• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen um...unevolved pokemon?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Yeah, but Slaking can hit harder in one turn than Vigoroth can in two.
    And Pikachu is only better than Raichu if it has both the Light Ball and Surf, and good luck getting those two.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    I thought you could only get surfing pikachu through an event.
    I learned the hard way about how weak the 1st evolutions were when I kept my Treecko from evolving cause Sceptile was so ugly (to me). My lv.100 Treecko had similar stats to my Lv.60 Latias that I was training. :shocked:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Well duh, that's because your Treecko is 40 levels higher. That doesn't make it good. If you trained your Latias to lv. 100, it would have much better stats than Treecko will ever have.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2007
    pardon my never posting before, but I feel I need respond to this, although your pokemon will become stronger with evolution, does not mean it doesn't have the potential to have the strength that its evolution has, use items like protiens and calciums(but I guess you could do that with the evolutions too and make them stronger :P)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    That is a common misperception with new trainers. What you fail to realize is that while you can use vitamins to increase your pre-evolutions to make their stats higher, you can also do the same thing with fully evolved Pokes to widen the gap once again. I am not understanding how this thread keeps living. Let me throw out a comparison to you, using a Lv100 Treecko and a Lv100 Sceptile. Let's even cheat and give both Pokes 31 IVs in every stat. Both Pokes also have had no EV training and have neutral Natures. First, here are the stats for Treecko:

Lv100 Treecko
    HP: 221
    Atk: 126
    Def: 106
    SAtk: 166
    SDef: 146
    Spd: 176

Now, let's compare them to the stats of a Sceptile:

Lv100 Sceptile
    HP: 281
    Atk: 206
    Def: 166
    SAtk: 246
    SDef: 206
    Spd: 276

No comparison, whatsoever, Now, let's pump our Treecko full of steroids......errrrr I mean "vitamins". Remember that you can only feed vitamins to a Poke until that stat has 100 EV points and that it takes 4 EV points to increase a stat by 1 point. That said, keep in mind that a Poke can only have a total of 510 EV points added to their stats. That means 510/6=85 and 85/4=21.25. To sum up, you can increase one stat by 22, and the rest by 21. Here are Treecko's stats, with the average stats included:

Lv100 Treecko
    HP: 242
    Atk: 147
    Def: 127
    SAtk: 187
    SDef: 167
    Spd: 198

As you can see, you are still not even close to the base stats of a Sceptile and we haven't even EV trained the Sceptile yet either. So, since averaging out a stat doesn't work, let's focus our EVs on a particular stat. The limit you can increase EVs on a Poke is 255, which means we can make out 2 stats, which will increase the stat by 63. Let's focus on SAtk and Spd, since that is what the Sceptile family is good at. Here are Treecko's stats again.

Lv100 Treecko
    HP: 221
    Atk: 126
    Def: 106
    SAtk: 229
    SDef: 146
    Spd: 239

Even with the two stats maxed, they STILL aren't as high as our untouched Sceptile. Not to mention the fact that the other stats that weren't maxed are much lower. Okay, last example. Let's cheat again and max out every stat. This is illegal and can only be done by cheating, but this is for arguments sake. So every stat on our Treecko increases by 63:

Lv100 Treecko
    HP: 284
    Atk: 189
    Def: 169
    SAtk: 229
    SDef: 209
    Spd: 239

In case you have forgotten, here is our Lv100 Sceptile that has still not received any EV training:

Lv100 Sceptile
    HP: 281
    Atk: 206
    Def: 166
    SAtk: 246
    SDef: 206
    Spd: 276

End result, our illegal Treecko is only 3 points higher in HP, Def, and SDef, while it is still 17 points short in Atk and SAtk, and a whopping 37 points behind in Spd. You can even give your Poke a beneficial Nature, which will increase one stat by 22 points, but it will also reduce another by 22.

So, as you can clearly see, even a cheated Treecko cannot match up to an untouched Sceptile. You can battle with unevolved Pokes because they are cute or what not, but PLEASE don't fool yourself into thinking that a pre-evolution can in any way be as strong as its fully evolved version.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Well said! Now I'm training an unevolved Grovyle to make up for Treecko's shortcomings. :laugh:
    'Cause I still dont like Sceptile!

FFX383

Pokemon Master
    Years
    well pre evolved forums learn better moves, like i ususally keep my torchic until i get to lvl 45 when it learns flamethrower becuase it is in most cases a better move then blaze kick, then i evolve fast 2 lvls later for the sky uppercut.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Once again, that is incorrect. Pre-evolutions learn moves SOONER, but very rarely do they ever learn BETTER moves.

For your example, you have to evolve Torchic to even allow it to learn a Fighting move at all, let alone Sky Uppercut. Also, you can teach Combusken or Blaziken Flamethrower as soon as you can buy one, which can be sooner than Torchic can learn it naturally (at Lv45!!), if you know how to maximize your money intake.

Another example is Treecko. It cannot even learn Leaf Blade, which is easily the best Grass move in the game (no, it isn't Solarbeam). It also cannot learn Dragon Claw or Earthquake or even False Swipe (if you like that move) while Sceptile can. Mudkip cannot learn Hydro Pump or Earthquake. There are too many examples to continue.

Not evolving Pokes has nothing to do with anything other than personal preference. If you don't evolve your Pokes, that is your choice, and that is what makes this game what it is. That said, don't kid yourself by thinking that an unevolved Poke can in some way be more powerful than a fully evolved one. In my previous example, you really have to stack the deck (by borderline cheating) in order for that to be true.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Well, the Treeckos have like a branching moveset.

If you keep treecko, you get moves off of absorb, being megadrain and gigadrain.

But Grovyle and Sceptile get more physical moves such as leaf blade, fury cutter and dragon claw through TM

and Aerial Ace for all three stages always comes in handy for Blaziken.

Arsibiyez

Volbeat. Beat. Beat. Vol. Vol.
    Years
    I hate butting in so suddenly, but I want to point out that it is not always a good idea to evolve your Pokes too quickly. There are certain moves that only the unevolved form can learn. Good examples are Shroomish's Spore and Giga Drain, Staryu's Cosmic Power and Hydro Pump, Seedot's Synthesis (and Explosion -_-), Surskit's Bubblebeam, Agility, Mist, and Haze... There are lots to mention. Although, it's undeniable that evolved forms of these Pokes are much better stat-wise, but physical appeal may decrease (Whismur - Loudred - Exploud is a great example). I'm sure that when fighting with the game's AI, you'd probably do great even with unevolved Pokes, but if you plan on battling any actual people, only use fully evolved forms to get maximum potential. Otherwise, your opponent should also be using unevolved Pokes. Personally, I'd love to see that battle take place. It would probably be fun to watch. :D

Flamman

still n00b, working on it!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2018
    i oly have one thingto show:
    base speed of anorith: 75
    armaldo's: 45
    there are others, but i'm to laizy to seek for them.

just depends on your strategy and your personal likes and don't likes.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Well, while you showed only one thing with your comparison, here is the rest of the story:

Anorith Base HP: 45
    Armaldo Base HP: 75

Anorith Base Attack: 95
    Armaldo Base Attack: 125

Anorith Base Defense: 50
    Armaldo Base Defense: 100

Anorith Base Sp. Attack: 40
    Armaldo Base Sp. Attack: 70

Anorith Base Sp. Defense: 50
    Armaldo Base Sp. Defense: 80

Anorith TOTAL Base: 355
    Armaldo TOTAL Base: 500

Now I don't know about you, but a 25 point increase in Speed (75 isn't that great to begin with) isn't worth the 170 point drop in all the other areas, specifically Atk, HP, and the defenses.

The bottom line is that the only benefit an unevolved form has over a fully evolved form is learning some moves earlier, which can be fixed with proper breeding anyway. For example, breeding a male and female Shroomish that knows Spore will produce a baby that knows it too.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    I never evolved my Skitty (because statistically Skitty> Evo) and actually, I kept a Magikarp up to level 48 in Blue Version because I heard that at 50 it turned to a Mew...one game I forgot and let it evolve D:

*wonders if it really would*

jc_rcw

:God:
    Years
    Actually Chibi:

Hp
    skitty: 50
    delcatty: 70

atk
    skitty: 45
    delcatty: 65

def
    skitty: 45
    delcatty: 65

spd
    skitty: 50
    delcatty: 70

sp.atk
    skitty: 35
    delcatty: 55

sp.def
    skitty: 35
    delcatty: 55

So yeah it would be better to evolve it >_> although it isn't the best pokemon out there.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Good point, jc. Here is how pathetic Skitty is. Its TOTAL Base stats are tied for the 36th WORST Poke in the game. Yes, that means there are 353 Pokemon in the game with better stats than Skitty. It doesn't get much better evolving it to Delcatty either. While it isn't the most pathetic fully evolved or evolution-less Normal-type (That goes to Aipom and Spinda), it is close. 20 points.

BTW - No, Magikarp doesn't evolve into Mew. Just another stupid rumor.

FFX383

Pokemon Master
    Years
    man shanedavis no need to diss everyone in here, if he dosent want a delcatty he dosent want one, its depends on what you like not which is the best.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Now I get to diss on you. LOL "I'm juss kidding". No, seriously, if you read Chibi's post again, they chose Skitty over Delcatty due to an ill-conceived notion that Skitty was better statistically. Then, jc came and corrected that assumption, and I was just emphasizing the fact that Skitty is one of the worst Pokes in the game, statistically.

I apologize if it seems I am dissing everyone, but people here are continually trying to justify their position with faulty reasoning. If Chibi said they prefer Skitty over Delcatty because it is cuter, that is fine. There is no argument as they are giving their opinion. I prefer evolved Pokes more because they look cooler. Neither opinion is wrong. Trying to suggest an unevolved Poke is stronger than a fully evolved Poke is, and that is why I have been repeating this over and over and over and over. Cuteness? Yes. Strength and statisticallly? NO.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    i'd suggest keeping a vigoroth as it is :P the evolved version is great but only attacks every 2 moves

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Yes, that is one of very few exceptions where the better choice is debatable, such as the ones that gain a type when evolving

Back