• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

African-American Music Artists

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • [If this thread doesn't belong here, feel free to do whatever. ^^]

Now, the title of the thread is just that -- artists, in more specific terms, all about African American artists, who mostly perform music based on African American culture. For my casual liking of the performances of these guys n' gals; Eg. Lil Wayne, Bob Marley, etc.

Do you... listen to or know of an African American Artist?

If you did, do you have a favorite African-American artist? Any special reasons why?

Like mine would be Bob Marley; I love his Reggae. ^__^ If you don't know, he's an African American, Jamaican artist. His hits included songs like "I shot the sheriff" and "One Love" -- I do like the messages of his music; they are simple, yet oh so important; like, "put away your worries" and so on. When I travel to Jamaica to visit relatives, they would play his msuic along with others at times; it really brings back memories. :3

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • The only thing I've really noticed about African American artists - well, the really modern ones anyway - is that everything that happens to them that they deem worthy of writing a song about seems to happen in "da club". This bugs me, because I'm sure they're more intelligent than that and they're just pandering to the masses. I swear, if I hear "da club" one more time...

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • The only thing I've really noticed about African American artists - well, the really modern ones anyway - is that everything that happens to them that they deem worthy of writing a song about seems to happen in "da club". This bugs me, because I'm sure they're more intelligent than that and they're just pandering to the masses. I swear, if I hear "da club" one more time...
    You would probably hate 50cent then xD.

I listen or used to listen to a good deal of Motown. A couple years back when MTV actually played music I used to listen/watch rap videos. Now it's just seems to be about sex, money, drugs, glamorous things. Back then it used to be about life, and the songs seemed genuine not something that was manufactured too appease the masses(or stupid teens) but something you could relate to and felt their story. I am sorry but Soulja Boy is an embarrassment to rap. A guy I worked with told me too listen to Trey Songz he is better then some of the artists these days although I prefer his R&B over his rap. As for my favorite African American Artist Michael Jackson, the guy is King of Pop he is a Legend and it goes without saying. I love Marvin Gaye, Lionel Richie, and Stevie Wonder as well,

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The only thing I've really noticed about African American artists - well, the really modern ones anyway - is that everything that happens to them that they deem worthy of writing a song about seems to happen in "da club". This bugs me, because I'm sure they're more intelligent than that and they're just pandering to the masses. I swear, if I hear "da club" one more time...
    I'm pretty sure that's a very small minority. Here's some recent albums by black AFRICAN AMERICAN artists that are nothing of the sort, I'll honestly be surprised if you can name more modern albums that fit the stereotype of being "gangsta". So many people hear 50 Cent or some other gangsta rapper and generalise from it; you might as well say that all metal musicians ever sing about is death and satan.

R. Kelly - Love Letter
    Beyonce - 4
    Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
    Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh)
    Cee-Lo Green - The Lady Killer (it's not misogynist trust me)
    Ne-Yo - Year of the Gentleman
    Animals as Leaders - Animals as Leaders
    Mos Def - Ecstatic
    Anything by Raphael Saadiq.
    Anything by John Legend.
    Anything by The Roots.
    Anything by Aloe Blacc.
    Anything involving Danger Mouse.
    Prince is still churning out albums that I enjoy as well.

And countless more that I don't know about. That's excluding Black British artists too.

It goes without saying that African American musicians are the kings & queens of jazz, R&B, soul, funk, hip-hop and blues; and I would argue pop as well, but that's debatable.

As for my favourite, it would undoubtedly be Jimi Hendrix. I've loved all of his music ever since I first heard him about 2-3 years ago.

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years

Well, Rap aren't generally the only modern things you should hear from them. [In my experience anyway.]

Anywho, adding to my list I guess would be Alicia Keys; anything she performs anyway. [I simply love her voice. ^^]
    And I'm starting to like Danger Mouse myself.

Years
  • Odd topic.

And countless more that I don't know about. That's excluding Black British artists too.
    No black British artists allowed. Only American.

I think the only ones I have are Nat King Cole and Billie Holiday. Might have something by Nina Simone somewhere. But yeah, I don't particularly listen to many black artists, or at least ones I know are black, which I don't particularly go out of my way to find out. I know of many more, but they don't make music I'm particularly interested in. I'm feeling very particular today.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Lol, this thread seems ignorant but my favorite artist is Beyoncé! She is just the best that ever lived and I have every song she's ever done! But I also love:

Jay-Z
    Kanye West
    Rihanna
    Kelly Rowland
    Kelis
    Grace Jones
    Michelle Williams
    Janet Jackson
    Janelle Monae
    Erykah Badu
    and Tech N9ne

Nyokou

Global Generation
    Years
  • Shining Raichu's got a point though, it's not "ignorant" at all. Mostly has to do with mainstream artists these days though or pretty much any person who comes out with ridiculous songs that might as well have been written by a 12 year old.

People like Nicki Minaj, Cali Swag District, 50 Cent, Lil' Wayne, Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, The Game, Ja Rule, Fat Joe, Cam'ron, Lil' Kim, Trina, etc. are all disgraces to hip hop. And music in general.

But what some people don't get is that there's good artists out there still. Not all the music is bad. I hate when people think hip hop is just about drugs, money, sex, fame, whatever.

Anyway, that's my little rant. I've never been huge on hip hop though as much as R&B.

Some artists that haven't been mentioned already that I like would be... Aaliyah, Toni Braxton, TLC, Monica, Ashanti, Destiny's Child, and Mariah Carey.

Back