• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Coming back after not playing since 2nd gen

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2013
    Ok so I decided to start playing black and white 2 and I have few questions before I do something wrong/frowned upon

1. Is it better to play black and white 1 before 2, is it the same story and they justed added new features, are you the same person? Or is it a completely different story continuing from part one?

2. I've been seeing all these "pokemon generators" where a program sends a desired pokemon of your making to your character, I already know that using these pokemon in wifi battles is banned by Nintendo, but my question is are you allowed to use this service in order to get a pokemon for breeding and then use that baby pokemon that you trained in wifi battles?

3. Can someone PLEASE explain IVs to me in the simplest form possible, I understand what EVs are but no matter where I look for IV info. it just turns up some math equations and something about the stats going up by 0-31

Thank you for the help

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ok so I decided to start playing black and white 2 and I have few questions before I do something wrong/frowned upon

1. Is it better to play black and white 1 before 2, is it the same story and they justed added new features, are you the same person? Or is it a completely different story continuing from part one?

2. I've been seeing all these "pokemon generators" where a program sends a desired pokemon of your making to your character, I already know that using these pokemon in wifi battles is banned by Nintendo, but my question is are you allowed to use this service in order to get a pokemon for breeding and then use that baby pokemon that you trained in wifi battles?

3. Can someone PLEASE explain IVs to me in the simplest form possible, I understand what EVs are but no matter where I look for IV info. it just turns up some math equations and something about the stats going up by 0-31

Thank you for the help
    1. For starters, B2/W2 are sequels to the original B/W, thus they have different storylines.

3. Read this if you want to understand about IVs

I can't answer the second one, I'm afraid.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I can only answer the first question as the other two are beneath my area of knowledge.

Black and White 2 is a completely different storyline from Black and White. I seriously recommend you to start with B/W first as you will understand B/W2 much better and will enjoy your journey so much more. B/W2 will also mean a lot more to you as it did for me as you will have understood what had happened previously in B/W. You could read the synopsis and skip B/W, but it is really so much better experiencing the whole journey for yourself. This is my opinion, but it is up to you to decide. All the best! Become the Champion. :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2013
    Thanks for the link platinumdude, it does help, still a little confusing

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    Ok so I decided to start playing black and white 2 and I have few questions before I do something wrong/frowned upon

Thank you for the help
    1. B2 and W2 are direct sequels - they take place two years after the events of B and W and many of the same characters return. You play a different character than the one in BW. That said though, it's not really necessary to play BW first, since any information you might've needed from them is explained in B2W2 anyway.

2. I don't know for certain, but I would presume that the offspring of a generated pokemon would be fine, since so far as I know, the record for a particular pokemon contains no information about its parents, and all of the pertinent details about a pokemon - its stats and nature and moves and such - are pulled from internal lists, so it couldn't end up with something that it couldn't otherwise have.

3. Each pokemon has a set of base stats, which are used to figure the in-game stats for hit points, physical attack, physical defense, special attack, special defense and speed. The way it works is the game starts with the base stats (which are fixed for each species), then figures what the stats would be for level 100, then uses whatever fraction of those totals is proper for the current level. Along the way, it adds on the numbers for IVs - Individual Values. These are numbers from 0 to 31, and each pokemon has one for each stat. They're randomly assigned at the moment the pokemon is originally generated.

So as an example - Absol has a base Speed stat of 75. For whatever reason, the standard level 100 stat is two times the base stat plus 5, which would be 155. Then the game adds on any EVs that affect that stat and any IVs that affect it, then finally, if the nature calls for it, it either adds or subtracts 10% from the total. For simplicity, we'll assume that Absol has no Speed EVs and its nature doesn't affect Speed. So if this Absol has a Speed IV of 1, the level 100 stat for Speed would be 156 (155+1), while if it has a Speed IV of 31, the level 100 stat would be 186 (155+31). And to finish it off, presume that this Absol is level 50 - that's half of level 100, so it would get half of the stat - with an IV of 1, that'd be 78 (156/2) and with an IV of 31, that'd be 93 (186/2). Those numbers - 78 or 93 (or anything between the two, as appropriate) would be the numbers you'd actually see if you looked at the stats in-game, and are the numbers that are actually used by the game during a battle.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Puzzled about not understanding IVs.

IVs have been in Pokémon since 1st gen. The difference is that, until 2nd gen, they ranged from 0-15, and post 3rd gen they range from 0-31. Each stat has a random IV number. They're what determines how naturally strong your Pokémon is. More IVs in one stat is better, of course. Each IV accounts for 1 stat point at level 100.

IVs are what that random guy at the beginning of all games means when he says "no Pokémon is the same" and "some Pokémon are stronger than others". He's talking about IVs. A Pokémon with more IVs in each stat is stronger than another from the same species but less IVs.

EVs determine how "developed" a certain stat is, and are a very common denominator in RPGs. A Pokémon gains them by battling or using vitamins (Protein, etc.). Each vitamin adds 10 EVs to a stat. As for battling, each Pokémon gives a certain amount of EVs in one stat when you defeat them. For example, defeating a Zubat gives your Pokémon 1 EV point in Speed. There's a total EV cap. It's 510. Meaning you can have 252 EVs in one stat, 252 in another, and 6 EVs to be used elsewhere. Each stat can receive only 255 EVs max.

Base stats are represented in a numerical value and indicate the species potential in a given stat. For example, Alakazam has 135 base Special Attack, which is very high, but 45 base Defense, which is very low. A stat can be amplified by IVs and EVs, and also Natures.

Think of base stats as a species power, IVs as genetic capability, and EVs as the amount of mastership a Pokémon has in a stat.

BTW, using a Pokémon generated with a cheating device (and yes, PokéGen IS a cheating device) is NOT banned by Nintendo as long as the Pokémon passes a legality check. For that, it needs to have a valid PID number (it's a hidden number). In 4th gen, banned Pokés usually had 31 IVs in all stats, which is nearly impossible, and almost no "perfect" Pokémon had a valid PID number.

Aside from having a valid PID number, a legal Pokémon needs to have been caught in a place in the games where it can normally be caught (eggs can be hatched anywhere so they bypass this requirement), with a type of Poké Ball it can be caught with (so eggs and gift Pokémon CANNOT be caught with anything other than a regular Poké Ball) and needs to respect the total EV cap of 510. It also needs to have only moves it can learn one way or another.

Last edited:

AoE-Valcar

Whovian
    Years
  • Ok so I decided to start playing black and white 2 and I have few questions before I do something wrong/frowned upon

Thank you for the help

I'd probably have to say yes, do play B/W 1 before B/W 2 IF you want to know the storyline with how team plasma in B/W 2 thinks their old leader betrayed them and all the other references to B/W 1 (Which does happen quite a bit) other than that if you just want to play it out of the sheer enjoyment of playing then no dont play B/W 1. But if you ever want to play it for story go and pick up a copy of B/W 1, play it then replay 2 to understand the story to it!

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • 2. I've been seeing all these "pokemon generators" where a program sends a desired pokemon of your making to your character, I already know that using these pokemon in wifi battles is banned by Nintendo, but my question is are you allowed to use this service in order to get a pokemon for breeding and then use that baby pokemon that you trained in wifi battles?

Absolutely. If you were to create the two parent Pokemon and breed them, the offspring would be considered as a natural product of your game just like any other egg.

Back