• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Basic/Jungle/Fossil Pokemon Card Questions

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2010
    Whats up everyone?

Ive been wanting to start collecting the pokemon cards i use to have as a kid again. I use to have complete sets of the fossil, basic, and jungle sets but i think i gave them away : (.

Anyways, now that im looking to buy them again, i have a few questions.

1) What does "pre ex" mean? i see on some ebay listings "complete basic set: pre ex charizard". Does this mean cards released in a certain time frame?

2) How many cards are in the following sets?
    -Fossil
    -Basic
    -Jungle
    -Team Rocket

Thanks guys,

Corey

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I would normally move this thread to the Pokemon Trading Card Game section, however it looks like your question has already been answered in the post above mine so there is no need to keep this open.

After your message confirming that your question wasn't answered, I'll move this over to the Pokemon Trading Card Game section and re-open the thread.

Opened and moved

Last edited:
    Years
  • 1. Pre ex means that it came before the sets that had ex cards, I think. Which doesn't really clarify anything in the case of Charizard because there were a couple different Charizard cards before the first set that included Pokemon ex cards, which was ex: Ruby & Sapphire, which was released in 2003. They presumably mean the "Base Set", though, which did not have any set symbol.

2. Base (Basic) Set had 102 in the set for the collector's number. Though the "unlimited" (meaning not first edition) print run lacked the Machamp card in that run for some reason.

Fossil had 62 cards in it in English. No difference in the number of cards in the unlimited run versus the first edition run.

Jungle had 64 cards. No difference between first edition and unlimited here, either.

Team Rocket had... 82 cards, and a "secret rare" card. I think it was Dark Raichu, which was numbered 83/82.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2010
    well i assumed it meant before ex cards but what are ex cards? how can i tell on ebay if the complete is pre ex or not?

I also know you can still buy the basic booster packs today. Now are those the same cards that came out 10 years ago ? or are they going to be dated like 2010?

Sorry if these are n00b questions but im completely clueless and dont want to buy cards that arent really worth much.

Thanks!

Corey

Years
  • well i assumed it meant before ex cards but what are ex cards? how can i tell on ebay if the complete is pre ex or not?

I also know you can still buy the basic booster packs today. Now are those the same cards that came out 10 years ago ? or are they going to be dated like 2010?

Sorry if these are n00b questions but im completely clueless and dont want to buy cards that arent really worth much.

Thanks!

Corey

Pokemon ex description.

Well, they stopped printing sets like the Base Set long ago, because, among other reasons, Wizards of the Coast lost the rights to print the sets. Nintendo only prints the 4 most recent sets. So, the Base Set cards would be the same cards from 10 years ago, and were printed 10 years ago. The current sets are HGSS, HGSS Unleashed, HGSS Undaunted, and HGSS Triumphant, and tournament legal cards are found in sets as old as Majestic Dawn.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2010
    Thank you very much! Seems like bulbapedia is the place to go if i need to know anything about pokemon haha.

So pretty much what your saying is all basic, jungle, fossil, and team rocket sets are "pre ex"?

Thanks again

Corey

Years
  • Yeah. Any set released before EX: Ruby & Sapphire was released (which was in 2003 at some point) is probably a pre ex set.

Bulbapedia's got a lot of information, but, if you to see what a card looks like, PokeBeach has the best scans I've seen around, so you can get a closer look and better idea of what a card should look like.

Back