• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rundown on how games are coded?

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2012
    (Forgive me if this is the wrong section- But I didn't see any boards that were for questions for game development.)

Could someone briefly describe on how sprites, backgrounds, and storylines and tied together and made into an actual game? Just typically how the game is coded- Is it a language like actionscript (If so what scripting style), or a template like RPGMaker?

Thanks for any help! :)
    -Josh

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • A large majority of us here use RPG Maker XP with the Pokemon Essentials Starter kit. It's not the only one out there, and some members here use other programs (like Game Maker for instance).

There's a new DS-styled RPG Maker XP project out, though it's in French... but it's got the two screen setup, those crisp graphics, and much more. It's possible to work with it though and still make a great game :D

Just google PSPDS (Pokemon Script Project DS)

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
    Years
  • I started my project with PSPds with the "Nintendo Ds" setup and almost everything was missing, such as Mouse control etc. It is a good base for a game but so much is missing from it. If you could get some help then you could be good to go!

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Is it a language like actionscript (If so what scripting style), or a template like RPGMaker?

Pokémon essentials is the most accurate and complete representation for a Pokémon engine out there. It does use RPGMaker XP for the basic things: Map making, event placement, etc. But all of the more sophisticated stuff such as the battle system and etc. is don't within the essentials engine using a programming language called ruby... And I guess Ruby could be considered actionscript basically, however it is far more powerful and complex.

So, short answer: It uses both.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2012
    Okay. Thank you for the helpful replies Meowth, tylerab01, and Icegod64!

Are their any begginer tutorials for using RPG Maker X or Pokemon Essntials to make a game?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Okay. Thank you for the helpful replies Meowth, tylerab01, and Icegod64!

Are their any begginer tutorials for using RPG Maker X or Pokemon Essntials to make a game?
    Not that I know of, but RPGMaker XP is incredibly, INCREDIBLY simple to use if you just explore a little.

As for doing things essentials related, most things have pretty intuitive examples. Almost anything else can be found on the Wiki.

Back