• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV One less season

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Similar to Hiatus's thread. Except with shows that you think should have ended at an earlier point for whatever reason.

I think most milked long running comedy sitcoms in general like Family Guy, The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory should of ended way earlier, namely because all the humor has been sucked dry. In The Simpson's case though, it was actually good at one point.

For classic cartoons, Spongebob Squarepants should of ended after season 3, like how Courage the Cowardly Dog ended after season 4 because the creator knew going any further would ruin the show. In Spongebob's case, he was 100% right, after Stephen Hillenburg left, and even if he stayed, the comedic genius and deeper meaning to the show would of still died off. Spongebob would of been perfect ending after season 3, it would have been remembered as a really good show.

Kind of semi-related but I think Doctor Who's 12th doctor era should have ended with The Doctor Falls instead of Twice Upon a Time.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Dexter and How I Met Your Mother come to mind - they seemed to get progressively worse with time, and in the former Dexter just lost a lot of what made him Dexter. HIMYM's finale was just a travesty imo - iirc what happened was that they actually planned how the show would end from the very beginning, except the didn't account for how the characters would change along the way and just kinda shoehorned in the ending they had planned like a decade ago, and it just didn't work as well as they thought it would have.

Long-running cartoons are fine, imo - with stuff like Family Guy and South Park, where the continuity isn't that important, it's nice to turn on something just mindless every now and again for a few laughs. The quality comes and goes for sure, but it doesn't matter that much since every episode is just 20 minutes of jokes and random gags for me.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Cartoon-wise, Fairly Odd Parents; it would be interesting to see how things would be if something entirely new were brought to the table.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Long running shows struggle to keep things fresh and relevant. Shows we come to love are short and rather chock full of jokes and dramatic scenes. Seeing as I love animated series(aka cartoons), some series that come to mind that are priceless gems are Gravity Falls, Clone Wars(prior to Disney. Ahsoka Tano deserves her own series or live action movie(if they can pull it off right that is)), Rebels(post Disney and although I'm a bit annoyed at how it ended with respect to Thrawn(he deserved better), it was actually pretty good) and Avatar franchise(be it the original trilogy or the sequel series). Could also throw in the French Anime Code Lyoko(low budget hampered it from being better).

Can add in Teen Titans(2003-2006) as well.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Shows that come to mind are Heroes and Lost, both got progressively worse until they finally ended. Also I'm often disappointed by Supernatural in the later seasons, though I still watch it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Sleepy Hollow likely needed a less season as well, although it was enjoyable initially.

pkmin3033

Smallville should not have gone past season 7. It just didn't work without the Clark/Lex dynamic, the Lois/Clark pair never really worked out because they went from friendly dislike to romantic interest in the space of a single season, and all those bad DC cameos...god, why. Doomsday and Zod were both handled terribly, and the ridiculous montage of villains that made up season 10, only for them to bring Lex back in the end, was absurd.

Stargate SG-1 didn't need seasons 9-10 either. It was basically a Farscape/Stargate crossover at that point...they even lampshaded that in the 200th episode. Season 8 wrapped up everything perfectly and they ruined it...although Continuum was a fantastic film and a good finish in its own way.

Watching the dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX has shown that the fourth season wasn't necessary either...maaaaybe the dub stopped one episode too soon, but the fourth season was awful.

Last edited:

ImMrRoboto

That's MISTER Roboto to you!
Years
Kind of semi-related but I think Doctor Who's 12th doctor era should have ended with The Doctor Falls instead of Twice Upon a Time.

Fun Fact: That was the original plan, but Chris Chibnall wasn't ready to write a Christmas Special, so Stephen Moffat has to write one because if BBC didn't submit an episode, they might not have been able to get that slot back.

And that is the story of how Steven Moffat saved Christmas.

Back