• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Third party accessories/controllers

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Do you use third party accessories/controllers?

I almost never use thrid party accessories, except for my wireless Gamecube controller and my usb keyboard. I try to be as authentic as possible whenever I play games, so I go for the option made by the first party as there is always a guarantee for quality.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Oh yeah, I use third party. I can't afford 60 bucks for a game system's controller, I could spend 30 on a third party one and spend the rest on an actual game that brings me actual enjoyment, over an extra cost for the system itself.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Ugh, no. No, no, no. I do not like third party accessories. They look too weird in comparison to the originals. I have a third party N64 controller and it's ASS to play with. The thumb pad (yes, you red that right) on top of the joy stick came off years ago, so the joystick is literally a small metal pole sticking out of the controller. It's just awful. It gets stuck a lot and won't move. Then other times, it goes damn near crazy and moves all over the place in the game we're playing (yeah "we" because I would never use that controller if I'm playing alone).

I have a third party memory card for GCN that was originally my brother's. Now that, I can tolerate. No one's judging me on how my memory cards look. lol And I mean, more memory is good! So yeah, thanks for that. That's all the third party stuff I have though. Like I said, I hate using them cause they just look too weird compared to the name brand ones. Yep, I'm a stickler for that stuff. Nod nod.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am not a fan of them, if I am honest.
    I will always see them as a way to squeeze a little bit more money out of the consumers on stuff they really don't need, the Wii was a great example with this.
    I lost count of how many Wiimote attachments that were released; a golf club, a tennis racket and so on.

The only add on I bought was the gun accessory for Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.​

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I don't really mind them. I bought myself some FPS Freeks recently and they seem pretty cool.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Oh yeah, I use third party. I can't afford 60 bucks for a game system's controller, I could spend 30 on a third party one and spend the rest on an actual game that brings me actual enjoyment, over an extra cost for the system itself.
    http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-Black/dp/B003ZSN600
    http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Dualshock-Wireless-Controller-Black-3/dp/B0015AARJI
    If you don't live in the US then... NM (but I'm sure you can find good deals like that most anywhere). XD

I have a prob with most 3rd party controllers... Other 3rd party accessories I get if it's good.
    First thing that came to mind was a PS2 controller I had that was 3rd party. I got my PS2 and it came in a bundle with some free stuff, a case thing if I were to take it anywhere, a controller, and some other stuff. Well this controller was crap... buttons didn't work all the time, felt strange, and was just bad.
    I've also played with other 3rd party controllers for other systems (not my controllers, but like at a friends house), I just never liked them. I was used to the feel of whatever controller and that's how it was. On top of that... some of them also had button probs.

I'm not saying all 3rd party controllers are bad... I have another 3rd party controller for my PS2, it's from the great people over at Logitech (one of my fav companies). This controller had Sony's stamp of approval so it's not like it's some random way out there brand. But I wanted something wireless and I saw that and had to have it. The thing was $40 at the time and for me as a kid that was a lot of money to put into a controller. But it was well worth it, and if I have to play my PS2 ever again then it's there waiting on me.

As for accessories such as keyboards, headsets, or HDMI cables... I'm not going to waste my money on 1st party accessories because I think most of them are over priced and most I don't like. Such as the little chat pad things for the PS3 and 360 (and yes I know about the Bluetooth PS3 keyboard from Logitech). Why would I waste money on them little things when I can have a full USB keyboard? I've got a full keyboard on my 360, and got another full keyboard on my PS3 (both Logitech).

Headsets... I would never buy a headset from Sony or MS for their consoles. Them $20 mics (I think they're down to like $5 on Amazon) from MS is 100% crap, and I've heard mixed reviews on the wireless mic (plus I think it'd hurt my ear). I haven't heard people talk about the PS3 Bluetooth mic so I don't know about that (other then it looks like it'd hurt my ear). I know Sony is coming out with their own headset, and MS is getting Tritton to make their own brand of 360 headsets. Personally I think if you're a big enough gamer then you need to look around for a good headset and put a little money into one (As long as it isn't a Turtle Beach Crap headset). And not get them little ear piece things.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Unfortunately, compared to third party, that isn't a good deal. :( I found a third party 360 controller being sold for 8 bucks used, 20 new, and the same for PS3. I'm very, very easy on my controllers though, so it's not often even a third party one breaks on me, and I can get used to the feel easily enough if it's shaped differently. I just get really annoyed thinking of dropping hundreds of dollars on their system, only to find out that they also expect me to give them more money on controllers, when game prices are going up and I by no means have unlimited money and am lucky if I get 1-2 new games a year.

I guess when you're poor like me, you have to make a few concessions in comfort to save money :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Yes.
    It's unlikely for a first party to make something like metal cases for portable devices (since surely nobody would ever make a ruggedised version). If I were a console gamer I'd not hesitate to get a third party controller if the first party one were uncomfortable, unintuitive or whose only model is wireless.

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • it really depends, i would never get a 3rd party controller as they are usually uncomfortable and break easily and memory cards as i get worried that they will break and i will lose my save files. but stuff like cases, wires, chargers, stylus and cleaners i don't mind being 3rd party and i would usually get them like that as they are cheaper.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I had a pimped out Game Boy Color. It had a lot going on...

- screen magnifier
    - light accessory
    - rumble feature
    - enhanced speakers
    - rechargeable battery pack

It was damn heavy

Back