• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Son wants me to buy him this pokemon card set help!

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    Hey all!

I really don't know about Pokemon at all. My son wants me to buy him this set:

Ebay Item number:180619427132

Is it a good starter set for the price?

DJ Surge-N

Can I get a Spinda?
    Years
  • Hi there, Anna.

I've just had a look at the auction for you, and I've read the description and everything. I actually think that's a very good selection of cards to boost/begin one's collection, and considering that everything is in near mint-excellent condition, according to the seller, I think that the starting price is more than reasonables, as generally holographic cards go from as low as US$2-3 right up to a whopping $20-25 for the more extreme, rare cards.

I think in this case, there are also reverse holo cards (ones that are also quite rare, but not as rare as window-holographic (i.e. normal holographic) cards). But 90 holographics in all sounds like a very good start.

In booster boxes, you very rarely get over 12-16 holos in a box, so this is definitely worthwhile :)

Hope this helps you!

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    Wow thank you very much! He seems to think its great but since I didn't know about these things I couldn't be sure. I am going to watch it for now and see if it stays at this price.

Hi there, Anna.

I've just had a look at the auction for you, and I've read the description and everything. I actually think that's a very good selection of cards to boost/begin one's collection, and considering that everything is in near mint-excellent condition, according to the seller, I think that the starting price is more than reasonables, as generally holographic cards go from as low as US$2-3 right up to a whopping $20-25 for the more extreme, rare cards.

I think in this case, there are also reverse holo cards (ones that are also quite rare, but not as rare as window-holographic (i.e. normal holographic) cards). But 90 holographics in all sounds like a very good start.

In booster boxes, you very rarely get over 12-16 holos in a box, so this is definitely worthwhile :)

Hope this helps you!

Years
  • It looks very much like a good start for a collection. There is a lack of supporter cards it seems, which are pretty vital to having a really good deck at tournaments, but there looks like there are enough to build a good deck for playing with his friends. It's a very good bargain for the price it's at right now.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    It looks very much like a good start for a collection. There is a lack of supporter cards it seems, which are pretty vital to having a really good deck at tournaments, but there looks like there are enough to build a good deck for playing with his friends. It's a very good bargain for the price it's at right now.

Oh no maybe I can add supporter cards by buying some booster packs?

Years
  • Oh no maybe I can add supporter cards by buying some booster packs?

Booster packs will have some, yes, but your son is better off building a deck he likes and then doing some research into which sets have the supporters he wants/needs for his deck if he really wants to do tournaments, and then buying boosters from those sets or trading for them. Finding an official Organized Play league near you would really help him with his collection because there are usually people there with extra Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums who would be willing to either give them away or trade them away for other cards.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    If you can get it at the price you bid, then yes that would be a great deal. Just from looking at the thumbnail images I can see some good things, like the holo water energy and the cyrus' conspiracy mentioned in the description. If your son just wants a bunch of cool cards to look at and play with then this is great, but if he is planning to make a deck to take to tournaments then keep in mind that these cards are too old for that. Still, that's a great price for all of those cards.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    Someone else bid on it so I'm going to try and snipe it at the end. Can someone PM me what the highest price they think I should put?

LowlyGent

Bangin' on Fools
    Years
  • seems like buying huge sets like that takes the fun out of collecting. at least it would have for me when i was younger, or is he more into playing the game than collecting?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    seems like buying huge sets like that takes the fun out of collecting. at least it would have for me when i was younger, or is he more into playing the game than collecting?
    Well he want's the card more for collecting. Sadly we didn't win it but ended up buying some at a local card store.

Years
  • seems like buying huge sets like that takes the fun out of collecting. at least it would have for me when i was younger, or is he more into playing the game than collecting?

I personally don't think it does, since it likely would contain some hard to find cards from sets that aren't printed anymore and most of the boosters for those sets are likely stocked up in some re-seller's warehouse and they'd likely be marked up a fair bit.

piecemeal

On An Adventure
    Years
  • I personally don't think it does, since it likely would contain some hard to find cards from sets that aren't printed anymore and most of the boosters for those sets are likely stocked up in some re-seller's warehouse and they'd likely be marked up a fair bit.

I agree. Getting a large lot in the mail and filling in a chunk of the collection at once is exceptionally fun, and the chance to do it goes away fast once you get most of the commons/uncommons.

Back