Now, say I wanted to look into buying a new graphics card. How would I go about doing that?

Misaka Shiori

Irresistibly Cute
    Years
  • Thanks for the comments everybody. It looks like I'm probably going to stick to my PS3 copy. I wanted the PC version for some modding.

Now, say I wanted to look into buying a new graphics card. How would I go about doing that?

Like I have said before, Laptop GPUs are not upgradable unless they use MXM, which is not available on most consumer laptops except gaming laptops. This means you are pretty much stuck what you have since most of these GPUs are built onto the motherboard, making it impossible to upgrade to a new video card. If you had a Desktop, it would be easy to upgrade to another graphics card.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years

If you're talking about a laptop, you're probably out of luck. If you're talking about a desktop, just swap the old card for a new one. ATI Radeon 5770 is my recommendation.

Back