• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen um...unevolved pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    not that im using this guy until the end or anything, i was just raising a swuirtle and evolved him to wartortle as the story goes and im thinking about keeping him as wartortle. i know blastoise is a tank and can destroy but i was just wondering what you all thought about unevolved pokemon and making them strong since theyre one of your favorites?

Neo Android

Master Eevee Trainer
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Eire
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    I have an unevolved eevee on my leaf green which is like at Lv100 and i have an eevee on Emerald that is Lv32 and im not eveloving that. I have however have all of eevees evolutions through breeding. I think some time a pokemon can become stronger when not evolving quicker. I just keep eevee as she is though cause its my fav Pokemon

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

That's not true, all evolved Pokemon are stronger than unevolved Pokemon no matter when you evolve them. But keep it a Wartortle if you want. Its your game so you get to do whatever you please.

Just don't use Wartortle when battling against other people because it will get creamed. =(

~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

enyce

banned
    Years
  • I love unevolved pokemon too

I never evolved my Grovyle =( ...But I have a Sceptile for actual battling

Flamman

still n00b, working on it!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2018
    i keep my torchic forever to be torchic, but i, as well, have a blaziken to do the fighhting.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I'm actually currently playing Ruby through without evolving any of my Pokémon (Apart from Torchic, which I'll keep as a Combusken and Tyrogue, because those two Pokémon just plain suck. =\). So far I have had no trouble at all. Roxanne gave me quite a hard time, though. The only Pokémon I had that could deal any real damage to her Pokémon was an Aipom with Iron Tail. n_n Snorunt and Torchic got their butts kicked right away, Tyrogue was just pathetic, Ralts isn't exactly the best choice against physical attackers and I haven't decided on my last party Pokémon yet.

So as you see, Aipom was my best choice against Roxanne. O.o

Katakoe

Blah!
    Years
  • Un-evolved pokemon have the advantage of usually learning their moves earlier. But when they evolve they get more power {speed, attack]

Ria

Minx Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Well, it depends on the pokemon, really, and of your definition of a fun game ^^; I mean, just about anyone can be a bigshot and waltz through the E4 with a pack of uber-powerful high-level pokemon roaring from behind his back, but if you prefer to use a bit of strategy, play the game longer and such, then go ahead and keep your wartortle. They're cool ^^; Personally, I prefer playing with unevolved, not-quite evolved or pokemon which don't evolve at all because I find it fun ^^; Plus, the unevolved pokemon are sooo cute! (there I said it :embarrass )

Jenvy

Gardevoir is the Disco Queen
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Dec 1, 2010
    True, the evolved Pokemon are stronger stat-wise, but there are a lot of moves you can only learn at certain evolutionary stages. Therefore, in some ways, unevolved Pokemon can be stronger.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Please provide an example where a pre-evolution learns a more powerful move than a fully evolved Poke because I don't believe there is one. While pre-evolved forms can learn moves EARLIER than evolved forms and sometimes DIFFERENT moves, they don't more powerful moves. The closest examples I can think of to what you are talking about are Scyther/Scizor and Slowbro/Slowking. Both examples do fine on their own and Slowbro is even a better choice competitively, but all evolved Pokes are stronger.

If you like unevolved forms because they are cuter, then that is fine, that is your choice. The game isn't like cartoon though. Your Wartortle won't be taking on any good fully evolved Pokes and win any time soon. Well, unless you are playing in-game against the AI, of course. Then even Squirtle could end up being a good choice.

Jenvy

Years
    • US
    • Seen Dec 1, 2010
    There are a few examples off the top of my head, like Treeko and Mega/Giga Drain, Torchic and Flamethrower, and Slakoth and Focus Punch.

All in all, you are correct. I was just saying how you can learn useful and powerful moves by not evolving. Of course, the best plan would be to evolve after you learn the move, to get strong stats too. It all depends on if the move is really worth waiting for. =)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Treecko may learn Giga Drain naturally, but it cannot learn Leaf Blade, which is far and away the most powerful Grass-type move in the game, or Earthquake or even Dragon Claw, like Sceptile. Torchic may learn Flamethrower naturally, but it cannot learn Sky Uppercut or Bulk Up or Earthquake like Blaziken can. Slakoth doesn't learn Focus Punch naturally, that is Vigoroth. Slakoth also cannot learn Earthquake. Vigoroth is, however, another example of a pre-evolution that is still usable. Not as powerful as Slaking, but not hampered by Truant either.

You pretty much summed it up though, that pre-evolutions can learn certain move sooner than their evolved counterparts, but final evolutions are always stronger, more versatile, and have better movesets.

Jenvy

Years
    • US
    • Seen Dec 1, 2010
    I accept my defeat in this argument. T_T
    Ah, well... I won't join the debate team any time soon! ^.^

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
  • It depends. Pikachu is awesome because of Light Ball. Clamperl is great too because at level 100 it can have as much as 270 Special Attack, which can be doubled by DeepSeaTooth to reach an amazing 540!

Scyther has better Speed than Scizor, while Scizor has better Defense.
    Nincada has good Defense, while Ninjask has good Attack and truely incredible Speed. There is much to consider about evolution.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Sigh. Pikachu and Clamperl have to hold special items in order to be effective. That has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Scyther has already been covered. If you want to use Nincada over Ninjask, be my guest. There is no denying which is the better of the two though.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Hasn't anyone mentiond that there are some moves that an evolved Pokemon can learn that an unevolved one can't. Say Charizard, once it evolves from Charmeleon, it can learn Wing Attack. Xatu, once evolved from Natu, can be taught Fly.

Yeah, I like some of these Pokemon because they're cute as they are. It'd be great if they had the oppertunity to take on a real opponent like Mewtwo and win.

Spencer

-_-
    Years
  • Well I don't really like the pre evolutions. I like the last evolution usually. So I don't think I have ever stoped one of my pokemon from evolving.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • Not all pre-evolutions are bad. Chansey is perfectly useable, as is Scyther. Vigoroth, Shelgon, Kadabra, there are certain Pokemon that still have uses even without evolving.

Back