• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen GameFreak used Reversal!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Recreating an older thread. :3

So imagine that it's not 2013. No, instead it's... the year Red and Blue were released to the English speaking public! But the catch? It isn't Red and Blue. It's Black and White. ;) How do you think the games would be received? Would the games do better than Red/Blue, if the graphics were downgraded, and everything else stayed the same (other than features?) Do you think that people would love Unova just as much, or more? What would be your thoughts on it if these were the originals? What about the sequels? Imagine B2W2 were the second games to follow on. Would these become the fan favourites without any new Pokemon? How would Pokemon itself have changed? Would've the complaints about Pokemon been less? Share any and all thoughts on this! Even stuff I haven't mentioned, either~

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I feel like if Black and White was released back then, it would be a completely different game, just because it feels like BW was created to bring what the fans liked and what new people could get in to, instead of being "just another Pokemon game."

I like to argue in Unova-Pokemon-are-ugly threads that Garbodor/Trubbish are just as ugly as Muk/Grimer and people would have reacted the same, but would they really have? Just looking at them, the latter are literally just piles of sludge while the first two I feel like do they have a more complex design. RB started out with simple Pokemon so it was easy to just get more complex from there. I actually think that if Muk/Grimer were released I probably would have been out there saying, "these Pokemon are way too simple!"

I think that people would have liked them just the same, but I think that the Pokemon franchise would have changed and went differently. Just look at Unova & Kanto - Unova is very urban and Kanto is kinda plain. If Unova had been first, would the regions just have went from complex > simple instead of the other way around?

On a sidenote RB were originally released on my bday

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years
  • That's an interesting question. Hmmm...

I don't think Black and White would have had the same impact. There weren't an overwhelming amount of Pokemon, and the battle mechanics weren't complex. Seriously, try to explain Pokemon battle mechanics to someone who doesn't play Pokemon, they'll look at you like you're insane. Simplicity was key.

Another thing that powered "Pokemania", was the glitches. Missingno, over level 100 Pokemon, Rare Candies, and Mew. There aren't interesting things like that in Pokemon anymore.

Back