• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Tutorial] So you want to learn Programming the easy way?

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
  • Anywhere I go, I either see people demotivating other people to learn Programming, because 'it's very hard', or hear how people recommend newcomers to use books.
    However, my experience taught me it's not needed at all.
    That's why I just created my own free guide, covering many effective methods on how to learn any Programming language you want.
    This guide is called, E.P.L.T. (Effective Programming Learning Techniques).

It's a guide I wish somebody gave me, when I tried for years, because learning a Programming language really isn't as hard as you might think!
    I forgot to write it down, but my main inspiration was Benny Lewis, who wrote the Language Hacking Guide (for learning human languages).

You can download and/or read it here:
    http://www.mkgirlism.eu/files/downs/EPLT_by_Yamilla_Hoshi.pdf
    Also, feel free to spread it to as many people, willing to learn Programming, as you want.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    Very good job!

The best way to learn programming really is practicing a lot. Before learning a language, just learn programming logic, I've seen several authors who try to teach first the programming logic than a language. When you are unsure what an algoritm does, just mentally run this algorithm (at least until you solve your doubt) line by line (making comments at lines to help you), this is VERY important. There some exercicies about this in the web.

After learning this, I suggest exercise list that are VERY good for mastering basic struture things like using 'if' at another 'if' and using 'while' at another 'while'. After you learned the basic stuff, you can learn a lot looking at other devs codes.

In truth, the best way for learning programming (at start at least) is training with a tutor who points where you are going wrong and only advances to a next topic when you really mastered the actual topic. I've tutored people before and I can say that the most recurring error was to don't mentally "runs" the algorithm

I disagree about programming every day, even christmas. This should be recommend but isn't a rule. There are people that, at some days, just doesn't have a free time, so I prefer to meansure hours per week. My advice is to program every week at least 10 hours and, if possible, some time every day.

I particularly don't had problem mastering basic things like conditionals or loops, I only have some trouble when I tried learning several object oriented concepts at once, making very few exercises and even trying to decorate some syntax. Isn't necessary to decorate commands, if you use it a lot you will learn naturally, just don't Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V everything.

Some other comments about this guide:

The Eclipse isn't something bad for beginners, I had some problems only deploying web servers at this IDE (this is very slow and the changes didn't goes up even increasing the memory and cleaning the server).

Comments at Ruby (the language most known at this forum) are done with '#'. '--' is the escape from SQL, for HTML/XML, among other, is '<!--comment goes here-->', but these may not count.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    I quit trying to learn programming years ago on the account that looking at walls of text and trying to figure stuff out of it was mind-numbing, but your article kind of motivates me to get back into it... Though I'm mostly an animation artist by profession. xD

Nice guide!

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2016
    Programming I think is easiest is to jump in and consult guides for help, rather than consulting guides for instructions then jumping in, if that makes sense. Making little changes to code to see what it changes, learning how each variable works and when its used and only looking for help if you need it, that's my style.

I read through your guide though, it's high-quality and informative! Good job- it certainly would have helped me when I was learning :)

Back