• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Forum Overlap Confusion

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
  • Helloooooooo. Perhaps a stupid question here but something that has been bugging me for my ENTIRE time on this forum (which I'm sure you'll all agree is far too long a time to be bugged for) is the overlap between the Pokémon Gaming Central and Pokémon General forums. I find it pretty much impossible to tell the differences between them on occasion. From what I've seen, Pokémon General seems to have more stuff that is pokémon-related but not strictly related to the games (taking for example, 'Just Me Being Sarcastic About Pokemon (Pt. 1)' on page 1). However, there are also plenty of topics that look like they could very easily be in Pokémon Gaming Central ('Who is the Favorite and the best Protagonist?' is in Pokémon General while another thread based around ranking in-game characters is in Pokémon Gaming Central in the form of 'Favorite Gym Leader?').

Anyway, my problem is that I find it difficult to know where I'd post a general discussion about Pokémon. I could just err on the side of caution and post in Gaming Central because it seems to be the place where general game discussion is meant to go, but with some of it randomly going into the General forum, I'd like some clarification before I go making a silly mistake! I should probably point out that at the mo I can't seem to think of any general pokémon thread (I believe I had an idea for one earlier but alas) so this is hardly a pressing question, but it is one that might aid me in future!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The forums are like they are because it makes sense to have a Pokémon Gaming Central section as a place to hold the threads that aren't specifically about a certain game, while Pokémon General is the even wider place to hold the threads that aren't about the games, the anime, the manga or TCG.

But now that you make me think about it... Is there really any use in having Pokémon General? O.o What kind of threads was that section created for in the first place, really? If it was taken away and Pokémon Manga and Pokémon Voting Polls were put in the main PC index under Alternative Pokémon Discussions, what would really be lost?

EDIT: ok, after some scouting, I guess threads like this, this and this and more wouldn't really fit anywhere else. Maybe there is a tiny need for an extra place when there is really nowhere else to post stuff like this. But, if the rules and limits of the Pokémon Gaming Central forum were expanded upon and stretched a little, these threads could probably fit there as well. Maybe.

Last edited:

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
    Years
  • The forums are like they are because it makes sense to have a Pokémon Gaming Central section as a place to hold the threads that aren't specifically about a certain game, while Pokémon General is the even wider place to hold the threads that aren't about the games, the anime, the manga or TCG.

But now that you make me think about it... Is there really any use in having Pokémon General? O.o What kind of threads was that section created for in the first place, really? If it was taken away and Pokémon Manga and Pokémon Voting Polls were put in the main PC index under Alternative Pokémon Discussions, what would really be lost?

EDIT: ok, after some scouting, I guess threads like this, this and this and more wouldn't really fit anywhere else. Maybe there is a tiny need for an extra place when there is really nowhere else to post stuff like this. But, if the rules and limits of the Pokémon Gaming Central forum were expanded upon and stretched a little, these threads could probably fit there as well. Maybe.

The likes of my post were of course fabulous ego boosts but HURRAH for a response! That's really cleared everything up, I don't reckon I'll have trouble placing threads now so thank you. It does seem a tad silly to have two forums that overlap so much (if you deleted Gaming Central and directed all activity into General I doubt any harm would be done) but of course it is not my position to tell you people how to run your forum!

Back