• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Kian's New Sprite Thread~

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
Years
  • Well I have Asked for help from a Spriter, to give me advice on my spriting and he suggested That i should make a pixel art thread, to get more advice from other Spriters.
    I had one before but it died :D..
    Rules

• All PC Rules apply.
    • Please ask for use for my sprites, not that many of you would.
    • Constructive criticism please.

Well here they are;

Almost Finished Sprites;

Spoiler:

Most of these are from my Previous thread, Really rather old.

Now for me W.I.P Fakemon, (No Colour);

Spoiler:

Well these are hugely basic, wanted to put these on the thread, to show more of what i do, even if there is no real colour, or shading on them, just idea's/ concepts for me to work on.

Revamps;
    Spoiler:

Constructive criticism please..? :D

~Thank-You

~Kian

Last edited:

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    on the ralts fakemon, you should move the eyes to the head instead of the ears. it might look better. anyways, they are good. better than mine.

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
  • I can't see your sprites here, but I can see them in your album.
    I can't really say "weird" cause I have the same problem in my thread. xD
    I don't really know how to fix it, so if I crit, I might not be critting the right sprite. xD

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • on the ralts fakemon, you should move the eyes to the head instead of the ears. it might look better. anyways, they are good. better than mine.

Ah well, i wanted to add the eyes on the side, they are supposed to be little creatures (sort of thing).. they have mouths and everything, but i will agree the sprite does need editing.

I can't see your sprites here, but I can see them in your album.
    I can't really say "weird" cause I have the same problem in my thread. xD
    I don't really know how to fix it, so if I crit, I might not be critting the right sprite. xD

Well, Thanks for taking a look and trying anyway.. I hope others don't have the same problem although that would explain that lack of replies..
    They're the same in my album.. :)
    If anyone else has the problem please tell me so i can fix that.. :D

Right well Here is a new update, well sort of update, just to the W.I.P fakemon..

picture.php

It started off as a Trapinch alternative evo, and well I wanted to change it, i added a sort of fin sort of thing, like on Mudkip and it's evo's, or like a fish :D..
    I hope people can actually see it.
    Please need some more criticism from you spriter's out there..

~Kian

Years
  • I can see them.

One thing you should do for almost all of your sprites is use some black (or near black) outlines on the shaded side. Aside from that being the 'standard' for pokemon sprites, it means that when you use black for the eyes they won't stand out as being darker than everything else on the sprite.

The shapes and linework are pretty nice, though you tend toward more rounded, smoother designs. I don't mean necessarily blobby shapes, but a lot of the arms and legs on your sprites are wider in the middle. To me, that gives them a cuter look, but I think some of them could use more defined shapes. You know, like ones that show knees/elbows and other joints, or maybe some texture like fur or scales or something like that. A little more variety in how you apply color and patterns would give your sprites something more... special. Lemme explain. Ones like your steel dinosaur have better overall color because the head isn't a single color. The two colors together help define the shape of the head by showing you were the top is and where the bottom is quite easily. Not all sprites need that, of course, but it's something to keep in mind.

You should also try experimenting making other kinds of eyes. Nothing wrong with the black-eye-with-white-center, but, well, you have a lot of that already.

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • I can see them.

One thing you should do for almost all of your sprites is use some black (or near black) outlines on the shaded side. Aside from that being the 'standard' for pokemon sprites, it means that when you use black for the eyes they won't stand out as being darker than everything else on the sprite.

The shapes and linework are pretty nice, though you tend toward more rounded, smoother designs. I don't mean necessarily blobby shapes, but a lot of the arms and legs on your sprites are wider in the middle. To me, that gives them a cuter look, but I think some of them could use more defined shapes. You know, like ones that show knees/elbows and other joints, or maybe some texture like fur or scales or something like that. A little more variety in how you apply color and patterns would give your sprites something more... special. Lemme explain. Ones like your steel dinosaur have better overall color because the head isn't a single color. The two colors together help define the shape of the head by showing you were the top is and where the bottom is quite easily. Not all sprites need that, of course, but it's something to keep in mind.

You should also try experimenting making other kinds of eyes. Nothing wrong with the black-eye-with-white-center, but, well, you have a lot of that already.

Oh phew glad most people can see them.. :)

Well thank-you for the criticism I agree with everything you have said, i have always had trouble making my sprites different by adding more features like Fur etc. and I always seem to create sprites with the same legs, and arms, for example the W.I.P sprite i just posted, i don't know how to make legs, elbows Etc. Need some help in that department.
    I will try to add fur and other Animalistic designs in my future sprites or add some to my sprites i have already made..
    (Animalistic is not in the dictionary so thought i word make up that word, hope you know what I mean)
    Thanks again for the criticism. I have seen your thread, i know you know what you are talking about. :)

~Kian

tnguye3

Years
  • Your sprites aim largely for the "round" edges, making most of your work largely ovular - not that it's bad, but you should clean up some lineart for instance the Dino Fakemon Boruku's top of the head has an unclean line, as well as its lower part of the body, the lines should be 1 pixel thin.
    You need to also work on the poses as they all seem to stand at a profile angle.
    The shading also looks like it needs some work, as it largely seems rough, (referring to Saluchomp, not sure if it's on this thread but i geuss u know what im talking about) and the shades are in the wrong places.
    keep in mind that the light source is from the top left (altho most of the other sprites have their shades correctly placed their shapes of the shades are too wobbly).

The designs are also very simplistic, of course everyone have their own tastes when it comes to design but adding distinctive features to your fakemon may make them more unique.

As Scarf mentioned, you could alter the eyes and also make more use of the "black" outline which all Pokemon sprites have.

I tried to recreate one of your sprites here:
    picture.php

Notice the light source and how the shades are layed out - as well as the lineart.
    Lighter shades are closer to the light source, while the black outline is located usually at the rear of the sprite or where the light doesn't reach aka under the fin/hand(?)
    btw Blue: Light
    Red: Dark

Also by adding simple patterns like rings or circles and adding more colors to the palette, you can make your sprites more lively and "Pokemonish". :3

Hope that helped! ^_^

Last edited:

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • Your sprites aim largely for the "round" edges, making most of your work largely ovular - not that it's bad, but you should clean up some lineart for instance the Dino Fakemon Boruku's top of the head has an unclean line, as well as its lower part of the body, the lines should be 1 pixel thin.
    You need to also work on the poses as they all seem to stand at a profile angle.
    The shading also looks like it needs some work, as it largely seems rough, (referring to Saluchomp, not sure if it's on this thread but i geuss u know what im talking about) and the shades are in the wrong places.
    keep in mind that the light source is from the top left (altho most of the other sprites have their shades correctly placed their shapes of the shades are too wobbly).

The designs are also very simplistic, of course everyone have their own tastes when it comes to design but adding distinctive features to your fakemon may make them more unique.

As Scarf mentioned, you could alter the eyes and also make more use of the "black" outline which all Pokemon sprites have.

I tried to recreate one of your sprites here:
    picture.php

Notice the light source and how the shades are layed out - as well as the lineart.
    Lighter shades are closer to the light source, while the black outline is located usually at the rear of the sprite or where the light doesn't reach aka under the fin/hand(?)
    btw Blue: Light
    Red: Dark

Also by adding simple patterns like rings or circles and adding more colors to the palette, you can make your sprites more lively and "Pokemonish". :3

Hope that helped! ^_^

Thank-you very much, i will try to add more colours and features to my sprites.
    Your sprite that you made looks outstanding and made my sprite look like it was made by a toddler.. :D, you are very good.
    I will try to make my sprites less simple as you said.
    Again thank-you for the criticism.
    Why don't you add your sprite to your thread, it looks amazing..

Right now i have the advice i will have to try to put this into practice.. /':, It's gonna be rather hard.

tnguye3

Years
  • Good luck, practise makes perfect! :>

I will post it in my thread later as it's like 2am now, and that sprite is yours to keep btw. ;)

Valora17

Something Memorable?
    Years
  • I think one of your main problems, from what I can see, is that you don't find the light source. Tnguye touched on this and did a really good job so I wont repeat, but then I also feel like your outlines are very rough and sharp. Ie: Your WIP have doubled pixeled outlines instead of single pixel, which I assume you already know how to fix. but then I also see that a lot of your sprites don't seem to have an internal bone structur to them. I don't see many joints in their anatomy, and you definitely want to keep that in mind for the fakemon that are actually physical bodies; ghosts is a bit more difficult.

As far as bubbles go, my trick to use a color about 4-5 shades lighter than the base color for a very small highlight, and then surround that highlight with a slighter darker shade, closer to the base, to make it meld into the sprite more. I hope that helps some in the future.

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • Minor Update/Bump:

picture.php

My terrible attempt at a revamp of Sandslash; I loved this sprite ever since I first played Pokemon Yellow.
    Sorry this thread is inactive, exam season and all that, I will add more when I have more to show.

picture.php

Also added colour to the first W.I.P version of this, and some extra designing.
    I have also added a Pre-evo; (With terrible shading :P)
    I know it's outline hasn't been finished but ill leave it as that for now.

~Thank-you
    ~Kian

Last edited:

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • Still no replies..?

picture.php
    -->
    picture.php

(Evo)

The sprite is rather big. But'cha get the idea.
    I will add metal spikes and other distinctive parts when I add colours.

~Kian

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    There are some great ideas you've got, my only problems I have with your scratch sprites is that you need to work one the structures of your sprites, they seem a little blobby (bad description), maybe you need to take a look more into the game sprites. Also, you should take into account what Scarf said, you need to use black outline. Like you did with this sprite:
    picture.php

The black outline on parts around the shading make them look much more like Pokémon sprites.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
    Years
  • picture.php

Also added colour to the first W.I.P version of this, and some extra designing.
    I have also added a Pre-evo; (With terrible shading :P)
    I know it's outline hasn't been finished but ill leave it as that for now.

~Thank-you
    ~Kian

Sandlash looked awesome,you deser a yeah! for that.

But you should make the evolutions a little more different.The pre evo looks like a small clumsier version of the evo,and onlky that.Take Munna and musharna for example.They have the same colors and structures but they don't look the same

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • There are some great ideas you've got, my only problems I have with your scratch sprites is that you need to work one the structures of your sprites, they seem a little blobby (bad description), maybe you need to take a look more into the game sprites. Also, you should take into account what Scarf said, you need to use black outline. Like you did with this sprite:
    picture.php

The black outline on parts around the shading make them look much more like Pokémon sprites.
    Uhhuh OK yes. I can never Sprite the muscles and make limbs more life like.
    I will edit the sprites soon; as far as the outline goes.

Sandlash looked awesome,you deser a yeah! for that.

But you should make the evolutions a little more different.The pre evo looks like a small clumsier version of the evo,and onlky that.Take Munna and musharna for example.They have the same colors and structures but they don't look the same

Right OK, I agree they are too similar.

picture.php

Tried to re-create the Pre-Evo to try to make it different. looks a little like a dolphin though.
    Thanks for the compliment on the Sandslash first re-vamp; gonna do some more soon.

Another Re-vamp for the collection:

picture.php

Thanks for the replies.
    ~Kian

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    They look good, better than any i've ever created haha! Lots of potential. (:

Back