• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I saw that over 9000 times!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years

• Pardon my use of an overtired meme

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II for the fourth time, and this got me thinking about all the other times I've gone to see a movie more than once. Thinking back on it, I have actually been guilty of this quite a few times.

If you really like a movie, do you make a habit of going to see it more than once while it's in cinemas? What is your record for the most visits to the cinema to go and see the same movie? What movie was it? Was it because you really enjoyed it the first time you saw it or was it more a matter of social circumstance? If there is an anecdote involved, please don't hesitate to share it with us!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I generally almost never go to see a movie more than once, if only because I'm not a big movie fan myself. When I like a movie, I may want to see it again long after I've seen it once, but I definitely wouldn't pay extra money to go see it again in a movie theater. I mean, I only see 1 or 2 movies in theaters a year anyway.

Although as a kid I loved the Pokemon movie so much (I don't remember which one, the one with the Ancient Mew card) that my sister and I went together 3 times, so we had 6 of those cards. That's the only time I've done that though. xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I barely get the chance to go to the movies to even see a movie once let alone more than once. I don't think there was every a time where I went to go see a movie twice. Now when they get on DVD and VHS that's a different story if I liked the movie.

Years
  • I've only ever seen a movie more than once in theatres when someone else was paying. That's happened once or two, I think, but I don't remember what movies they were. I'd have to really love a movie to see it more than once in the first place and if I love it that much I'm just going to buy it anyway so I may as well save the $10 for a ticket and use it to help purchase the DVD.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • What Scarf said. I'm a cheapskate, and unless my parents or whatever are paying, I won't go see it again. I've seen a few movies a couple of times, but I think 2 or 3 is the record...

I don't think it's worth the money... I can wait a few months and get it on DVD if I liked it that much and then watch it as many times as I want. That, I'm happy to do!

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I hate seeing movies more than once. It's the same for books, tv shows, anything.

I already know what's going to happen so any suspense or awe is completely lost; and on top of that, the worst part, is the second time around I'm more likely to notice flaws and pick them apart, and then the whole thing is ruined. It's happened a few times in the past so I avoid re-watching/reading now unless it's absolutely amazing. I think the only thing recently I've seen multiple times is Toy Story 3.

I will revisit scenes that I particularly love though.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • The only movie I've re-watched in the cinemas is 'Gnomeo & Juliet' and I watched that twice because the film we ( me and my friend) wanted to watch wasn't on.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I hate seeing movies more than once. It's the same for books, tv shows, anything.

I already know what's going to happen so any suspense or awe is completely lost; and on top of that, the worst part, is the second time around I'm more likely to notice flaws and pick them apart, and then the whole thing is ruined. It's happened a few times in the past so I avoid re-watching/reading now unless it's absolutely amazing. I think the only thing recently I've seen multiple times is Toy Story 3.

I will revisit scenes that I particularly love though.
    I can understand how that can negatively impact bad bits of culture. But seeing your favourite films multiple times or reading your favourite books again allows you to appreciate the good stuff more and more. And if you're only consuming the narrative then, yeah, that can get a little tiring; however, if you're watching out for gripping performances or wonderful writing, then revisiting culture is often a necessity to fully get to grips with the respective art in question.

However, while I've seen my favourite films multiple times on DVD, to my knowledge there's only one that I've seen in cinemas loads of times: like Vendak, it's Toy Story 3. The first time, I saw it with a friend who was coming to visit me. The second, I saw it by myself, but in 2D. The third, I saw it with a different group of friends at a different cinema. The fourth, I just wanted an excuse to get out of the house, and didn't like any of the other films on offer. The fifth (yes, I saw it five times...) I have no real excuse for. It was just something to do.

While it's really good, it's probably not one of my favourite films either. Weird...

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
    Years
  • The only movie that I've seen more than once in theaters is "50 First Dates." I've seen it once for regular price and twice at a cheap theater. My family doesn't make a lot of money so in my case it isn't really about being a "cheapskate," it's just doing what's affordable. I rarely ever go to the movies as it is and I just fell in love with this movie. It had funny scenes, just enough drama to not tip over, and I loved that message of doing whatever it takes to be with the one you love. I've even bought the movie twice because it's my favorite and the movie that I can't go without :P

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • I have a funny story about this:

I went to the movie theatre with my GF, and she wanted to watch "Journey to the Center of the Earth" as she was a big Jules Vern fan. Problem was, she was talking the whole time, so I only got visuals. We broke up soon after. Next, I went back myself to see it with audio, and to try out the 3d version. A few days later, my friends called me up and said to meet them at the mall: You can guess what we did there... And finally, the worst part of all, my new GF wanted to see it, and I said I had seen it too much, but she gave me puppy-dog eyes and I went. And there was a fifth time. I told my brother who is a couple years younger about this, and he offered me 20 bucks plus free admission if I watched it again. I did. Funny how I watched a movie I thought was merely OK, 5 times.... Guess what my bro got me for XMass? A DVD of it. I broke the disc and threw it away.

Rocket Grunt Cali

Prepare for trouble!
    Years
  • I used to work at my local movie theatre, and one of our perks was getting to go to movies for free whenever we weren't working. So I saw movies multiple times fairly often since I didn't have to pay-- I think my records were Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Alice in Wonderland 2010, and The Princess and the Frog, but I can't remember for the life of me which one I saw the most ^.^;;;

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • No. Unless I own it on DVD I will never watch a movie twice. : \ And when I do they are normally separated by 6 months.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I don't get out to the movie theatres much at all, much less going to see something twice. Not that there's been any movie released in the past ten years that I would actually want to sit through twice at a movie theater, but still, I don't think I'd return for a repeat showing even if there were a movie I really liked. Movie theatres are not my favorite viewing environment. The volume is too loud and the other patrons are distracting.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    [SIZE="a"]I've never seen a movie twice in a theater. I really never go to the theater at all nowadays.[/SIZE]

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • The only movie I've ever watched more than once in the cinemas was Transformers, Dark side of the Moon, It wasn't my intention to go but I was dragged by my cousins to see it again lol Don't get me wrong I liked it but I never usually go for seconds...

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I make it a habit to see a movie more than once if I enjoyed it the first time. Yesterday, I went and saw the final Harry Potter film again, making it five times I've seen it. I saw every other Harry Potter film twice, and there have been plenty of other films I've seen twice - though it's rarely more than that.

The one movie aside from Harry Potter 7.2 that I've seen more than twice was TRON: Legacy - though it was by social circumstance rather than actual enjoyment. My best friend became so obsessed with it that after we saw it the first time, she dragged me along to see it a second time at IMAX in 3D... then after that I got pulled into seeing it again with different friends. The third time I saw it I was like "wtf am I doing here again" because the truth is - the movie was really just OK. It wasn't anything too special lol.

River

Ninjah Penguin <3
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Sep 16, 2011
    I often watch movies again and again. Each time I watch them, I notice other little details that I'd forgotten. Yeah, maybe you already know what's gonna happen after the first time, but if you're watching it again, you probably aren't watching it to find out what happens. You're watching it just for the enjoyable entertainment it provides. But lack of money means I don't often watch them more than twice at movie theaters. I'll usually just get the dvd and watch it as many times as I'd like on there.

Back