• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

getting started with pokemon card game

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2010
    Hi there! My name is Derek and I am looking to get started playing the Pokemon Trading Card Game!

I have been looking for thee best way to get a lot of cards fast, and ALL of my friends said ebay. Do you guys have any suggestions? I am new on here, and any help you guys can give me, I would love!

I have looked been going through ebay ads and I have narrowed it down to these 2

ebay . com/Ultimate-Pokemon-Collection-924-Card-lot-MUST-SEE-/220648042188?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335fa5eecc

and

ebay . com/POKEMON-Card-Collection-over-700-Cards-Huge-lot-/230505182593?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ab2df581

If you guys could help, OR if you guys have any other suggestions, let me know :) Oh, I had to put spaces in there because they won't let me put up links :(

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    None of the cards in the photos for either of those listings are playable in the current format. If you just want to collect cards for fun or just plan on playing your friends at home and don't care about official rules, then go ahead. If you plan to play at a league or at tournaments, then you will have to get some newer cards than those, the ones in those listings are from the first era of Pokemon cards, way back in '97.
    If you're prepared to spend the kind of money those lots are listed for, then you may as well go for a few booster boxes from playable sets. The sets that are playable for this year until September 2011 are:

Diamond and Pearl: Majestic Dawn
    Diamond and Pearl: Legends Awakened
    Diamond and Pearl: Stormfront
    Platinum
    Platinum: Supreme Victors
    Platinum: Rising Rivals
    Platinum: Arceus
    HeartGold Soul Silver
    Unleashed
    Undaunted
    Any other sets that come out after these that havn't been announced yet.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2010
    I thought League was unlimited. At least to my knowledge it's been so around here. Of the Modded Legal sets though, I'd look at LA, PL, SF, HGSS, and UL. LA's got Uxie, Azelf, and some nice level X pokemon. PL has Broken Time Space, poketurn (if you rock a SP deck), SF has some decent cards in general, and UL has rare candy and some decent Primes. HGSS probably bears looking at too since it has the majority of the modded legal supporters other than Bebe's search, which is in RR.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Oh really? I've never been to a league where they allow unlimited decks, that would be great for me because I still want to play Gyarados but they're pretty uptight at my league about being modified. I would still avoid unlimited cards if I were you, just in case you do want to compete in tournaments because they will definitely not allow unlimited there, and you don't want to be stuck with an unusable deck. And Donavannj's right, old decks can't really compete with new ones anyway, they've gotten progressively stronger over the years.

Back