• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music in public

Years
  • I just heard someone walk by with their music playing and it sparked this idea for a thread.

What are your thoughts about music being played in public? Anything from music outside a storefront to street performers to someone playing music from their phone. Appreciate it? Hate it? Don't care? Got any experiences you'd like to share?

Neo™

Mew~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2011
    Well, I don't really mind most of the time, at least if it isn't garbage. I do it sometimes too. I just don't like it when there are like signs blatantly in front of their face, like when I'm on the bus, and someone (well, usually the normal chav) has got it really loud, wearing ear phones, it just makes me think they must be deaf and blind.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Hate it.

I usually hate the music, so of course, I hate when they make me listen to it. =/

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I just feel sorry for the persons ears, as this normally occurs to me when I'm on a bus/train and I can hear the other person's music across the carriage, despite them having headphones in. Unless the music is godawful, I'm normally not too bothered, as it's tinny enough not to warrant full-blown hatred. It just reminds me to turn my music down whenever I have headphones on in public places.

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    I usually don't really care cause I always have headphones in my ears. And even if I didn't have my iPod playing and I disliked whatever music they were playing, I still honestly don't care cause I'd be doin' the same thing. Sometimes I even be blastin' Kottonmouth King's and death metal up in public, so funny seein' the heads turn.

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 2, 2011
    Keep it to your earphones/headphones.

Annoying as anything when you blast it, and it's rap, or a genre someone typically dislikes.

Years
  • I've learnt to tolerate it when other people listen to music that isn't within my taste.

On an unrelated note, one time I was on the street and I saw a band of ninjas playing some rock music. It was so awesome, but I didn't have my sword umbrella on me, otherwise I would have joined the crowd and go nuts for a while. I was in a bit of a hurry, otherwise I would have stayed regardless.

Years
  • I just feel sorry for the persons ears, as this normally occurs to me when I'm on a bus/train and I can hear the other person's music across the carriage, despite them having headphones in. Unless the music is godawful, I'm normally not too bothered, as it's tinny enough not to warrant full-blown hatred. It just reminds me to turn my music down whenever I have headphones on in public places.
    I was thinking more of the people who play their music out loud rather than the ones who just have their music up so loud that other people can hear it, but what you're talking about fits with the idea, too, since everyone can hear it.

And while I'm posting I should say that I'm pretty annoyed by hearing anything that isn't live music. Something about that doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because I can actually see the person trying to entertain a crowd and, I dunno, feel sympathy.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't mind buskers because they're usually pretty entertaining. I don't give them any money though, I'm not a charity case.

I hate people obnoxiously playing music from phone speakers though. It's always terrible music, terrible quality and it's just annoying. And it's usually only one kind of person who plays music like that. Luckily, I rarely encounter it

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Hate it.

I usually hate the music, so of course, I hate when they make me listen to it. =/
    ^ This

The music people play in public, in my opinion, sucks so bad it makes me want to rip my hears off...

Which is why I prefer to bring my iPod everywhere I go. I swear, once I get a car, I'm gonna be blasting so much metal that...stuff will happen. >:3

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • I love live music, period. Regardless of what it is, I always stop and watch. You never know what you might discover about music you may find to like. Take this for example, we went to eat at a restaurant with live music, and the oddest music I've ever heard was going on live: Celtic Accordion. The most random thing ever, yet it was enticing and the two girls performing definitely had talent. That and I guess I'm a sucker for live music since I'm one of the people that's out there performing =P

Just people blasting music, on the other hand, it depends on what they're playing. The music the person is playing through their speakers/headphones depends if I'll like it or not.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I can't stand it. From street buskers to people who travel with guitars and even hired music played at live venues like restaurants. It's loud, it's obnoxious and I just want it to shut up so I can actually hold a conversation with whoever I'm with.

When Christmas time comes and it's Christmas Carols they're singing, however, that is a different story. But I'm a Christmas nut...

Back