• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy theme cards

Lucifer.

Custom'D
Years
  • First thing's first: I haven't made any custom cards for about a year now, and I've discovered an oddity with the Gill Sans font I'm using. It just doesn't look good at all in italics. And in actual fact both Gill Sans and Gill Sans Condensed can still look a bit odd on their own, depending on the text size. Back when I made my first cards it was perfect. What went wrong? :confused:

Anyway, for that reason I've decided to leave italics out of these designs. So don't point their absence out as a fault. :P

Right, to business! I haven't really been into Pokemon for a couple of years now, but re-playing the PC version of Final Fantasy VIII a couple of days back inspired me to use the TCG mechanics for some Final Fantasy-themed cards. These are my first 5 prototypes, so I'm looking for some feedback. I'm not an avid TCG player so I need to know if the skills and powers are okay to begin with. They're supposed to be uber cards, but also fair ones. So if some are over/underpowered then let me know.

I'd also like some help with the terms and wordings. Just to generally tie-up any loose ends in the attack descriptions. Symbol placement could also be a bit off (note: I'm using "fighters" instead of "Pokemon" for obvious reasons).

Oh and lastly, all of the pictures are screenshots from my game. I wanted to put in some effort to get interesting picture angles. They're not Googled images :P I'm also using the older card layouts because, well, I prefer them.

Carbuncle

Doomtrain

Irvine

Squall

Tonberry

[Cheers to www.pokemonzeo.com for the blanks and symbols]

Gokey Shuckle

Bisexual and Proud
    Years
  • Nice cards and very creative. Since you already pointed out your own mistakes in your first post, I will give 9/10 for all cards. I love honesty. However, I am unfamiliar with Neo fakes since I'm more of an expert on ADV fakes which you should get into since it's really fun. Go visit the tutorial and there should be a link to all of the materials needed. Have fun.

Cascade, That is bashing....and since you said you want to leave, then bye bye.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • I'm not sure. The newer cards look a bit...untidy. Plus it'd mean learning new placement techniques. xD

I may consider converting them to that style if I can fix my font problem. Any idea what could be wrong? Both Gill Sans fonts look a bit off, Condensed is in a perma state of bold, and (as I already said) neither of them look right in italics. It's a puzzle, alright.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • These are only prototypes. The final versions will have fixed fonts, cleaned-up attacks and will probably be transfered over to the more up-to-date blanks. The idea behind revealing them here was to get helpful feedback, so if you have any criticisms I'd appreciate it if you told me exactly what they were so I could correct them. I'm no mind-reader. :P

I've just uploaded 6 more cards. Alexander, Bahamut, Cactuar, Rinoa, Quezacotl and Ultima Weapon.

Last edited:

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
    Years
  • yeah, I quite like them too, I think GF Tonberry shouldcan evolve from Normal Tonberry! ^^
    Oh, and I can only see the rinoa card, good pics you got for them aswell, if you want any help just ask! ;)

EDIT: Oh, and about you're font problem, there are two kinds of gill sans fonts, download the ones from pok?mon palace, and then install them by going into the control panel and then to fonts. (In case you didn't know how to) It'll look right then.

Last edited:

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • Datriot said:
    yeah, I quite like them too, I think GF Tonberry, he can evolve from Noraml Tonberry! ^^

The only problem with that is GF Tonberry basically is a normal Tonberry. :D

I removed the other images because it may've started to bog the page down. Rinoa was the only one requested, so I left it there.

Besides my Gill Sans font woes, I only really need a hand with the fairness of their attacks. If you could give them the once over to see what you think that'd be great. The only experience I have with Pokemon TCG mechanics is from the GBC videogame.

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
    Years
  • I think you're attacks aren't that bad, some good effects you've got there, some would fit the game very nicely. I edited the first post (before I realised you replied XD) about your font problem, it was the same with me.
    Oh, and you could also put the cards in thumbnails instead of hotlinks if you wanna show them.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • I did get the fonts from pokemonpalace xD I'll delete and then reinstall them later. See if that helps.

Final Fantasy theme cardsFinal Fantasy theme cardsFinal Fantasy theme cards
    Final Fantasy theme cardsFinal Fantasy theme cards

QFred

Behold...
    Years
  • I think the second new card should be GF Quetzalcoatl, like the name of the Mesoamerican plumed-serpent god...

The fourth, not really sure about this one, shoukldn't be GF Behemoth?

Great cards, anyways!

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I just love these cards. I'm not sure about the fonts, but they look okay. I think you should make a Tonberry King card, that evolves from Tonberry. And maybe some trainer cards? Well anyway, you did a great job on these cards ^_^

</|-?lvaro-|\>

U.God Of Invincible Fists
    Years
  • Oh my god man! Absolutely cool stuff you have here! I am a greaat fan of Final Fantasy, and a great fan of the WEAPONS, uber and superior beings from Final Fantasy series, not to mention that they are my favourite ones. I saw you made an Ultima Weapon card, I liked it a lot, and liked the others too, but the Ultima one is my favourite (Fan-mode detected) . congratulations. A creative stuff indeed. ^^

Datriot

Tachikama!!!
    Years
  • great new cards, not really sure about your font problem then, do you use paint? Because things can get reallllyy wierd when using that hunk of junk.;)
    Oh, and idea for a card could be King Tonberry (which evolves from Tonberry)\

Last edited:

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • harrybitzo said:
    I think that you need Humanist. Check the tutorials on zeo for the stuff you need. And you forgot the illus.

Like I said, the Humanist set I have doesn't look anything like the official card font.

Oh and there is no illustrator. On the finished cards I'll probably just put "Square."

Datriot said:
    great new cards, not really sure about your font problem then, do you use paint? Because things can get reallllyy wierd when using that hunk of junk.;)

Yeah I use Paint xD but that's not the problem. The font looks odd in Word as well (plus I used Paint for my last set of cards and they were pretty-much perfect).

King Tonberry is long dead in my game, so I can't get a screenshot. I'll have to remember to get one on my next play through.

Anyway, these are my two latest additions:

Final Fantasy theme cardsFinal Fantasy theme cards

I'm trying to recreate them as best I can based on the game, which is why Tiamat's Dark Flare is so harsh. For those not in the know, in FFVIII Tiamat's only attack is a very powerful Dark Flare, and it takes about 10 years to charge up. So I figured since (unless I'm mistaken) you can only have 4 Dark Energy cards in your deck, using Limit Charge would be a necessity in order to use the attack more than once. It has the same "take him down before he takes you down" feel of the real battle.

Well, I thought it was a good idea anyway. :D

More to follow once I've thought of some new ideas during long periods of boredom at work. I'll start work on a couple more within the next few days.

Oxnite

aka Arbok
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    I dont really like them, sorry... 5,5/10... :nervous:

Back