• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to Use RMXP In Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
Please go to the new thread for an up-to-date version of this tutorial. Also, please do not post in this thread. It has been necroposted several times, and it should just be allowed to sit. I know it is helpful, but please, if you want to thank me, do it through PMs. The same goes if you have any questions.

Now, I know quite a few of us have had this problem. We get a brand-spanking-new computer, with the Vista operating system, and then we try to install a program to use called RPG Maker XP. Well, it installs just fine, and we think everything is fine. Then, when you boot up the program, you get a stupid little error that says something to the effect of "Failed to obtain a trial serial number from the nTitles server." or some such thing, and then the program shuts down. No matter what you try, from allowing the program through your firewall to shutting off every last vestige of your internet security, it just keeps giving you that error. Well, thanks to another community member here, we have a solution! Before I give the solution, I want to thank blahblah953 for solving the problem for us. Anyway, on to the tutorial!

NOTE: You do NOT need to follow these steps to run an already-built game on Vista! So long as the game directory has all the necessary files AND rgss102e.dll you can run the game anyway! (Also, if the game was NOT made with the official version of RMXP, go into the game's .ini file and change the necessary .dll file to rgss102e.dll, and insert rgss102e.dll)

1. Go to your root RMXP directory. (Usually C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\RPGXP)

2. Right click RPGXP.exe and choose "Properties".

3. In the "Properties" popup, go to the "Compatibility" tab.

4. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

5. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

6. If you cannoth check the box mentioned in step 5, follow steps 7 through 11.

7. Click on the button that says "Show settings for all users".

8. Click the "OK" button on the "Windows needs your permission to continue" button, after inputting the password of the specified administrator if necessary.

9. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

10. Check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator".

11. Click the "OK" button.

12. Click the "OK" button.

13. Right click PSIKey.dll and choose "Properties".

14. In the "Properties" popup, go to the "Security" tab.

15. Click on the "Advanced" button.

16. Highlight the permission entry that says "Users ([your computer's name]\Users)" where [your computer's name] is whatever you named your computer. (Mine is Media-PC)

17. Click the "Edit..." button.

18. Highlight the group "Users ([your computer's name]\Users)".

19. In the popup that appears (It should be named "Permission Entry for PSIKey.dll"), check the "Allow" box for the option "Full Control".

20. All of the "Allow" boxes below the box you just checked should now be checked as well.

21. Click the "OK" Button.

22. Check the box that says "Include inheritable permissios from this object's parents".

23. Click the "OK" button.

24. Click the "OK" Button.

25. Click the "OK" Button.

26. Run RPG Maker Xp, and you should no longer get the error message!

27. If you still get the error message, log into the administrative account on the computer (With the owner's permission) and then run RPG Maker XP. It should work no matter what on that account, after you have successfully completed the above stps.

28. Have fun building games with the legal version of RPG Maker XP!

Now, fo those of you who think it is the Vista firewall that causes this problem, you are quite wrong. The problem is an issue with Vista itself, and has nothing to do with the internet connection or firewalls. THe real problem is that vista has too intricate of a security system for RPG Maker XP to be able to even TRY to access the internet before you nudge it down the right path. So, now no one has the excuse to use an illegal version of RPG Maker Xp in Vista!

FYI, Enterbrain just released a Japanese update for RPG Maker XP (Version 1.03) that allows it to be used on Vista. That is proof enough that it wasn't any kind of firewall.

Last edited:

Illusion Gaming

RMXP Pro
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 10, 2007
wow i have to show this to my friend who's been dieing to play my rmxp games but can't since he gots vista. Thanks! ^^ I'll post back if it works for him later

Glitchfinder

Years
wow i have to show this to my friend who's been dieing to play my rmxp games but can't since he gots vista. Thanks! ^^ I'll post back if it works for him later

Actually, you don't have to do this to play an RMXP game in Vista. All you have to do for that is include RGSS102E.dll in the main folder of the project, and all the files (images, music, etc.) that you used in their proper folder in the project files.

Illusion Gaming

RMXP Pro
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 10, 2007
Actually, you don't have to do this to play an RMXP game in Vista. All you have to do for that is include RGSS102E.dll in the main folder of the project, and all the files (images, music, etc.) that you used in their proper folder in the project files.

I always release my game like that but he said it doesn't work for so idk =x, still haven't showed him since he hasn't gotten online yet

Glitchfinder

Years
I always release my game like that but he said it doesn't work for so idk =x, still haven't showed him since he hasn't gotten online yet

Well, did you put RGSS102E.dll in the main folder of the project? Also, once you have all the necessary files, disable the RTP, because that could mess it up. (And really, tell him/her to click on the game .exe, which looks like an orange gear, and not the project file)

Illusion Gaming

RMXP Pro
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 10, 2007
yeah i know all about that stuff i always do it like that (look at my title rmxp pro >=P). i showed him this, and he said he tried it once but i doesn't work for him, and he said that its because his vista is too updated or something >.>....(I think he's just to lazy to try >=o)

spike6958

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 30, 2021
i dont know why but i have done everthing is says in this tutorial but i still can't use rmxp(i have the trial version so i havn't wasted any money) or play any games made in it :(

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2008
It won't let me start a new project once I get it all working.
It says:
"Failed to copy folder"

What do I do?

Spritah out~

Esai Two

Vista Status: Hates Me
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2008
are you still running RMXP with admin permissions.. otherwise it won't like having to copy from the Program Files to Documents. After you've made the project you can open it and add resources without needing admin permissions.

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2008
Alright, all I had to do was give Users full control of the Program Files/RMXP folder.

Spritah out~

Glitchfinder

Years
When I try to play a BGM, I get a message saying, "Critical Error C0000005 at address 00000000"

Please help.

My suggestion is to make sure your computer can play midi files. (That's what the bgms are) Go to C:/Program Files/Common Files/Enterbrain.../BGM(I think) and test the files. If your computer can't play the midis then you need a midi synthesizer. (or, as is the problem with so many windowsw computers, it doesn't have one selected. Go into Control panel to check, under sounds and audio devices)

Yoshiko75

Shadow of the Night
Years
I cannot find the Compatibility tab under Properties. What should I do?

Last edited:

Glitchfinder

Years
I cannot find the Compatibility tab under Properties. What should I do?

If you can't find it that way, go into the "Help and Support" menu of Windows and search compatibility. It should give you at least one result that gives a link to the compatibility wizard, which does the same thing.

EDIT: I just updated my first post with a small disclaimer related to using pre-built games on Vista.

<strong>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back