• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark Topic

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
Years
Dark type Pokemon came about in Generation II. And as of Generation V there are 39 Dark type Pokemon. My question is what are some of your favorite dark type, and can you make a "good" team of dark Pokemon that can take on any challenge?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Since I love a lot of Dark types I will go with Full Dark, First Typing Dark, and Secondary Dark.

Pure Dark: Umbreon - This one is my favorite Eeveelution. And you know who has a Umbreon GARY OAK! So what is not to like about Umbreon.

First Type Dark: Bisharp - What's not to like about a badass Knight Kamenrider pokemon. He is my favorite 5th Gen pokemon as of now.

Secondary Dark Type" Tyranitar - <3 Ty is my favorite Dark type, and one of my favorite pokemon period. Yet another great Gen 2 pokemon.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Dark-types are wonderful. If I were to put together a team of them...

Mightyena, Weavile, Sharpedo, Cacturne, Crawdaunt, Krookodile.

Those also happen to be my favorites <3

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Umbreon, Mightyena, and Scraggy are my favorite Dark type Pokemon out of them all. I wouldn't think a monoDark team would be good competitively, but for fun fight between friends I think it would do good.

Gunn

horror resident
Years
I love Murkrow; I see it as the perfect Dark/Flying-type Pokemon. *shrug* That's just me. I just like Pokemon that have that instant decisive moment when determining it's type. You can just tell what it is immediately.

I'll add Houndoom here as well, and as for the good Dark team question, well, I dunno. D: I imagine that would take a lot of strategical plotting.

Years
Dark type Pokemon are awesome. Dark is one of my favorite types. My favorite Dark type Pokemon are Zoroark,Umbreon,Mightyena,Weavile,Absol,Scrafty,Bisharp and Honchkrow! They are all awesome!

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
Years
My all time favorite since Gen II has always been Umbreon. But I've grown to like a number of dark types and their evolutions over the years; Houndour, Poochyena, Skorupi... and I'm pretty okay with all the dark types, to be honest. xD I'm also the type of person who likes Tyranitar, not because of power, but because of how much I liked Larvitar as a kid. :3

If I were making a team, I wouldn't go for all-out power, because I don't play seriously. So Umbreon, Houndoom, Drapion, and Honchkrow would be some of the ones I use. I'm still learning the new Gen V Pokemon, but I love dark types~

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Monotype teams are always fun to construct, but the biggest challenge is to find ways to cover your weaknesses...in this case find ways to shut down any powerful fighting attack the opponent might have. Honchkrow and Spiritomb make good choices because their typing either neutralizes or nullifies fighting-type attacks. You also can't depend entirely on STAB attacks in case you run into things that resist dark like steels, fightings, and other darks

I'd say play around with different options, but a good team to start with would probably be:
Honchkrow, Spiritomb, Houndoom, Cacturne, Sharpedo, Tyranitar.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Absol grabbed my fancy for a dark-specified pokemon for a while! :3

I like Absol because I love its ability: super luck, along side the moveset I normally use: Psycho Cut, Stone Edge, Night Slash, and maybe Super Power. It has a REEEEEEAAALLY good chance of getting critical hits, not to mention its attack stat is awesome. <3 I also like the designthey did with its head, because its head resembles a Yin-Yang.

For a dark team, maybe I'd use:

Spritomb, Absol, Drapion, Skunktank, Mandibuzz, and Hydrigeon?

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
houndoom and absol all day. There freaking epic

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Ooh, mono-teams! Although I'd never really use one in real life, this is one of the few areas where I let my hypothetical mind run riot! To answer the first part of the question, my favourite Dark type is Houndoom: I imagine it as simply a one-headed Cerberus straight from the gates of hell ready to wreak its vengeance upon all who oppose it. Plus it's co CUTE to look at: reminds me of my dog back home!

As for my super cool/totally awesome mono-team, they'd go a little something like this:
Houndoom: Mainly for sentimental reasons, but it also hits hard with its fiery attacks, and is kinda quick
Tyranitar: Physical powerhouse whose Sandstorm can leave certain critters in tears
Hydreigon: The special powerhouse who, upon looking at Bulbapedia, is veeeery hard to take down
Spiritomb: No. F'n. Weaknesses. Sure, it's slow as hell, but it can destroy all the Fighting types that would have their way with most of this team
Sharpedo: A water Pokemon seems obligatory due to its wide coverage, and I prefer Sharpy to Crawdaunt
Absol
: More to make up the numbers than due to any real affection for it; it feels necessary to have at least one monotype, and this is the lesser of lots of evils.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
Gen V made me appreciate and even like Dark-types a whole lot more than I did before. Not that I didn't like them before, I just never saw them as too valuable to my party. I really like Scraggy/Scrafty, the Sandile line, and Bisharp from Gen V. I'm also a fan of Umbreon and Spiritomb (no weaknesses!).

Well, since I named six five Pokémon there, I guess that would be my party if I were doing a Dark-type mono team. Not a good team by any means but they're my favourites so whatever. :'D The sixth slot could go to Absol or something, I guess.

Last edited:
Years
Umbreon and Houndoom are my favourites :cool:

My team would be:

Umbreon
Houndoom
Sneasel
Absol
Honchkrow
Hydreigon

or any of the following as alternatives to the last three lol :)

Mightyena, Sharpedo, Krookodile and Liepard

Back