• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Potential

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    What does this word mean to you? To me it means living up to expectations. To be quite honest I hate the word. I've had a lot of people in my life telling me I have great potential and I have the ability to do big things in my life. What happens when one doesn't live up to the hype? Do you let down those who thought you could do so much more? It's so easy to be praised as a bright, intelligent, and outstanding person but as soon as one thing goes wrong or something you do is perceived as wrong then you are a disappointment. Just yesterday I was watching a recap of the celebrity apprentice and Donald Trump was talking about how one of the apprentices had so much potential in his eyes but at the end of the day potential means nothing if you can't live up to it. Then he called that particular apprentice a quitter because they couldn't live up to his standards and they decided to give up. So I would like to know other opinions on this word. Am I being a pessimist or is there some truth to what I am saying......please discuss.

Psycho Bugler

Jew Extrordinaire!
    Years
  • In before physicists...

This is an interesting thread. I believe you have a very valid point. I had to try-out/audition for spots on sports teams and musical ensembles in college and high school. Many times my adjudicators told me that I was better than most of the people on the team, but I didn't show as much potential as the other candidates I was competing against for a spot. This always baffled me. If I'm better wouldn't I be more useful now than someone who isn't as talented as me?

However, I've come to discover (in my opinion of course) that potential should only be recognized in ones self. I can't see someone else's potential; that's for them to recognize only. I've discovered my potential and ever since I've learned that I can do so much better. Every time I compete or perform, I improve so much as a competitor or artist. I continue to push my potential limits every time I hit the breaking point.

So potential is a personal thing to me. It's what I use to estimate what I can do right now and what I might be able to do in the future. It's how I measure progress. It's how I know I'm being the best human I can be.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    That touches on what I was saying. For instance, all of those people who they said had potential, what if they didn't live up to their expectations, they would have felt that they had made a huge mistake buy letting talent that was amazing go by, (in this case you being the talent) because they felt like they may surpass your current talent just because of potential. I just don't get it.

Psycho Bugler

Jew Extrordinaire!
    Years
  • That touches on what I was saying. For instance, all of those people who they said had potential, what if they didn't live up to their expectations, they would have felt that they had made a huge mistake buy letting talent that was amazing go by, (in this case you being the talent) because they felt like they may surpass your current talent just because of potential. I just don't get it.
    It doesn't make sense. Granted, a lot of people have learning curves that are all different. However, if you look at someone's background in the field (such as no lessons for the instrument, no experience on a higher ranked team, etc...) then you'd be able to see that most people who they say have "better potential" have the exact same background as I did. If I was better than they were with the same informal training and education then obviously I have a better learning and improvement curve.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Potential...

For me, that word is kind of a love/hate thing. It all depends on the context and what it is describing. I hate the word when used to describe me because, being the lazy person I am, this was a word that often came up in parent teacher interviews at school.

Now lets get this straight... You never want to hear that word during a parent teacher interview.

As for describing things that aren't me... If it's describing something that is in it's early stages, it is a very good compliment, but if it is being used to describe something that has been around for a while and has reached it's prime, I see it as an insult.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Potential isn't an expectation for me. It's the fact that someone already sees that spark in you for something. Saying "Your portfolio has potential" means "you've got some great bits, but you're also lacking in a particular area if you want to pursue this particular path." That's it.

If you want to pursue it, then work at it. If you want to be really great, smart, talented or whatever.. then work at it. If you don't care to do that and find more personal fulfilment somewhere else.. then don't fret about it. If you hate writing but someone sees something you wrote because of an assignment and says "this has great potential." Then to me it just means "with a few tweaks you can make this piece of art a show stopper" instead of just a "good piece." That's all.

The only expectation people assume actually comes from yourself? But why? Having potential is a good thing because it means you're starting to have a knack for something and all you need to do is refine it IF you want to go that route. If not then having potential just means someone sees something unique in you or your style and it's a compliment.

Years
  • Potential means you latent abilities or powers that you need to bring out in force, whether it be in sports, the classroom, etc. You usually need someone, a coach, teacher, mentor, etc, to help you bring your abilities to the forefront and to use them to your fullest.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I agree with Live wire. Potential for me is the energy and all the talent they can apply to something if they try. Usually I like Potential with will power...

xGunLuis

Let's Player
    Years
  • to me i believe potential is have a knack for something and with the proper shaping you can become a so called "expert". now i dont want no attacks from anyone about my own context of the word, but really i look at potential through a youtubers standpoint. There are many many channels who have top notch videos, gfx, commentary...they have all the things needed to become a very successful channel but the fact of the matter is, no exposure. i believe that if they had that as well, their potential would take off and they would become amazing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    You will be more tomorrow than you are today, etc.
    But to me, potential is a universal concept regarding all that doesn't yet exist (which would on a minuscule level include the consequences of one's own life). As elements can form more complex compounds, they can express the potential consequences of that in becoming, ultimately, every piece of matter we yet know. Life is a furthering of this potential, beyond simply being — now doing, and with context and meaning. What might come to be beyond us as living things, and in turn beyond those things, and so on —or instead/additionally what might come to be beyond us as humans within the context of life— is currently potential.

Last edited:

Lord V-Man

Casual modder
    Years
  • I perceive potential to mean: "what is considered possible, given the current situation". It is a very subjective word and should always be accompanied by something else defining where the possibilities lie. Just saying that someone has potential is rather meaningless

Back