• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Anything I should no before starting USUM?

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
  • No spoilers, but is there anything I should know before starting the game? Now that I finally have the game, I want to make sure that my run is good, because when I was playing SM, I missed the Lucky Egg, and had to wait until the post-game to get it. Also, is it recommended that I try to hunt for a shiny starter? Because I don't want to sit through a hundred cutscenes. Thanks in advance

Years
  • if you don't want to sit through cutscene after cutscene, then don't bother starter shiny hunting until you're able to do the masuda method aka shiny breed for it.

other than that, im not really sure what to say here. usum being the third game is largely going to be the more "polished" version, although your mileage may vary with that.

Last edited:

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • if you don't want to sit through cutscene after cutscene, then don't bother starter shiny hunting until you're able to do the masuda method aka shiny breed for it.

other than that, im not really sure what to say here. usum being the third game is largely going to be the more "polished" version, although your mileage may vary with that.

Are there a million cutscenes before getting to look at your starter? ***dammit. Well, there's always Gen 8. :)

Years
  • Actually no. There are still cutscenes before you go to the festival that last about the same time, but you get your starter about five minutes in, if not less, with multiple battles to do within.

Yeah, it's long, and still a little boring, but they did make it more bearable, even if just by a little bit.

Put this next part in a spoiler, isn't story based but has some information on level changes.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • Actually no. There are still cutscenes before you go to the festival that last about the same time, but you get your starter about five minutes in, if not less, with multiple battles to do within.

Yeah, it's long, and still a little boring, but they did make it more bearable, even if just by a little bit.

Put this next part in a spoiler, isn't story based but has some information on level changes.
    Spoiler:

"Level spike" in foes?

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2020
    As a general rule, it's easiest for me to recommend the USUM games to someone who never played the originals. I do think they're genuinely worth playing, but if you played the original and you're in absolutely no mood for a revisit, you might wanna keep this one in the backlog for a bit.

If you wanna have a clean playthrough, then you should probably follow the advice, but again, I do recommend also being in the mood for a revisit to Aloloa's story in general.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • As a general rule, it's easiest for me to recommend the USUM games to someone who never played the originals. I do think they're genuinely worth playing, but if you played the original and you're in absolutely no mood for a revisit, you might wanna keep this one in the backlog for a bit.

If you wanna have a clean playthrough, then you should probably follow the advice, but again, I do recommend also being in the mood for a revisit to Aloloa's story in general.

Been some time since i visited Alola, so I'm cool replaying the story.

Back