• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: To lower the problems

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I thought maybe if the mods/admins made it so that you had to register to view the HG/SS board PC wouldn't have so many problems because some people might leave if they find out they need to register thus lessening the traffic here at PC

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Just for the HG/SS boards? Despite being full of spammed, they are only probably a part of the problem. Traffic may be the problem, but it isn't in 1 place, but mostly all over (some very big hotspots though), and by forcing registration, it... Could help, but problems aren't too big at the moment... Are they?

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    We're going to get flooded with registration requests and spam and inactive members that way. It's going to make more problems than solve them. (Besides, we still have hidden boards)

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • You do realize that you're asking for the staff to do something that is against the public quota, don't you?

This isn't really a solution, all you will do is just 'force' them to register. I don't think much will change.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • No. PC won't force anyone to register just to view the forum / posts. ever.

the problem we experienced wasn't related to traffic, number of users online, number of guests online, or anything like that.

We had a DB table that got stuck.. (a post or query that was dropped, for whatever reason, half way thru its execution and this broke that particular table. normally this isn't a problem (it happens all the time in ANY database) as you just repair it thru the mysql repair feature.
    Since this table was
    a) an important one (postindex)
    b) very big (over 2GB)​
    It required way more resources then assigned to repair it. We had to change some configurations and run the repair multiple times to get it fully done.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Okay, I really thought postindex was a bit over 1GB. Wow, I really want to see the insides of PC, both server-wise and program-wise.

But, I agree, all sane forums never make anyone join for anything. Ever. (But you have to donate, still)

Back