• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Oh my god" or "Oh em gee"?

Years
  • We all know our internet slang and abbreviations. You can say OMG, LOL, IDK, IDGI, HDU, etc online as much as you like, but when you do speak it...do you pronounce the slang by its lettering or by its meaning?

Personally I never say "eye-dee-kay" when I type idk; would always say it as "I don't know", same goes for the rest...with the exception of lol where I sometimes say "Lawl" without meaning to, annnd my friends give me weird looks when that happens, yay!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I pronounce it how its supposed to be, although I don't use internet slang that much. I'd sometimes pronounce WTF as "wa-tf" just for lawlz.

PuNkSter

Typhlosion is on fire!
    Years
  • When on the internet, I sometimes use abbreviations mostly lol, idk, jk. When saying it, I say "I don't know", or "Just Kidding". For lol I have the urge to actually say lol... lol.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My dad and I go out of our way to "pronounce" weird license plates on our drive home from work. (Our favourite is still our mom's car, though--our BFTZ. ♥) So that naturally just translates into me trying to pronounce internet slang.

So rofl becomes roffle, lol becomes lawl, ilu becomes i-loo, etc. There are some I don't touch and just spell out the letters for though (idk, lmao, fml). And fewer still that I'll actually read out what they're the acronym of (gdi, ikr).

Alkaide

••» I hate my homework!
    Years
  • When I PRONOUNCE them I do say it's meaning, as many don't even get what I said~
    And as far as writing it is concerned I just write their abbreviations.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    More often then not I will completly spell them out. Abbreviating words like "laugh out loud" or "oh my god" to simpler lol and omg respectively is hand relief xD. Also maybe I abbreviate cuz I'm too lazy to type out the whole word :/.

Franceschi

a.k.a justin timberlake
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2015
    Aside from the occasional "FFFFFFFFF" or "FML", the only internet-acronym'd-slang I use is "tmi" and "lol". Usually because they suit the situation, but there have been times when they're the only words that comes to mind. Either way, they're the only ones I frequently use. Too many acronyms would make no sense if spoken irl. XD;

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I say it by it's abbreviation just like normal abbreviations. o.O It sounds weird, but, it's really not so... =3

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I have the tendency to actually pronounce the acronym out. Like "omg" is pronounced like "AWMG", "lol" comes out as "lawl", "lmao" comes out as "leMAU", "rofl" comes out as "roffle", and "wtf" comes out as..."WuthuF" XD

My brother and I have been doing this since I was a junior in high school, and it's a hard habit to try and break. :P

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I don't usually sound 'em out. I say their meaning directly, as in what the abbreviation is...in un-abbreviated form.

Of course I never say things like 'rofl' and 'lol' in real life. I try to avoid internet slang IRL unless I'm quoting what someone said online or making a reference to some internet meme that the listeners know.

Neurotripsy

前向きロケット団!
    Years
  • I say its meaning rather than the lettering, it sounds a bit stupid & awkward using internet slang IRL. Though I have slipped out a "lol" or two now & again. XD

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I never pronounce any slang according to how they're written. When I write 'OMG', I always mean and read it as 'Oh my goodness'.

Signomi said:
    Personally I never say "eye-dee-kay"
    You know, it took me five-six seconds to read and understand that. idk. xD;

Danikamakaze

★ D a n d a n
    Years
  • I usually say "Bee Tee Double U" on the odd occasion :B

I am a dork for saying "Lol" In real life a lot. OH I also say "I Are Elle" Sometimes too xD
    God, I should be shot.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
  • Well, I say 'Oh my gosh' in my head... Then I either type 'Oh my gosh' or OMG, and when I do I sometimes think 'OMG'.
    I sometimes say 'lulz' out loud. XD

Usually when I read them on the screen my brain pronounces them as I see them (eye-dee-kay, oh-em-gee) etc, but I usually pronounce them as their long forms.

I say 'et cetera' when I see 'etc' as well.
    xX

Ayselipera

I think it's fine when you write down the acronym such as rofl or lmao, but when people actually write them as they sound I find it a bit silly. Although I'll do it with irl friends online or over text just to be stupid.

When it comes to saying abbreviations out loud once again I'll only do it to be stupid with close friends. I use the term lawl and brb the most in conversation. I've always done it as a joke though and not to be meant seriously. I make sure of that. Especially after I met this girl from school who says lol out loud and means it. After hearing it from someone else I realized how stupid I sounded.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I say "lawl" and "ekss-dee" XD;
    Well..I'm just too lazy to say the whole word. But I never say "eye-dee-kay" in real life conversations. It sounds weird.

Back