• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacttus

Sigh
Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2016
    I just think it's a popularity count.

Jason: Those are considered spamming, [birthday, thanking someone for your rep]

I thought the negative rep is for not liking a post, not the personality of the person.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • + I bring the fire says:
    [20:00:09] Musashi: Me and Azzie are repping each other right now
    [20:00:11] Musashi: legitimate posts
    [20:00:15] Musashi: and making our rep comments sound smart
    [20:00:25] Musashi: that's how you play the game :]
    [20:00:26] + I bring the fire: You think they won't realize?
    [20:00:35] Musashi: Musashi says:
    the higher staff have nothing to go by other than the posts and the words
    [20:00:38] Musashi: That's all they see in the ACP
    [20:00:44] Musashi: I know, I've seen the vB ACP
    [20:00:52] Musashi: it goes like this
    [20:01:07] Musashi: Member Name Rep Comment Power Delete rep
    [20:01:08] Musashi: something like that
    [20:02:27] + I bring the fire: They'll notice that you two are repping each other..

May I ask what this means exactly Derrick?

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • I actually laugh when people give me bad reputation. Funnily enough, I actually deserve it most of the time. I find it amazing how seriously some people take on this matter.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Lately, it seems many members have been abusing the reputation system. The community staff's stance is that this will not do.

There are two issues that have arisen lately in regards to the reputation system. The most major issue that has come up within the past week is what I'll refer to as "reputation parties". It seems a great amount of the community's members have been pointlessly handing out reputation - if to increase the reputation blocks (
    reputation_pos.gif
    reputation_pos.gif
    reputation_pos.gif
    ) in a person's account or whatever the case. There have been an alarming number of members with a high amount of blocks as a result of abuse.

Also something that has happened for a while are members handing out negative reputation to other members illegitimately - be it members giving bad reputation with flaming comments to other staff when threads are locked, or, comments to other members that are completely disrespectful to the member.

The staff will begin to infract members who abuse the reputation system. This issue isn't new to the community, so I'll have to warn that if the system continues to be abused, the staff may consider disabling the system permanently. It appears that a select group of members have been sending SPAM reputation in the system - we do not want to turn off this system just because of a select group of offenders, but we may have to if this abuse continues.

Well, that's good. 'Cause I saw many members with 4 or more bars, which is totally suspicious...

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    I just think it's a popularity count.

If I remember correctly it's actually a lot better in those respects than it used to be.

It's good to let members know when they've made a post of a good quality, that way they are more likely to keep making them more worthwhile.

Cacttus

Sigh
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2016
    If I remember correctly it's actually a lot better in those respects than it used to be.

It's good to let members know when they've made a post of a good quality, that way they are more likely to keep making them more worthwhile.

In that case VM or PM the person.

Most of my reps are from PCers that thought I was kind to them, so saying Thank you would be considered spam ?

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • If I remember correctly it's actually a lot better in those respects than it used to be.

It's good to let members know when they've made a good post, that way they are more likely to keep making more worthwhile posts.

I'd rep this because it's a good system of reward for wit, a great argument, a hilarious post that makes someone's day, or a point well proved cept repping in this thread might be somewhat sketch XD.

But yes, like I just stated above, that's what you rep for. Not birthdays, or negative repping someone because they're acting like a 'jerk'.

Perhaps the rep-by-20(30?) person limit should be increased so friends can't just be repping each other at random. Quality folks.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • I know dang well what that means. But even so, it's repping each other with LEGITIMATE reasons, and LEGITIMATE posts. So what if I sounded mischievous? Does that give you a good enough reason to pounce on me? This means that the rep I'm giving is actually LEGITIMATE this time, despite of HOW I worded it. You guys too kit like "omg he's going to fool us totally".

C'mon now. :|

It's not legit if you're repping someone just because you like them. Sure, I like a lot of people on PC. But I don't rep them when they haven't done something commendable. Maybe someone should make some questions to ask when thinking,

"Is this post reputable?"
    1. Does it contribute to ANYTHING?
    2. What has this post done to help me/someone else/PC?
    3. What's been said in this post that's different from every other post?
    4. Did I just go to this person's profile and find the last post they made?
    5. Am I doing this just to get Reputation back?

^^ EVERYONE should try thinking these before rep. If you can't answer any of these, you're not using rep the way it's supposed to be.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
  • WHy not just keep the rep. points but make it once a day for people (lets say) 500 post or more and once a week for people under 500

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • The rules never said be specific with your reputation. And that's where I'm getting at, before all of this silly mess happened. :| I'm asking a simple reword, jeez.

The rules were also made thinking everyone would be mature and level-headed about all of this too. Don't argue something like that.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • If I remember correctly it's actually a lot better in those respects than it used to be.

I don't see how the reputation effectively shows that a person does post good quality posts. A person with many friends (aka everyone on the first page if you order every member in descending of reputation points) will obviously have an easier time accumulating reputation points. People who would rather be outcasts or would rather not make friends would obviously find it harder. The system is biased to the more popular still no matter which angle I look at from. vBulletin's reputation system is clearly flawed. It makes me wonder why it was ever turned back on.

There are systems like MyBB's which is slightly better because each person can only give feedback on the other person once and the username is also revealed. =\

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Give good reputation for a reason.
    The reputation is for rating posts. Don't give out rep and request to get rep back. Reputation shouldn't be given out just to your friends. Try to give it out to posts that you really like and give it out only on occasion or else it's pointless.

That kind of contradicts what you just said. D:

Cacttus

Sigh
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2016
    WHy not just keep the rep. points but make it once a day for people (lets say) 500 post or more and once a week for people under 500

Except the fact your taking a privilege away from new members. They don't know anyone when they come here, why should they have less power.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • Derrick, I was the one who pruned your rep, so let me say this:

It'll be a very rare circumstance where repping someone in The count to infinity thread is justified, unlike you and the other abusers seem to think. =/

AuraAshley

Years
  • Except the fact your taking a privilege away from new members. They don't know anyone when they come here, why should they have less power.

true but maybe its them doing this? rep. should be a privilage that you have to work towards

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Thankfully, All the rep I now have was well earned. I've posted around quite a bit and have been gaining good rep.

Though I'm not surprised that the rep system is being abused again. I think anyone caught abusing rep should have their ability to give/take/recive rep points taken.

Zet

Years
  • Derk theres no real reason as to try to convince them that what you're doing is justified, spam repping is pretty much what you and your friend are going to do

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    What you're saying is don't ask for rep back.

I know what occasional means; I'm not an idiot. But thanks for the definition anyway.

Um, no. Not really. What I'm saying is is that there's a difference from handing out rep for a specific reason and handing out rep as if they were cookies; which is basically the point of this announcement, anyway. Just because you like a post doesn't mean it deserves rep.

AuraAshley

Years
  • all im gonna say about this is this, i think n00bs << like me XD<< shouldnt have the right to rep until they get to a certain amount of posts. if, whoever, is doing this continues we might not even have rep anymore. so thats why maybe set a restriction to it. maybo if you have a certain amount of posts you can rep, or how long youve been registered or w.e

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back