• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your fate in someone else's hands?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Sometime's we're put into situations where our "fate" - for lack of a better word - is put into the hands of another individual. A perfect example would be college admissions. You work hard throughout high school and send out applications that impact the rest of your life, and the next step of your life is determined by people you don't even know.

How do you feel about putting decisions regarding you in the hands of someone else? Does it make you uncomfortable, or is it something that you've grown accustom to?

Years
  • If this is a must and when it would help me in my future, then I don't mind giving my fate to someone else's hands. But when I know, that I don't have to do this and it definitely wouldn't help me in my future, then I just refuse.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I feel very uncomfortable. Thats why I tend to all my group things by myself. o.o

Bologna

One might call me "hip"
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2014
    How do you feel about putting decisions regarding you in the hands of someone else? Does it make you uncomfortable, or is it something that you've grown accustom to?
    I like having control of my own life, so putting decisions regarding me in another person's hands is something I'm not very comfortable with, but I guess it does happen and I just have to hope for the best.

But I think most of the time, everyone still holds a little bit of control of themselves. For example, yeah it is put on others to accept you into college, but you controlled how hard you worked in the years leading up to it. If you decide not to work hard throughout high school and just slack off, then that's the path you chose, same if you chose to work hard. So everyone controls their own efforts to put themselves in the best position possible, in that example at least. Yeah, you still might not get accepted to the place you wanted to go to, but at least you know that you did everything in your own ability.

I don't know.. knowing that makes me comfortable with those kind of things. But I'm sure there are other cases where my fate is in the hands of someone else, and I might not have control over the outcome. And, yeah... I don't really like that.

Years
  • I'm the kind of person that doesn't usually mind. It seems like all the big decisions about my life after high school have been made by other people instead of myself. I mean, I guess I agreed with them, in the long run, but I basically took their suggestions instead of going with what I had planned. At that point, it feels like I've let them take my fate into their hands.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd done better if I'd just done what I wanted instead of what other people wanted. Because due to my idiocy things aren't as good as they should be. On the other hand, though, how great were my plans to begin with? :/

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I don't mind, usually. When it comes to important decisions, though, I'm the one who usually decides.

Back