• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Back into the Pokemon scene and would like help!

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2013
    As the title says i haven't really played a Pokemon game in a while i believe i stopped at 2nd or 3rd gen.
    So I recently beat pokemon x and i would like to make a pretty good team to be able to compete with my friends but i have no idea what natures and ivs are good for what pokemon or even what moveset is good for what pokemon :(. Currently my team is Charziard, Jolteon, Mawile, Alakazam, Greninja, Scrafty. Any changes in my team that i should do? And if so what pokemon would you replace it with and what would be the perfect nature,iv,move set would go with it.
    I appreciate any help i can get and sorry for my crappy writing im not that great at English ._.
    (also no ubers please D: )

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    You should use who you want to battle with, I think that's pretty important for a competitive team. I have to say though, type matchup-wise, your team is pretty balanced. And the only thing you can really change at this point are EVs and Move Sets, which really depend on what role you want each Pokemon to play. Note you can't do anything about the IVs or nature at this point.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2013
    well what i meant is that im down to breed and try for the best ivs or nature i just dont know what is good with what....

Yuuto

Community Helper~
    Years
  • (Sorry this post took so long! I was doing my own research and planning this all from scratch!)

Here's some suggestions from someone who's still learning competitive battling. Anyone's free to correct me, but I feel these are decent choices. Also, feel free to change things as you want. Have fun with it! (Especially if you're just battling friends. ;P)

If I use any words you don't understand, here's a really good site that explains competitive battling terms.
    The Pokemon Dictionary

Charizard
    This one will be difficult to use thanks to Stealth Rocks. As a Fire/Flying it's 4x damage which could easily bring him to half health just for switching him in. If you use him, he'd probably be best as a Special Sweeper.

Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk) or Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack

Moveset:
    - Air Slash
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - Solar Beam

Other good options you can switch between depending on the type coverage needed. Hidden Power Grass (instead of Solar Beam), Flamethrower (instead of Fire Blast), and Dragon Pulse in place of anything you want. If you have Mega Charizard X, I'd take Dragon Pulse for sure.

Jolteon
    I need more experience with Jolteon. I hear he's great and I know he's built to be a Special Sweeper. Here's what I would personally do with him, but feel free to make changes to his moveset. I had a hard time picking.

Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack

Moveset:
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Substitute

Some more good options: Charge Beam with Baton Pass and Thunder with Rain Dance somewhere on the team. Might be more good moves too. Look at all he can learn yourself.

Mawile
    Mawile is a good Bulky Physical Sweeper or he could be a good Baton Pass for another Physical Sweeper. If you go the Baton Pass way, then you would want to buff him up as much as you can and Baton Pass into Scrafty or Greninja. I'll give both of my suggested sets here.

Physical Sweeper
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP

Moveset:
    - Iron Head
    - Crunch
    - Swords Dance
    - Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, Ice Fang (take your pick)

Baton Pass
    Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense

Moveset:
    - Baton Pass
    - Swords Dance
    - Substitute
    - Iron Head

Alakazam
    The original Special Sweeper. There's a lot of viable moves for Alakazam and you'll have to pick based on your play style. I'll give you what I would use and some options under that.

Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk) or Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed

Moveset:
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute

Also try: Calm Mind, Psyshock, Energy Ball, Encore, Dazzling Gleam (Anti-Dragon!)

Scrafty
    Yet another Bulky Physical Sweeper. His speed is pretty bad, but he's a fun guy to use. If you make Mawile a Baton Passer then Scrafty will become even better.

Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP

Moveset:
    - Drain Punch
    - Crunch
    - Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch
    - Bulk Up

You can also use High Jump Kick or Brick Break in place of Drain Punch (since Drain Punch isn't easy to get if I remember correctly). If you have the Shed Skin ability and don't have Drain Punch, Rest would be good too. Dragon Dance can replace Bulk Up if you like too. Other moves to try include Dragon Claw, Dragon Tail, Iron Head, and Poison Jab (Anti-Fairy).

Greninja
    I have no idea what to do with Greninja yet, honestly. I'd definitely make sure he has the Protean ability if you use him. Here's what I would try, but I'd suggest waiting for someone else to give you their advice on the matter.

Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA) or Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack

Moveset:
    - Night Slash
    - Rock Slide
    - Acrobatics
    - Toxic Spikes

Other good moves are Aerial Ace (if you want a held item, switch this with Acrobatics), Shadow Sneak, Waterfall, U-Turn, and Power-Up Punch.

Overall Analysis:

Your team is very offensive. This is common for, say, story teams because it's the easiest way to play. You have good type coverage but not much strategy. If you use Baton Pass Mawile then you'll have something unique and fun to mess with. Otherwise, you're just trying your best to one-shot or two-shot every Pokemon. This team will work for battles with friends and can even have some success in random battles.

Once you've played around with this team some, I'd suggest looking into some more defensive or supportive team members. Walls are used to handle your opponents' sweepers and set-up traps or defenses to make your whole team better. If you want to do double, triple, or rotation battles, then having support Pokemon is a good idea too. They will help power up your Pokemon or weaken your opponents and are valuable in these types of battles.

Years
  • Wouldn't a Baton passing Tank/Wall be amazin if it new sword dance or calm mind? You could boost its attack up ALOT, then Baton pass it to Greninja? I think this will be alittle more succesful if you add a Tank on your team with baton pass and sword dance. Thats just my opion tho

Back