• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

T-t-the beat controls your mind!

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
Years
Thread name comes from some overly cliche techno-related line. Bah! Anywho... with Techno becoming so big nowadays, does anyone feel that more emphasize is being placed on the beat of a song rather than the actual lyrics? How would you feel about said movement and does this say something about how culture is changing?

I personally have given up on listening to the "message" of a song. I feel isolated in today's themes. Call me old fashioned, but I miss those old 80 love songs. So I've switched to Techno as a way of progressing. Without any interest in lyrics, I just care about a good beat. Infact I'd even go so far as to say that I listen to the lyrics ONLY as an extension of the beat :x

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
In general, yes - I wouldn't say it's always the case as if you look/listen to the 'right' bands then you'll get decent lyrics, but I'll agree that overall I enjoy the older songers over the current mainstream trend (Heck, look no further than say Simon and Garfunkel for lyrics and somthing more than a beat) - but I don't mind a decent techno song at times either. Basically depends - say if i'm working on something thn there's not as much point for me to listen to deep lyrics as I'd rather focus on the job on hand.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't listen to the radio, so I miss the majority of the "hottest" songs of the day, because I have my iPod playing over it. But it died the other day and I got stuck with the radio. Literally every song, with the exception of 3 of them were the SAME. DAMN. THING. Beat wise, anyway. The lyrics made no sense. Oddly enough, the 3 I enjoyed that weren't the same as the others were 3 I have on my own iPod (though Super Bass is completely ruined in the radio edit). But yeah, I don't remember the other songs I heard. Something by Cobra Starship (something like that?) and some other people...and it all sounded the same. More emphasis on a good beat and not the lyrics, unless I wasn't really listening or something. I personally can like a song for lyrics and/or beats. Though lyrics pull me in more than the beat of a song majority of the time. Sometimes a beat is REALLY good, but the lyrics might just be uncomfortable or annoying for me, and I'll just ignore that song.

Anyway, point is, I do think songs today are more focused on a good beat, and unfortunately, they all sound horrifically similar. That's probably why I can't even tell you the difference between them. But at the same time, what else is there lyric-wise that hasn't been done? Reminds me of when I was little, I used to wonder if the world would run out of beats and lyrics. I was 9...so that was 10 years ago. But are we? I think there are more things to be explored though. Music is eternal. I came to realize that when I was 14.

...Gee, I hate when I get off track like that haha.

Years
I remember when I was little, too, and I heard a song that reminded me of another song and I thought "Oh no! They ran out of music. THERE'S GONNA BE NO MORE NEW MUSIC!"

But on topic, I don't think that today is any more or less special in terms of how good or bad the message of the music is. There's always been cheap music and there's always been good music if you can find it. I'm also one who enjoys 'older' music, but I think it's just because there's decades of it and only the last few years can really be called current.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
But on topic, I don't think that today is any more or less special in terms of how good or bad the message of the music is. There's always been cheap music and there's always been good music if you can find it. I'm also one who enjoys 'older' music, but I think it's just because there's decades of it and only the last few years can really be called current.

That in mind, I think these days, if you're looking for a song with some big metaphorical meaning or whatever, you have to dig a little more than you used to. I've been listening to a lot of older music lately, mostly 90's stuff that I remember from childhood. Now that I'm not a child, I'm getting the meaning of them. So did people that were 19 during that time get it like I do now? And these are songs that made the Billboard Top 100 or whatever, so they were on the radio, not songs you have to dig out. Just a thought though.

You know what is a goldmine though? Song with a good beat and good message. lol Best of both worlds, right? B)

Years
It really depends on what genre you're listening to. If you've got techno playing then obviously you're not listening to it for the lyrical content, whereas if you have something more melodic, or even just a song where the vocals are prominent you're going to be concentrating on the lyrics a little more.

Lyrics haven't really become worse over the years, like just look at the song Manic Monday from the 80s: "It's just another manic Monday, I wish it was Sunday, 'cos that's my fun day, and now I gotta run-day." By no means is that a good song, it's in fact one of the worst songs I've heard - but nobody could have possibly been listening to that for the lyrical content. People who did enjoy the song were probably more focused on the rhythm and melody than the lyrics themselves.

Back