• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When characters are "out of character" and it makes sense

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    Found this blog and I thought I'd make for an interesting thread. What are your thoughts on these "OOC" moments done right? Do you have any examples?

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    I actually do agree with it, and i say more this kind of "out of character" moments is something that makes the story grow better and make the characters look more like real persons, because we aren't 100% consistent with our personalities so neither our characters should.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • The post makes a lot of sense. I'll have to agree with what it said. If your character was like a rock that didn't move to any emotion, that would get a little boring.

Like with everything else, however, you just have to remember to keep everything in balance. Don't go overboard with the emotions, because that makes your character seem scripted and fake. It's all a balance and I think that this post put it pretty clearly.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • Well, in the case of "The Legend of Korra," the characters are actually very complex as opposed to "Avatar: The Last Airbender," in which they weren't. Korra and her friends actually have lives and aren't on a fixed quest the whole time the show is going on. It chronicles a lot of stuff going on all at once in each episode, which adds a lot of intrigue to the storyline. So, the characters aren't really acting out of character as opposed to reacting differently to drastic situations. I mean, there's even a degree of normality that constantly gets disrupted by the antagonists and it's up to Korra (as the Avatar) to straighten things out.

In the case of general fiction, only one rule applys: keep your characters consistent. This isn't to say that they have to follow one strict personality trait, but rather that they shouldn't just suddenly change their attitude on a whim. For instance, my character Seraph Furlong is generally cocky and stuck up, but she has compassionate and aggressive side that sometimes comes out when her friends are in danger or she's in the thick of battle and doesn't want to die (she's a tribal outcast, so she's learned to fend for herself when she has to).

Back