• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is pokemon,a girl show or not?

StarGirl

sinnoh GF champion,Dawn
Years
  • if this not a girl show but why the girl can get replace by another girl not a boy

just like this

misty(kasumi) 1997-2002 [japan] and 1998-2003 [english]
    may (haruka) 2002-2006 [japan] and 2003-2007 [english]
    dawn (hikari) 2006-2010 [japan] and 2007-2011 [english]

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Uh, im pretty sure it's for anyone, boys, girls, hermaphrodites etc XD The boy (Ash) doesn't get replaced because hes the main, main character

Years
  • Yeah, wasn't Brock replaced for a while? Can't remember, but I'm sure they cycle through characters to keep up with the games new characters.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Yeah, wasn't Brock replaced for a while? Can't remember, but I'm sure they cycle through characters to keep up with the games new characters.
    Yeah, Tracey came in for a while there.

I'm a girl and I watched the show all the time. I was like, nine or ten when it was first airing so I don't think I looked too much into the characters. Even now I doubt it would bother me that much.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    No, it's obviously a manly show that only the manliest of men deserve to feast their eyes on because of the overwhelming manliness.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    I'd say its for a bit of both.
    The girls are kind of for both boys and girls.
    Ash is supposed to be so guys can be intrested in, girls too :P

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Actually, of course it's a girl show. Doesn't matter who gets replaced or not. Reminded me of a time in the library where this stupid woman was like, "Pokemon is for boys. Not girls." I was like, "Then I guess you don't consider me a girl then, cuz I've loved Pokemon all my life. Along with my other girl friends. So. Oops. Wrong." lol.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • No it is not a girls show. It is like any other anime just no fighting. I've been watching shows sense it first started airing in 1998.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    It belongs girls, all girls and only girls.

the boys only ruin it XD.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • It's for both.

Going back to another thread about Clefairy almost being the new pikachu, you can see there was a lot of stragedy involved to decide upon Pikachu. It appeases both the young male and female audiences, it's very cute and lovable whilst at the same time being very powerful and strong.

Also they'll always be a strong girl in the main trio, likewise the alternate sexes of Jessie & James, Butch & Cassidy etc.

Furtermore the addition of contests to bring balance to the more masculine pokemon battles.

Years
  • Pokemon started as a show targeted at younger boys. I'm sure many girls were interested in it too, for many reasons.

Later, the writers tried to make it more likeable for a wider audience. Namely, younger girls. They did this by introducing Contests. Ash couldn't enter in Contests because he was already explicitly a Pokemon Trainer, and Contests would A) divide his attention, and B) furthur alienate the female member. Contests didn't fit well with Misty's character, so they introduced May. This also gave attention to the fact that female trainers could do just as well as male, especially in their own division. (Because this show is aimed at younger boys and the main character can't be surpassed by a female.)

Not sure why Dawn was introduced. Fanservice?

So it started as a boy's show, and the writers later tried to adapt it for females.

As for why Ash isn't replaced, he represents the viewer. You're supposed to see the story from his eyes.

I <3 Pokemon

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Definitely for everyone example there are tough scary strong pokemon and cute adorable pokemon so I guess it's for everyone

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Only the manliest of men are willing to express their feminine side.

David Bauer III

Where is Your God?
    Years
  • I think it's favored by males but I think it's also a show females can enjoy. As far as replacing Ash with a female main character or even another male main character, it's never gonna happen. Ash is the anime.

Years
  • What?! How are the contests manly? Explain that, will ya?

Um...

Only the manliest of men are willing to express their feminine side.

What Jorah said. And I find the contests an interesting part of the series.

Uh, im pretty sure it's for anyone, boys, girls, hermaphrodites etc XD The boy (Ash) doesn't get replaced because hes the main, main character

This is the truth.

Back